Give venom mages ignite poison

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 20th August 2016, 18:15

Give venom mages ignite poison

As the title says, I propose to add ignite poison to VM's starting spell book. Currently the background is in an awkward position where it has no tools to deal with early rPois threats, but instead is given a very situational level 5 alistair's intoxication.
Ignite poison would be a helpful addition, because it can ignite mephitic clouds (poor man's conjure flame), reduces the need of kiting, somewhat encourages hybridizing and in general makes use of poison magic way more interesting.

For this message the author Bart has received thanks: 11
archaeo, Arrhythmia, Cheibrodos, darksab0r, nago, Sandman25, Sar, Sprucery, tedric, vergil and one more user

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 20th August 2016, 23:25

Re: Give venom mages ignite poison

Is 'encourages hybridizing' a euphemism for being an xp tax that requires training of two skills that are unlikely to be otherwise useful, rather than a skill that a VM hybrid is actually likely to use, e.g. a weapon skill?

I'll admit handing out Ignite Poison in the VM starting spellbook fixes the problem that you almost never have a character with useful poison and Ignite Poison on the same run, but as a spell in a starting spellbook it would need to have a less horrendously dysfunctional set of skill requirements.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
duvessa

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 01:16

I once cleared a (Simulacra) Ice Cave with just Meph Cloud and Ignite Poison...(My FeVM win's first book other than the start book was Fire and B.Fire wasn't online yet).

I'd support this change, but there is a small issue...it would take VM from one of the weakest book starts to -by far- the strongest.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 09:14

Devs are ok with Venom being the worst school late game, why not have it be the best early game?

For this message the author lethediver has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, bcadren

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 14:28

AI is only in the game to confuse the player.
You shall never see my color again.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 22nd August 2016, 01:35

KoboldLord wrote:Is 'encourages hybridizing' a euphemism for being an xp tax that requires training of two skills that are unlikely to be otherwise useful, rather than a skill that a VM hybrid is actually likely to use, e.g. a weapon skill?

I'll admit handing out Ignite Poison in the VM starting spellbook fixes the problem that you almost never have a character with useful poison and Ignite Poison on the same run, but as a spell in a starting spellbook it would need to have a less horrendously dysfunctional set of skill requirements.

the nice thing about multi-school spells is that you generally don't actually have to train all of the schools to get them usable

even training spellcasting is often a better idea

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 22nd August 2016, 01:39

KoboldLord wrote:I'll admit handing out Ignite Poison in the VM starting spellbook fixes the problem that you almost never have a character with useful poison and Ignite Poison on the same run.

I think most of the other arguments in this thread are good to, but if nothing else, I support this proposal for this reason. Ignite Poison's an interesting niche spell that I never really bother with, but it would synergize really well with the starting venom mage book.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 22nd August 2016, 04:54

Quazifuji wrote:
KoboldLord wrote:I'll admit handing out Ignite Poison in the VM starting spellbook fixes the problem that you almost never have a character with useful poison and Ignite Poison on the same run.

I think most of the other arguments in this thread are good to, but if nothing else, I support this proposal for this reason. Ignite Poison's an interesting niche spell that I never really bother with, but it would synergize really well with the starting venom mage book.

It seems like ignite poison should be in at least one book with other poison spells, even if it's not the VM starter book.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 22nd August 2016, 05:08

I say we do do this, as a test, but do note that it does make some areas extremely easy. (OTR + Ignite Poison is similar damage output to Ozocubu's Refrigeration vs targets without rPois or rF (IE All of Spider, Orc, Elf, most vaults and Shoals, etc.)
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Return to Game Design Discussion