Anubis Guards Should not be Removed From Tomb

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 14:09

Anubis Guards Should not be Removed From Tomb

This is because without Anubis guards, there is only 1 type of chunk leaving monster there, death scarabs. Ghouls will have a very tough time in there, as they need many chunks to cure rot. Maybe, instead, the Anubis guards could get death rattle from the ushabti.

For this message the author arandomperson12 has received thanks:
Malevolent

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 4th September 2016, 00:40

Re: Anubis Guards Should not be Removed From Tomb

This is nonsense. It takes an average of 400 turns for a ghoul to rot 1 hp (600 turns with chei), unless they're running around hungry for some reason. Ghoul rotting was irrelevant in Pan and Tomb back when they didn't have corpses, and it's still irrelevant in Pan and Tomb now (also, everywhere else).

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
goodcoolguy, nago, Shard1697

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 4th September 2016, 17:26

A hungry ghoul in tomb, completely out of meat (however that happened), can of course also visit a branch with plenty of walking chunks. Once there, proceed to murder and eat some unsuspecting victim, then return to tomb raiding.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2016, 00:00

Why would anybody remove the Anus Guards? They surely don't belong anywhere else, and they're a distinct critter. "Extinction for the Hell of It" sounds like a bad idea. And everybody likes chunks, not just ghouls - yeah, you can stop, go to another branch, hunt for wandering monsters until ever so gradually you fill up your ammylet of gourmand, but that is otherwise known as BORING. And I already end up doing it now and then because there are so many food-free branches that I don't want to waste my fishes and loaves.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2016, 00:08

Chicken wrote:And I already end up doing it now and then because there are so many food-free branches that I don't want to waste my fishes and loaves.
It's not really a waste at all, there's so much permafood in the game that doing stuff to save it is basically meaningless. Just chow down on some bread and meat, a place like Tomb is where it's most useful to have specifically so that you don't need to do what you're describing doing... when else are you gonna use it?

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2016, 00:46

Well, Crypt, Slime, and the four Hell subplanes. Sometimes Spider or Snake. Besides, the Tomb needs to have somebody guarding the rear.

Return to Game Design Discussion