Remove level requirement for spell memorization

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 20th August 2016, 22:35

Remove level requirement for spell memorization

I don't see any useful purpose for requiring characters to get level N before memorizing a spell of level N. It only occasionally affects what you can really practically cast, and if it does it is because you intentionally specialized trying to do so, which ought to be rewarded. It doesn't have any obvious in-game rationale - almost nothing else is tied to level unless you get a notice that you have a new Ability. Mostly, it makes you forget to learn a handful of spells like Blink at the beginning because of the bureaucratic requirement, leading to avoidable stupid deaths that are not at all satisfying. The first fifteen minutes of a new character's life is not such a paradise on Crawl that they need this extra rule holding them back.

For this message the author Chicken has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 20th August 2016, 23:44

Re: Remove level requirement for spell memorization

Letting people cast conjure flame, swiftness, call canine familiar, blink, sticks to snakes, etc. etc. at XL1 is a pretty huge buff to book backgrounds.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire, Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 20th August 2016, 23:46

duvessa wrote:Letting people cast conjure flame, swiftness, call canine familiar, blink, sticks to snakes, etc. etc. at XL1 is a pretty huge buff to book backgrounds.

Is it an unreasonable one though? Most PC's are at XL2 or 3 by the time D:1 is finished.
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 01:23

Counterproposal: Make level requirement more important, you need to be XL (spell level*2)-1 to memorize a spell of a given spell level
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Sprucery

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 01:36

Siegurt wrote:Counterproposal: Make level requirement more important, you need to be XL (spell level*2)-1 to memorize a spell of a given spell level

Why? How about changing melee in a similar way?
XL 2 for vorpal, XL 5 for venom, XL 8 for freezing, XL 11 for flaming, XL 14 for electro, XL 17 for speed, XL 20 for holy.
Or if you don't like changing scroll of brand weapon, here is another version.
XL 7 for base damage 9-11, XL 12 for base damage 12-14, XL 17 for base damage 15+.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 02:37

This only really affects early early game regardless (both Siegurt's and Sandman25's proposals) as you aren't going to be using a level 5 at spell at level 5 (or 9) anyways without an extreme apt and some additional sense beyond that.

Level 2's and 3's being available at XL 1 is a major buff to some backgrounds, but it's ok...could do away with the need for some of the more useless level 1's...
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 02:37

isn't anyone going to consider the effect this would have on gnollcrawl

For this message the author yesno has received thanks: 6
Brannock, cerebovssquire, chequers, goodcoolguy, nago, PleasingFungus

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 05:15

duvessa wrote:Letting people cast conjure flame, swiftness, call canine familiar, blink, sticks to snakes, etc. etc. at XL1 is a pretty huge buff to book backgrounds.

But they still need spell slots, MP, and a decent success rate, all of which cost XP to get.

I doubt most characters will be able to use level 3 spells at XL1. Maaaybe single school spells, but that's just canine familiar, confuse, and tukima's dance. Of those only the dog would be OP for an xl1 character.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 06:21

...and portal projectile, and teleport other, and vampiric draining. Human mages start with level 3 dual-school spells at around 30% which is very usable.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
dynast, nago

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 06:44

Tfw you want to hit the hobgoblin behind the kobold, but you have to kite to get to 1/3 mp to throw something at him.
The Original Discourse Respecter

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 22nd August 2016, 15:54

So at level 1 you could cast vampiric draining once and use up all your mp, or at level 2 use it once, wait for another MP to regen, then use it again?

Even when you're level 2 you generally don't use your level 2 spells all that much. This wouldn't really alter early game balance much.

Alternatively, let characters memorize anything they have the slots for, and prevent them from casting it until they are at the level required. That might already be in the game, in fact. What happens if a felid dies and drops down a level, and has a memorized spell that's higher level than they are? Can this actually happen?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 22nd August 2016, 23:45

XL1 is a pretty frail part of the game for casters imo. Low mp.. No good weapon.. No evocables or might potion or berserk.. And using any of those spells u listed is a gamble cause of miscast

So this is not a game breaking change.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 23rd August 2016, 09:51

Instead of this, perhaps the game could remind the player when a spell can be memorised from a carried book. I.e. when spell slots or character levels allow it.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks: 2
Cimanyd, dracos369

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2016, 17:32

I like this idea. Besides buffing book backgrounds (which is fine with me) this change would also introduce the slight skilling benefit of letting you immediately train the spell schools you want starting at XL1, rather than waiting until you are the proper XL to memorize the spell and then starting to train the spell schools.

One downside of this change is that it would make the game less newbie-friendly. The current system helps prevent beginning players from making severe spell training blunders, such as blowing all their spell slots on a level 5 spell which they can't cast reliably. However, since this mistake would probably result in a few hilarious deaths, I'm in favor of letting it happen.
<Sequell> elmdor is a greaterplayer!

For this message the author elmdor has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2016, 19:52

I personally like it. It seems like it makes things a bit simpler.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2016, 20:23

elmdor wrote:One downside of this change is that it would make the game less newbie-friendly. The current system helps prevent beginning players from making severe spell training blunders, such as blowing all their spell slots on a level 5 spell which they can't cast reliably. However, since this mistake would probably result in a few hilarious deaths, I'm in favor of letting it happen.

This is only true before they hit XL5, at which point they're free to memorize a level 5 spell they can't possibly cast.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 25th August 2016, 23:05

I think any spell school with a relevant spell within a carried book should be trainable. I also think that any skill with skill points in it should be trainable.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 28th August 2016, 06:32

You know after thinking about it I don't think it'd change that much, unless it's --Wz or you have a great Spellcasting Apt. you start with 2 Spellcasting or less at level 1. So up to 5 Spell-levels, with a level 1 already memorized and...(unless you have a good MP apt (IE DE or Te), you don't have enough MP to cast a level 3 more than once...using all your MP on a single attempt (30% fail) at a level 3 on D:1 is a fairly transparently bad decision.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Return to Game Design Discussion