Let's Talk About Hex: A Compilation Thread

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 20th August 2011, 09:05

Re: Let's Talk About Hex: A Compilation Thread

Thought this topic was going to be about hex tiles :(

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 20th August 2011, 19:49

RFHolloway wrote:Could combine the two ideas and have a separate unresistable spell to reduce resistance. - perhaps called hypnotise. Probably level 2 or 3, with perhaps a mass hypnotise at level 5 or 6

If you're going to have the one spell that's irresistable why not go all out and make a bunch of high-power irresistible Hexes?

Edit: I had an idea a while ago, before the Hexes-reduce-MR suggestion came up. In a brief nutshell, it would be a Hex/Conj or Hex/Summ spell that conjured or summoned a small number of creatures (I pictured them as flying, fast, ethereal worm-like creatures made of magical energy) that would attack the target, and on a successful attack, instead of doing damage, they would attach to the creature and begin sucking away its MR over a few turns. They would start out friendly but if they couldn't find a target in time they would go neutral and could turn around and attack the player.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 08:33

The idea of temporary MR reduction by unsuccessful hexes sounds great to me, but especially when it comes to hexing wands, because as of now, they are useless in mid-to-lategame. Also, how would this change reflect in hexes cast on player? Would it make him more banish-able?

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 23:33

I don't think there's a problem in Hexes. It's just the abundance of boring omni-resistant enemies in the middle/late game that makes this school weak in the long run.

MR reduction sounds kind of interesting, but will be a major pain to balance. I can see it being either OP or useless. Maybe as a some sort of Ash ability which power depends on both Invocations and Hexes skill?

Disclaimer: I wasn't anywhere near late game since 0.5, even in wizmode, I did spectate a lot of games on webtiles.
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion