New God who connects HP to damage

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2016, 15:08

New God who connects HP to damage

Some other games have damage depend on HP remaining, it looks weird than almost dead monster or PC still attacks as efficiently as full HP monster/PC so the god is built around changing that.

Gives piety for killing monsters.
Takes away piety for losing almost dead monsters from view.

Abilities:
* Weak monster link. Any damage from targeted monster scales linearly with monster HP: 100% for full HP monster, 75% for almost dead monster. Active, instant, 0% failure rate, costs 1-2 piety, duration depends on Invocations, gives Exh status while active and during some time after expiration, cannot be activated if Exh.
** Weak PC link. Any damage from PC scales linearly with PC HP: 125% at full HP, 75% at almost dead. Also gives Regeneration while active. Active, instant, 0% failure rate, costs 3-4 piety, duration depends on Invocations, gives Exh status while active and during some time after expiration, cannot be activated if Exh.
*** Strong monster link. The same mechanic as weak monster link except it is 100% at full HP and 50% at almost dead. Costs 5-6 piety.
**** Strong PC link. The same mechanic as weak PC link except it is 150% at full HP and 25% at almost dead. Costs 6-9 piety.
***** Strong mass monster link. Strong monster link which affects all hostile monsters in view. Costs 10-15 piety.
****** Reversed strong mass monster link. Similar to "Strong mass monster link" except damage is 50% at full HP and 100% at almost dead.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 3
and into, Arrhythmia, Sar

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2016, 16:03

Re: New God who connects HP to damage

I think the god needs a little more going on, but I like the basic idea.

A few tweaks I would suggest:

I think a "weak" version of link (for player and monster) should be passive and scale with piety, and always applies to all enemies (non-targeted). This has a built-in drawback / conduct — player does less damage when badly damaged, but gets a percentage boost at high HP.

As an active ability with some piety cost, you can strengthen the bond for the player and all enemies, however you cannot recover HP for the duration of this effect. (No HP regen and no device heal.) Could be a very strong effect, with interesting drawback.

Perhaps also give a high piety cost, targeted ability that greatly increases all damage done to the target, but also increases (to a lesser extent) the damage you receive from the target, for a period of time. (Basically, single-target improved version of amulet of harm.)

As far as flavor goes, the god could be themed as a kind of parasite that feeds off of the injured — including you. Worshiping the god "infects" you with the parasite. Something like that. Which could also open up another cool (gross) ability or two for the god that would fit with this theme, while doing something other than playing with HP link to damage.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 2
dracos369, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2016, 17:10

Re: New God who connects HP to damage

Initially I made first 2 abilities as passives but then thought that it would be overpowered. I might be wrong here of course.

No HP regen sounds interesting, my concern with it is that having high duration can be detrimental to player: the monster is already dead but you are still wounded and non-regenerating. Maybe give some minor HP from killing with a chance depending on Invocations when the ability is active? For Makhleb the chance depends on piety only and is passive, should be different enough.

I intentionally tried to avoid similarity to amulet of harm since the item is not liked by many/most players. As an active ability it can be ok indeed, I suppose.

Edit. Also yes, more abilities are welcome, I guess it can be pretty boring god if all it does is just decreases/increases damage.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Return to Game Design Discussion