Give Control Undead to Yred worshipers and remove spell

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 29th August 2016, 16:13

Give Control Undead to Yred worshipers and remove spell

The subject pretty much says what I think would make the game slightly better: Give Control Undead to Yred worshipers and remove the normal spell.

That is Control Undead would be an invoke ability (or maybe even passive) for yred worshippers and would scale based on ability. At high enough invoke make it even possibly to enslave Greater Mummy and Ancient lichs.

Maybe even replace the Enslave Soul ability since that mechanic is fairly complicated to perform and arguably tedious.

I think this would be interesting especially since Yred can now arguably be played as a fairly ok 15 rune god since you now get piety for any kill.

I think the spell is generally superfluous to most necromancers casters especially Kiku ones since they already have plenty of summons (IMO the spell is more useful for non necro dudes).

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2016, 00:43

Re: Give Control Undead to Yred worshipers and remove spell

Yred already has plenty of abilities to play with, and my personal experience is that control undead is quite useful for necromancers. it doesn't really compete with summons, since it's primarily a hex, focused on removing enemies (at least temporarily) from the field.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2016, 13:11

Control Undead is pretty cool against wights.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2016, 13:19

And player ghosts.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
Sar

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2016, 20:08

And in general, groups of undead. They slowly turn against each other until you're left with either two (as the last two fight it out, the remaining loyalist zombie turns against you) or one left. If there's two, cast it again. If there's one, hope it's a weak one and beat it to death. You do have a melee weapon, right? Or at least a spell you can use? Pure necromancers should always carry a weapon. Holy wrath is awesome if you find it on a dagger, etc. early.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 2nd September 2016, 00:08

Necromancers need to be able to kill zombies somehow, and this is currently their only way (other than their own slaves).
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd September 2016, 05:34

Midn8 wrote:Necromancers need to be able to kill zombies somehow, and this is currently their only way (other than their own slaves).

Well, Necromancers can also hit the zombies with a weapon of their choice.

(As for the OP, I guess I don't care either way.)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Sar

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 2nd September 2016, 08:22

Control undead is a staple spell for early game necromancers. Clearly, Yred should be changed according to my previous proposal.

As for adding control undead to Yred, I don't think there's a compelling reason one way or another, unless the idea is to make the control permanent, in which case I think it would be bad.
The Original Discourse Respecter

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd September 2016, 16:15

Control undead existing as a player spell is absolutely unjustifiable when enslavement was removed as a player spell. It needs to be removed immediately. Ne is overpowered enough that it doesn't need any special compensation, but if you do want to replace it, adding dispel undead back to the book is the natural move (and is still a strict nerf to the background).

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 4
nago, Shard1697, VeryAngryFelid, ydeve

Return to Game Design Discussion