Prevent losing piety when swapping "faith -> "faith

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 12th August 2016, 13:47

Prevent losing piety when swapping "faith -> "faith

Just had the situation where i switched a normal amulet of faith to a randart amulet of faith and I lost piety. Okay, I know, the whole point of introducing the penalty into the game was to reduce amulet swapping, but honestly, how often do you have two different randart faith amulets worth swapping? From the flavor point of view it seems a bit silly that you still lose piety in such situation. The penalty would be still there if you changed into any other base type.

And while we're at amulets, please consider shortening {Harm *Drain} in randart amulets to just {Harm} because it looks like it would drain you twice. Or does it actually drain you twice?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th August 2016, 13:52

Re: Prevent losing piety when swapping "faith -> "faith

But currently the piety is lost when you remove the amulet, not when you put another amulet on. Do you think the game should wait to see what is the next amulet you wear before draining piety? Would piety be lost if you didn't immediately put another amulet on?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 4
duvessa, Leszczynek, Sar, ydeve

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 12th August 2016, 14:13

Leszczynek wrote:From the flavor point of view it seems a bit silly that you still lose piety in such situation.

Technically, you're still removing the amulet from your bare %race_name% body here, replacing it with another amulet.
Imagine two powerfull artefacts capable of improving relationship with your %god_name%. One amulet offers %god_name% pizza once in a while, and another one offers kebab.
But once one of them removed - pizza or kebab disappears. No wonder they're upset. :D

From the game perspective tho. I agree.
Online Statistics
Road to: Great Ds (6/25): DsFi^Gozag 3 R, DsGl^Qaz 4 R, DsMo^Chei 5 R, {DsHu^Uska 6 R, DsAs^Uska 7 R}, DsAr^Chei 8 R.
In progress: DsWn... Currently out of time. Maybe someday.

Watch my streams here

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 12th August 2016, 14:35

Sprucery wrote:But currently the piety is lost when you remove the amulet, not when you put another amulet on. Do you think the game should wait to see what is the next amulet you wear before draining piety? Would piety be lost if you didn't immediately put another amulet on?

Good point. I was really only thinking about swapping immediately, i.e. an action of [P]utting one amulet on in place of another. Does anybody do it manually, [R]emoving first and [P]utting on the second?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 12th August 2016, 14:54

Why not just make every piece of gear that isnt supposed to be swappable *fragile at this point?
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks: 6
cerebovssquire, duvessa, Floodkiller, goodcoolguy, le_nerd, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th August 2016, 14:56

dynast wrote:Why not just make every piece of gear that isnt supposed to be swappable *fragile at this point?

Because wear-IDing exist.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 12th August 2016, 15:01

Sandman25 wrote:
dynast wrote:Why not just make every piece of gear that isnt supposed to be swappable *fragile at this point?

Because wear-IDing exist.

So what? You dont get bad effects from putting on jewelry, this is irrelevant unless i am supposed to be believe harm is a bad amulet, but *drain is a trivial effect, so much so it had to be buffed, now its only harmful for spellcasters or hybrids.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th August 2016, 15:05

dynast wrote:So what? You dont get bad effects from putting on jewelry, this is irrelevant unless i am supposed to be believe harm is a bad amulet, but *drain is a trivial effect, so much so it had to be buffed, now its only harmful for spellcasters or hybrids.

Maybe I misunderstood you. You are suggesting to make plain amulets of gourmand/regen/faith/harm/guardian spirit have intrinsic fragile, aren't you?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 12th August 2016, 16:34

Just harm and faith tbh.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks:
Sandman25

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 13th August 2016, 04:26

Because they're supposed to be strategically swappable, just not tactically swappable. Faith/harm are the exceptions here in that their downsides are semi-permanent things you can't cure by pressing 5.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 15th August 2016, 15:06

I agree that Faith and Harm should just have *Fragile instead of being identify traps like they currently are. Inaccuracy should probably have it as well since nobody will put that back on after taking it off and it saves the player from having to manually drop it.

For this message the author Floodkiller has received thanks: 2
le_nerd, Sandman25

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 15th August 2016, 15:18

Working as intended imo.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 15th August 2016, 15:32

There is no gear that should never be swappable, the point of these is not to make them completely un-swappable, but rather to make it so it isn't optimal to swap them all the time.

"Things that you should only want to switch to in certain very limited situations" is certainly something reasonable to have in the game, whether the current crop of amulets qualifies is another question altogether from whether it should be a thing at all.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Rast

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 18:22

The faith thing doesn't seem that unreasonable... I suppose it has "sentimental value". But I never got the point of harm - I've just been treating it as a cursed amulet and taking the hit, though the practical effect of that and faith are that I tend to use identifies on amulets rather than wear-IDing them like everything else. With this game anything that speeds up the rate at which matters "conclude" tends to be YASD sooner or later, probably sooner.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 18:29

I think it would make more sense to just make changing amulets take 10 turns. I never use Faith, it looks like a trap to me.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 18:31

It's the best amulet for certain gods.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sprucery

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 18:45

Shtopit wrote:I think it would make more sense to just make changing amulets take 10 turns. I never use Faith, it looks like a trap to me.
If you wear it til you're at max piety, and then take it off, you'll have gained about as much extra piety as you lost.

More importantly, if you just don't take it off, it's really really strong for(almost) any god that uses piety-cost abilities.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sprucery

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 22nd August 2016, 00:08

Re: Prevent losing piety when swapping

Siegurt wrote:

There is no gear that should never be swappable, the point of these is not to make them completely un-swappable, but rather to make it so it isn't optimal to swap them all the time.

"Things that you should only want to switch to in certain very limited situations" is certainly something reasonable to have in the game, whether the current crop of amulets qualifies is another question altogether from whether it should be a thing at all.

Why not remove *Fragile then? Why does it exist?
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Return to Game Design Discussion