Buff or Remove 1-Handed Axes

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 28th August 2016, 23:32

Buff or Remove 1-Handed Axes

From what I understand, conventional DCSS wisdom says that 1-handed axes are bad. Barring Arga or an amazing randart, board axes and war axes tend to be extremely weak compared to the corresponding maces and long blades (morningstars, scimitars, demon weapons, eveningstars, double swords). Whenever I see a post asking for advice where a player is using a non-Arga one-handed axe, someone advises them to only go with two-handed axes in the future.

Is there a reason for this? Is it desirable to have a subclass of weapons in the game that's basically just a noob trap? I've seen a lot of threads with a new player asking for advice being told that training both axes and shield together was a mistake.

Assuming both that conventional wisdom is correct and that there isn't a good reason to have a subclass of weapons be so weak, I propose that either 1-handed axes be buffed to be seen as a stronger weapon choice instead of a noob, or removed from the game entirely so that new players aren't tricked into thinking that one-handed axes are a good option.

(I'm sure there are people in this board who consider either all axes or all one-handed weapons to be weak, but I feel like those arguments would at least be more controversial than ones about one-handed axes, which seem to be universally condemned).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 28th August 2016, 23:56

Re: Buff or Remove 1-Handed Axes

Broad axe is the same as morningstar but has cleaving in exchange for taking 2 more skill for mindelay. Not really awful! Better than Halberds imo, which again the same strength as a morningstar, but instead of taking more skill in exchange for a special ability(reaching/cleaving), it becomes 2-handed. Which means if you want to use a 1-handed polearm, you're stuck using a trident all the way until a demon trident appears, and it's usually quite dubious to invest enchant scrolls in a halberd because you can just hold out for a glaive.

I would like demon hatchets, though.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 2
chequers, ximxim

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th August 2016, 00:33

Shard1697 wrote:Broad axe is the same as morningstar but has cleaving in exchange for taking 2 more skill for mindelay. Not really awful! Better than Halberds imo, which again the same strength as a morningstar, but instead of taking more skill in exchange for a special ability(reaching/cleaving), it becomes 2-handed. Which means if you want to use a 1-handed polearm, you're stuck using a trident all the way until a demon trident appears, and it's usually quite dubious to invest enchant scrolls in a halberd because you can just hold out for a glaive.

I would like demon hatchets, though.

The other problem is that broad axes are closer to eveningstars in rarity, war axes are close to morningstars in rarity, so while broad axes aren't awful, they also arent great, and are also rare.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 29th August 2016, 00:50

I feel as if broad axes are more common than evening stars, although my feeling could be wrong.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2016, 05:34

i think 'noob trap' is too strong. they're generally a bit weaker than 2h axes, but it's sometimes the right choice to use them, depending on apts and what equipment you've found.

there are about 11 broad axes in the average 3-rune game (per objstat), versus about one eveningstar, 0.75 executioner's axes, 0.6 double swords, etc. they're not in the same rarity class as the other classes' top-tier 1-handers at all.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 29th August 2016, 05:52

would you add demon hatchets if I promised to RP as a juggalo every game I used one PF

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
Airwolf

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2016, 15:20

Crawl actually does have a DEMON_AXE already. It's just an unrand. :P

Why does no one ever ask for demon rapiers?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th August 2016, 15:25

PleasingFungus wrote:Crawl actually does have a DEMON_AXE already. It's just an unrand. :P

Why does no one ever ask for demon rapiers?

Can I have a demon rapier? :p

I think it's because eveningstar and double sword are the 'slow, good one handers' and demon whip/sword are the 'fast, good one handers' axes only have the slow variety, short blades only have the fast variety (quick blades) maybe we need a 0.7 min delay higher damage short sword? :)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 29th August 2016, 17:11

PleasingFungus wrote:Why does no one ever ask for demon rapiers?
IDK, probably because short blades(and staves) fill noticeably different niches than the 'normal' weapon classes. Short blades are intentionally much worse at 'direct' fighting in exchange for great stab damage, staves have only 2 weapon types because they get all the enhancer staves. But axes are a lot more equatable to maces/polearms/long blades in how they're used, and all those weapons have demon types.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 29th August 2016, 17:22

I wonder what Chei would think of demon rapiers. Mhm, demon cutlass... Demon Machete...

About 1h axes, I don't think they need to be removed. If you find a shield so good it's worth using even though cleave and shields are good for different situations, then I think you should be able to use an axe and a shield at the same time without being a formicid.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2016, 19:00

Some "conventional Crawl wisdom" have a tendency to be outdated, or excessively angled towards new players who should be playing Mi/Gr Fi/Be and nothing else if they want the slightest hope of winning.

I frequently use broad axes on my winners (and in fact my last 3 winners all used broad axe + shield). High-tier orcs and vault guardians mean that there's a pretty solid chance of finding one in any given game. Broad axes are better than scimitars or morningstars. They obviously don't compare to eveningstars or double swords for single-target damage, but I personally place a very high value on the cleaving ability. The slightly lower base damage is easily made up for with buffs and other sources of damage.

War axes are stronger than they might seem, they have similar stats to long swords and flails.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 29th August 2016, 20:48

"1h axes + shields are bad"
I thought that too then I watched dynast streak 19 nawns mostly with 0 dodging and axes + large shield

Also: Shortblades are a class of weapon that are a noob trap, as both stabbing and shortblade melee are bad.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 2
nago, Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 29th August 2016, 20:54

One could say that 1h axes are good against multiple opponents while shields are good against single opponents, which means that once you have axe + shield you are good against both, instead of being supergood against single and meh against multiple like with long blades.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Barkeep

Post Monday, 29th August 2016, 21:31

Broad axes are fine weapons.

The conventional advice for a novice player rolling up a HOBe would probably be to use the axe with the highest base damage. This has nothing to do with broad axes being terrible weapons or whatever (they aren't).

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 29th August 2016, 21:45

FWIW one of my first wins was a HOAK with a vampiric war axe for crying out loud. Plus Shield of Resistance, but still!
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 29th August 2016, 23:47

Do broad axes appear later in the game than other equivalent weapons? I'm not actually sure. But if so, perhaps they could be moved a little earlier, perhaps by adding them to orc warrior kits.

Return to Game Design Discussion