Destroy doors after using them a few time

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2016, 22:45

Destroy doors after using them a few time

I suggest to destroy doors after opening/closing them a few times (the number can be random). Current situation is not fun and it can be easily fixed unlike stairdancing or pillardancing.

Code:
You miss the giant gecko. The giant gecko bites you.
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
Huge Dmg: -17%(-4hp) hp: 25%(6hp)
You hit the giant gecko.
You kill the giant gecko!
You see here a giant gecko corpse.
You close the door.
A goblin opens the door.
You close the door. A goblin opens the door.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2016, 23:14

Re: Destroy doors after using them a few time

Doors shouldn't be closable at all.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
and into, VeryAngryFelid

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 01:21

*shrug* it's a less annoying version of pillardancing. I don't think it's a problem. At least it's not as big of problem as pillardancing and there is no way to fix that.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
Speleothing

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 02:17

I think recovering hp by repeatedly closing a door on a monster is one of the more fun aspects of the early game. Has a kind of bugs bunny charm.
The Original Discourse Respecter

For this message the author goodcoolguy has received thanks: 10
dracos369, Floodkiller, JFunk, Leszczynek, nago, Rast, runewalsh, Sar, Speleothing, zackoid

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 13:29

I think of it as a coarse modelling of the common cinema situation where there's a big nasty monster on the other side of the door and you're desperately trying to hold it shut. Maybe there should be more ways to destroy doors than walls and some of the monsters could use them, but it seems like a lot of effort for little obvious reward.

For this message the author Chicken has received thanks: 4
JFunk, Sar, Speleothing, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 13:39

Chicken wrote:I think of it as a coarse modelling of the common cinema situation where there's a big nasty monster on the other side of the door and you're desperately trying to hold it shut.

I like this idea. You close the door, monster opens the door, you are trying to close the door again and here it can fail based on how many times it has already been closed/opened with message like "You tried closing the door but goblin was stronger and prevented you from doing that". It's like constriction for doors ;)

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 19:00

You will never be able to destroy my dream of re-enacting GoT scenes in Crawl at my leisure.

OgMo^Ely in TLA slamming the door on a line of wights in a hallway, :'ing HODOR over and over.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 19:51

It currently can fail by energy randomization. The monster will eventually get a turn and step in the door.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 20:06

Hurkyl wrote:It currently can fail by energy randomization. The monster will eventually get a turn and step in the door.

Yes, you can press and hold "c" until you get a message about inability to close door. This is what other players reference as "less annoying" I guess.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 21:10

VeryAngryFelid wrote:I suggest to destroy doors after opening/closing them a few times (the number can be random). Current situation is not fun and it can be easily fixed unlike stairdancing or pillardancing.

Now I am wondering how many times a door swings during its life. It must be in the tens of thousands?

Anyway, I noticed the problem sometimes, but it only works with single monsters or in corridors. I guess one could add something like random energy to the time required to open or close a door, so that it doesn't always work.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 8th September 2016, 02:44

I feel like the simplest implementation of this (besides no closing doors) would be to give doors a chance to be destroyed whenever a monster opens them. As long as the chance isn't too low, you don't need to keep track of any sort of door HP if you don't want to, you could just leave it up to chance. And, of course, the obvious flavor is that monsters sometimes decide to just smash the door instead of opening it (this flavor is enhanced if stronger monsters are more likely to smash the door, but I'm not sure if that's worth the increased opaque spoileriness).

Return to Game Design Discussion