training rate

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 20:11

training rate

In order to have automatic mode working efficiently, I need some feedback about any skill which trains too slow or too fast in auto mode for specific playstyle.

The training rate for the following skills have been already changed:

I already had 2 reports of too slow passive training for stealth. Any other feedback on that? Here is the formula:

Code:
if (!x_chance_in_y(armour_mass, 1000)
    // Diminishing returns for stealth training by waiting.
    && you.skills[SK_STEALTH] <= 2 + random2(3)
    && one_chance_in(18))

Which means passive training depends on armour, starts to slow down when you reach level 3 and stops at 5. I can try changing the one_chance_in(18) to one_chance_in(15) for example.
Another thing that could help would be to give a minimum to focus skills, like 20%.

Ranged skills need to be reduced too. For some reason, the weapons dealing the less damage (slings and darts) train faster, which is the opposite of what I did with the melee weapons. All throwing and ranged skills have a chance to be exercised several time for each firing (except for throwing stones and large rocks where it's only 1 chance in 2 to exercise by 1). I'll start by bringing all these down to 1 exercise per firing and we'll see if more reduction is needed.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 15th July 2011, 20:47

Re: training rate

Since no one has given feedback yet. I think the stealth thing has more or less gone back to how stealth felt before the changes.

Spellcasting and fighting seem to be easier to train now then before. In general it seems if I just leave everything on automatic and ignore them that these skills are higher then they would have been pre- no victory dancing system. Don't think this is a problem though. And it seems to even out later in the game.

In short, my feed back is to report no feedback. Nothing seems particularly "off" to me now.

For this message the author LunarHarp has received thanks:
galehar

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 03:46

Seems fine to me, just make mushrooms not count for weapons training at all. That's what plants are for.
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 08:29

Agreed. In particular, it's a huge relief not having to painfully bootstrap Spellcasting now, but it doesn't feel like I gain levels in it very quickly thereafter without having to exercise it a lot.

Evocations seems to train extremely slowly, not sure if this is super important yet; I vaguely recall proposals to make its level more relevant. Although I do seem to be having a lot of trouble taking down herds of Ice Beasts with my wand of fire in this here cave...

The rest of it feels pretty right, though I haven't spent much time in the late game with the new system, and none with the current training rates yet.

The bread and butter ones (Armour, Fighting, Spellcasting, etc) seem good!
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

For this message the author joellercoaster has received thanks:
galehar

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 09:13

joellercoaster wrote:Evocations seems to train extremely slowly, not sure if this is super important yet; I vaguely recall proposals to make its level more relevant. Although I do seem to be having a lot of trouble taking down herds of Ice Beasts with my wand of fire in this here cave...

Right, evocations isn't something you spam a lot, I'll boost exercises a bit. The power formula has been changed. Power is nerfed at low skill level and boosted at high skill level.

joellercoaster wrote:The bread and butter ones (Armour, Fighting, Spellcasting, etc) seem good!

Good :)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 15:42

Agree for not having mushrooms do anything, I found that the most confusing when gaining random skills.
I also agree that spellcasting doesn't seem to go up very quickly without lots of training, but other than that I think everything is fine.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 16:48

Why mushrooms should be treated differently than plants? I can't see any reason. It would just make fighting a bit harder to gain for casters.
Spellcasting level up slowly probably because it has a higher base cost compared to other skills.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 12th August 2011, 11:53

On a completely different note: on my current conjurer build, I grabbed a buckler on something like D:13 and found that getting level 1 of the skill was really challenging. I finally had to find an orc and let him pound on me for a while, as I was too squishy to spar with the normal-depth monsters.

I'm guessing Shields only trains on successful blocks? It might be nice if it had a chance to train on any attack that *could* be blocked.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 12th August 2011, 13:30

njvack wrote:I'm guessing Shields only trains on successful blocks? It might be nice if it had a chance to train on any attack that *could* be blocked.

Good point. I often learn more from my failure than my successes. Likewise, fighting could train not on damage but on swings.

Not sure it would work for overall XP. Getting XP for trying to slay a snail might break the game. ;)

Return to Game Design Discussion