Corpse Throwing for Large Races

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 22:23

Corpse Throwing for Large Races

This is an idea that I originally posted on the ranged combat page of the development wiki a few months ago: (at the bottom of the page of https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... instorm:rc), where it seemed to get a pretty enthusiastic response. However, nothing seemed to come of it, so I'd just like to reshash it again here, where there's room for a little more discussion. (I'm a tiles player (although a very long time tiles player), so I guess I'm not in touch with the rest of the crawl community as much, except on the SA forums)

For reference, here it is again:

I propose that large races (Ogres, Trolls, and perhaps, to a lesser extent, Draconians) be allowed to more effectively throw large objects… and more specifically, corpses. The justification that this should be allowed at all is that:

• They currently can throw large rocks, which weigh 60 AUM, with ease (for reference, the same AUM as an orc corpse)
  • It would be small boost to the otherwise underpowered large races by opening up more strategic variety
  • and it would give some reason for these large races to further increase strength, which they currently have in abundance but don't see much benefit from.
There already exist some mechanics for throwing corpses. Currently, (letting Corpse AUM = CAUM, although I think this formula holds for any thrown object of a given AUM), for all races:

• For CAUM-3⇐STR, you can't throw the corpse
  • For CAUM>=STR>=CAUM-2, you can throw the corpse up to 2 spaces
  • For CAUM+5>=STR>=CAUM+1, you can throw the corpse up to 4 spaces
  • For STR>=CAUM+6, you can throw the corpse up to 8 spaces
I say “up to” because you can use portal projectile to exactly place the corpse, if you want to.

The bad news is that its mostly impossible to throw a corpse for practical purposes because very few enemies have a corpse AUM of 20 or less (Giant bats, newts, killer bees, mosquitoes and blowflys, snakes, etc.), and even fewer with corpse weights within the 20-39 range. Goblins have a CAUM of 40, and orcs have a CAUM of 60. (many things are in the 60ish range, actually). I think that given the current formula, Str should be multiplied by about 3 for the purposes of throwing objects for large races, so that a Str of 21 could let you throw an orc corpse up to 4 spaces. For normal-sized races, the multiplier should be 2, so that a human with a freakishly large Str of 31 could throw an orc.

Now finally, the question is: why would you WANT to throw a corpse? I'll give 3 fantastic and fabulous reasons:

• Try picturing yourself as a monstrous Jolly Green Giant, an insane terror of the dungeon (your brain infested with spores and vines and all that other good planty stuff) that's divinely driven to rip the Sacred Flesh from the bones of the nonbelievers to build a vessel and platform of your God's “Good Word.” Just as Howard Beale was chosen to spread the corporate cosmology of Arthur Jensen in Network, the best evangelist is one who can bring his message directly to the people! The main use that I see for throwing corpses is for larger Fedhas followers to use with corpse explosion, AKA reproduction. Toss a corpse behind a big group of enemies as a “seed” and then proceed to use the subsequent corpses created by the explosion (or by evolving the produced ballistos) to help take out the rest.
  • A similar use, although markedly less dramatic and markedly harder to use given the smaller effect radius, is to combine a thrown corpse with the lvl 2 Necromancy spell Corpse Rot. Portal Projectile would be a must here.
  • Creating undead far away from you. It's as if your Ogre Death Knight worked shipping for Dungeon Crawl Postal Service: “Neither Rain, Nor Heat, Nor Gloom of Night / Shall Keep my Zombies from a Fight!”
  • If some changes with evocable items go through, in that there could be large, single-use effects, then this feature request might couple nicely with that.

The "Jolly Green Giant" idea would also sync well with the trend of giving uniques God powers - a "Jolly Green Giant" could be a a unique Hill Giant with Fedhas powers and a human corpse in his ammo slot. (and maybe also, keeping in with the vine-infested brain in the description above, he could randomly confuse himself for a turn every few turns, which could actually be hilarious).

I'd also like to note that many players have been interested in a "trapper" style of play, and making more versatile use of corpses could be a way to facilitate that without a whole new god or whatever.

Finally, as mentioned on the wiki page, it would be very easy to implement a test version that functioned the same as large-rock throwing (code for which is posted on that page), and I don't think would be too hard to tweak to make it more dependent on Str if that become necessary for balance reasons.

So what do y'all think? Best Feature Request of the year? Or best Feature Request of all time? :lol:

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 02:34

Re: Corpse Throwing for Large Races

Why not take it one step further? Large races can throw low level mobs into other mobs. Take that rat and chuck it at a snake, or an orc, or a death yak!
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 02:57

I haven't seen much of the new "trample" effect of elephants yet, but the thought I had right away is that if you threw a big heavy corpse at something, it would have a chance of knocking that something back a square or two. It could be a way to create some distance in a corridor to buy time. I love the flavour - picture troll tearing one orc to shreds, then picking up the carcass and hurling it at the orc's buddy.

Alternately, it could "stun" or knock the breath out of something - leave the victim dazed for 1-2 turns.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 12:50

danr wrote:I haven't seen much of the new "trample" effect of elephants yet

Oooh! That sounds fun.

I love Crawl's elephants... the Lair vault with the Dire Elephant statues is a very favourite thing. Anything that makes elephants even cooler, is cool :)
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 13:17

I like it, including the numbers (factors 3 and 2). If we get a patch, I'll lobby for pushing it into trunk.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 18:21

Would love to see this! I think throwing big things in general could be good, although corpses is my favourite. Possibly if you could enchant them (crusader style) you could lob them with an additional effect (take this burning orc corpse, you dastardly spiny frog!!)? I'd also love to see the whole knocking back effect, possibly for anything over 50AUM (increasing with weight?)?
Another, slightly gruesome effect (wait, we're talking about throwing corpses...), but perhaps if you threw a corpse of the same type of creature (orc v orc) it could 'disgust' it into skipping a few turns, slightly the same as being dazed by the weight.

Great idea though!
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 20:11

danr wrote:I haven't seen much of the new "trample" effect of elephants yet, but the thought I had right away is that if you threw a big heavy corpse at something, it would have a chance of knocking that something back a square or two. It could be a way to create some distance in a corridor to buy time. I love the flavour - picture troll tearing one orc to shreds, then picking up the carcass and hurling it at the orc's buddy.

Alternately, it could "stun" or knock the breath out of something - leave the victim dazed for 1-2 turns.

I like this idea. You could also throw a corpse (or any heavy enough object) and possibly knock a monster into (or possibly out of) deep water or lava or any other hazard.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 05:51

dpeg wrote:I like it, including the numbers (factors 3 and 2). If we get a patch, I'll lobby for pushing it into trunk.

Cool! There was a developer on the wiki who seemed interested in the patch, evktalo; I wonder if he reads these boards?

I'd also like to note that further experiments have shown that Portal Projectile now does seem to let you portal a projectile anywhere within line of sight, regardless of your strength, which wasn't possible the last time I tried. I'm not sure if this is the intended behaviour or if it should be changed to account for AUM.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 11:36

GermanJoey wrote:
dpeg wrote:I like it, including the numbers (factors 3 and 2). If we get a patch, I'll lobby for pushing it into trunk.

Cool! There was a developer on the wiki who seemed interested in the patch, evktalo; I wonder if he reads these boards?

Sure, and I'm +1 with the change too. But probably not coding it.

GermanJoey wrote:I'd also like to note that further experiments have shown that Portal Projectile now does seem to let you portal a projectile anywhere within line of sight, regardless of your strength, which wasn't possible the last time I tried. I'm not sure if this is the intended behaviour or if it should be changed to account for AUM.

I tried to search the git logs, but didn't find a related commit.

--Eino

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 11:42

GermanJoey wrote:I'd also like to note that further experiments have shown that Portal Projectile now does seem to let you portal a projectile anywhere within line of sight, regardless of your strength, which wasn't possible the last time I tried. I'm not sure if this is the intended behaviour or if it should be changed to account for AUM.

What is the general opinion on Portal Projectile? I am not convinced about this spell (but I liked and still like the branding spells for ammunition).

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 10th January 2011, 01:20

evktalo wrote:
GermanJoey wrote:

Sure, and I'm +1 with the change too. But probably not coding it.

I could code it and be happy to do it, but I have no setup where I could actually compile and test whether the code is correct, unfortunately. =[

evktalo wrote:

I tried to search the git logs, but didn't find a related commit.

--Eino

Well, the last time I tried shenanigans with corpses and portal projectile was in 0.6, I think. All the other data was taken with the recent trunk build.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 10th January 2011, 01:28

dpeg wrote:

What is the general opinion on Portal Projectile? I am not convinced about this spell (but I liked and still like the branding spells for ammunition).

I've used Portal Projectile effectively in the past for a few things:

1.) It's really good if you have a ranged character that uses summons or zombies, so that you can stand back behind your wall of servants and still dish out damage.
2.) It's hand for making large rocks more accurate
3.) It's useful at delivering critical ammo like dispersal-branded arrows and darts. You can actually do lots of tricky stuff with PP + dispersal ammo, especially combined with using clouds to control the blinking. E.g. you can dig-out priests in a hoard of units like on a ziggurat (or at least blink them out of LOS).

Its a fairly niche spell, though. The only character where I'd use it with any regularity would be that first one, like maybe with a dwarven or high elf priest of yred or something like that.

For this message the author GermanJoey has received thanks:
mageykun

Return to Game Design Discussion