Book of Flames

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 04:02

Re: Book of Flames

It would be nice if fire elementalists got conjure flame back, yeah. Bolt of magma also seems questionable for FE. Consider that all the other elementalists start with ONLY their element now (ice elementalists too, since they no longer have freezing cloud). Fire elementalists, on the other hand, get a spell that is fire/earth.

I think a good FE book would be something like

Code:
Flame Tongue, Throw Flame, Conjure Flame, Inner Flame, Sticky Flame, Fireball

With fireball being moved to level 5. This keeps them pure fire, means they don't start with any spells above level 5, and keeps a fairly good progression of spells. I also think there is a reasonable balance here between attack and defense.

And as an added bonus, the book of flames would be 5/6 spells with "flame" in their names.

For this message the author evilmike has received thanks: 5
dolphin, MyOtheHedgeFox, Roderic, ryzol, tazoz

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 13:24

minmay wrote:Can we at least have Conjure Flame back?

Ouch. I haven't tried an FE since 0.8, and I'm not inclined to go back any time soon without Conjure Flame in the starting book. I'm one of the weirdos who (back in the day) got Conjure Flame up even before Throw Flame, as blocking a corridor and blasting Flame Tongue through the cloud was a more efficient use of MP and hunger than Throw Flame. (Not to mention barbecuing player ghosts.)

Area denial is of immense tactical value to squishy builds.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 15:45

I was vaguely planning to just remove Inner Flame and add Conjure Flame again, when the new Arcane Marksmen book goes in (with Inner Flame in that instead). However (even though I'm still not entirely convinced Fireball ought to be level 5), I suppooooose evilmike's proposal might be worth a try. :P

Plus that way Inner Flame would have some synergy with Conjure Flame to keep stuff away, which might be fun.

(Also, Flameball???)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 16:11

Ball of Flame sounds less corny than flameball. So do Blast of Flame, Flame Blast, and Flambé.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 16:19

on moving fireball to level 5: while it's three-school, the comparison with freezing cloud hurts quite a bit. i'm all for it.
i haven't used inner flame yet, so nothing to say to that. conjure flame *was* useful, though.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 16:21

Book of Flames is currently the only book with Bolt of Magma (since Conjurations (Fire/Earth) was removed).

Unless you are planning to remove the spell completely, we should probably think about what other book it should be put in. Book of the Earth? Book of Power?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 16:40

It's actually in the book of Earth already (replacing Maxwell's Silver Hammer which was removed). And yeah, I'd probably add it to the book of Power (replacing Teleport Other which doesn't seem to fit in it). Also I just thanked instead of quoting again, oops.

Edit: done. Like I said though, I'm not 100% convinced that Fireball should be level 5 so it might need adjusting again. But it's worth a try for a bit at least.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 20:53

evilmike wrote:I think a good FE book would be something like

Code:

This is a good spell book. This would fix most of my complaints with FE/Fire Magic. Conjure Flame provides the utility, and makes Inner Flame more useful by providing a way to keep monsters away. I think Inner Flame might need tweaks like smite targeting, but these are the spells to give a FE.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 22:07

Luckily this is exactly what it's already been changed to in trunk, see my post above! :P

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 00:45

Code:

You need to change the background to Flame Elementalist. And then rename that odd-ball spell to "Ball of Flame". That'll make it a good theme book.

Return to Game Design Discussion