Make Ancestors Match Your Speed

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 10:41

Make Ancestors Match Your Speed

Having ancestors vary to match types that fit your individual races would be really cool, but is a complicated tweak that would take awhile and be a lot of flavor difference for very little practical difference.

At minimum, they really should at least match your movement speed right now. I mean they are your ancestor (or how you are imagining your ancestor), not...your imaginary human companion. This has both that flavor reasoning AND the practical reasoning that matching your movement speed makes for a better permacompanion (yes I know you can slow yourself to match as an autoexplore setting, but this is one case where that's less than an ideal solution).
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks: 10
and into, Arrhythmia, Cimanyd, dracos369, Dungeoneer, duvessa, Gongclonker, nago, tedric, ydeve

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 13:42

Re: Make Ancestors Match Your Speed

I agree. In terms of mechanics they should match speed to feel good. In terms of fiction, and the sprite echoes this, they are a ghost and not a player character class.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 13:48

It felt very annoying to pause autoexplore as Felid and wait for ancestor to catch up but I think it can be a huge buff for some species. When you run away from something dangerous and meet another dangerous monster you will benefit a lot from having ancestor nearby, with current mechanic you will need to spend a whole turn to recall ancestor in such situation.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 14:13

...The god has recall, so obviously the benefit of your dude following at your speed is minimal to nonexistent, especially given that you can turn this autoexplore issue off by using well known in-game options...

The practical ramifications of such a change entirely relate to reduced micromanagement and general fiddliness. This would be a good change.
The Original Discourse Respecter

For this message the author goodcoolguy has received thanks: 2
duvessa, ydeve

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 20:36

Sandman25 wrote:It felt very annoying to pause autoexplore as Felid and wait for ancestor to catch up but I think it can be a huge buff for some species. When you run away from something dangerous and meet another dangerous monster you will benefit a lot from having ancestor nearby, with current mechanic you will need to spend a whole turn to recall ancestor in such situation.

You can press control-E to slow your autoexplore movement to the speed of your slowest ally (also useful on necromancers).
It probably shouldn't be necessary to do this with hep though.

For this message the author genericpseudonym has received thanks: 2
Sandman25, vergil

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 20:39

genericpseudonym wrote:You can press control-E to slow your autoexplore movement to the speed of your slowest ally (also useful on necromancers).
It probably shouldn't be necessary to do this with hep though.

Yes, I know, thank you. I was a Felid so I didn't use autoexplore on new levels.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 19th August 2016, 19:23

Yeah. It's nice to be able to leave the ancestor and head out of its LOS to deal with something, but it sucks to wait around for it to catch up. Random energy should be enough to give the player the lead on the ancestor the majority of the time.
And you think you're capable of finding the ORB? I had it, you know. Then I gave it away so I could steal it AGAIN.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 20th August 2016, 02:57

why would you ever need to wait for it to catch up?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 20th August 2016, 03:27

PleasingFungus wrote:why would you ever need to wait for it to catch up?

Recall costs 2 MP.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 18:32

Having it NOT match your speed is really powerful though when you're up against a ziggurat full of greater mummies and the occasional quicksilver dragon and you keep getting set to Slow. At least *somebody* is hacking away when you're not.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 19:02

Chicken wrote:Having it NOT match your speed is really powerful though when you're up against a ziggurat full of greater mummies

I was going to point out that design decisions like this aren't made because of what happens in a Ziggurat...

...but then I remembered that Projected Noise was removed when someone cleared a Zig with it :)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 19:10

Chicken wrote:Having it NOT match your speed is really powerful though when you're up against a ziggurat full of greater mummies and the occasional quicksilver dragon and you keep getting set to Slow. At least *somebody* is hacking away when you're not.
I think you misunderstand anyways. Speed Matching here means it's base movement delay should be the same as yours so it keeps up when exploring (normally or via autoexplore)...not it's delay is always exactly the same as yours, lol.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 22nd August 2016, 07:14

worth noting that it's mathematically impossible for monsters to have the same speed as most nonstandard-move-speed player races. you can have them be slightly faster or slightly slower, but not the same speed, because of the way that monsters work differently from players.

my feeling is that it's a huge can of worms to start having ancestors vary mechanically between player races, that there's no particular reason that spriggans should have dramatically better ancestors than nagas, and that the game already provides tools for the player to manage any autoexplore annoyances, as genericpseudonym noted.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 22nd August 2016, 12:36

Is increased movement speed really that much of a benefit? It's not like it's making the monster hit or cast any quicker. Also, I'm pretty sure that using the "Move:60%" feature would let Hep ancestors match a player's speed perfectly, though I could be mistaken there.

Fast movement is incredibly powerful on players because it lets them escape danger, and on monsters because it prevents the player from escaping them. Neither is particularly significant to an allied monster that's capable of respawning.

For this message the author ion_frigate has received thanks: 2
duvessa, goodcoolguy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd August 2016, 12:49

Knight moving 40% faster to melee monsters at the edge of view will be much more powerful.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 25th August 2016, 06:26

Sandman25 wrote:It felt very annoying to pause Semenax as Felid and wait for ancestor to catch up but I think it can be a huge buff for some species. When you run away from something dangerous and meet another dangerous monster you will benefit a lot from having ancestor nearby, with current mechanic you will need to spend a whole turn to recall ancestor in such situation.

Yeah same here, I'm always having to wait on these mo fo's.
Last edited by Sazzle on Saturday, 23rd April 2022, 08:39, edited 8 times in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 25th August 2016, 07:12

Just hit ctrl-e to set travel speed to slowest ally.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 25th August 2016, 07:49

ion_frigate wrote:Fast movement is incredibly powerful on players because it lets them escape danger, and on monsters because it prevents the player from escaping them. Neither is particularly significant to an allied monster that's capable of respawning.

This would seem to be painfully obvious, yet

Sandman25 wrote:Knight moving 40% faster to melee monsters at the edge of view will be much more powerful.

Short of berserking dragon summons, I have a hard time thinking of something that could be "much more powerful" than an ally that has drain branded attacks and spams mass confusion. You can produce the same "much more powerful" effect with any ally by just backing away while the ally approaches monsters. You're talking about whether infinity is less than infinity plus one here.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 25th August 2016, 15:16

ion_frigate wrote:Fast movement is incredibly powerful on players because it lets them escape danger, and on monsters because it prevents the player from escaping them. Neither is particularly significant to an allied monster that's capable of respawning.

Did people forget Transpose exists or what?

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 25th August 2016, 16:29

PleasingFungus wrote:there's no particular reason that spriggans should have dramatically better ancestors than nagas

My thought was that spriggans' and nagas' ancestors were probably spriggans and nagas, probably?

Not that I'm not saying the game would me mechanically better if ancestors took on characteristics of the PC, but the way the god is currently flavored it's a bit surprising that they don't. If you were calling on the memory of some random legendary warrior, it'd be one thing, but this is literally the memory of the character's great great grandma.
Last edited by njvack on Thursday, 25th August 2016, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
bcadren

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 25th August 2016, 16:31

PleasingFungus wrote:there's no particular reason that spriggans should have dramatically better ancestors than nagas

well Naga ancestors should have better HP, AC and constriction

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 25th August 2016, 17:54

felid ancestors should be unable to use weapons or armour

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
Sar

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 25th August 2016, 19:19

... and spriggans would only get like four hp
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 25th August 2016, 21:15

Can I get a Ds ally that spams Damnation plz?
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 26th August 2016, 03:04

Why don't we just make a testing branch where they actually do vary with race and see if it plays better or make the god too powerful for certain races, etc.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 26th August 2016, 13:37

Let's be honest here, the coolness of the god as it currently exists probably can't be maintained after nerfing it to a reasonable power level (which remains a long way off at present) and the fact that the ally really has nothing to do with the player character is a "can of worms" that'll never go away as long as the flavor is what it is. The god should be viewed as an interesting experiment in ally mechanics to be applied to other gods.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 27th August 2016, 11:46

goodcoolguy wrote:Let's be honest here, the coolness of the god as it currently exists probably can't be maintained after nerfing it to a reasonable power level (which remains a long way off at present) and the fact that the ally really has nothing to do with the player character is a "can of worms" that'll never go away as long as the flavor is what it is. The god should be viewed as an interesting experiment in ally mechanics to be applied to other gods.
The god isn't OP; it's still fairly weak compared to normal summons. In my limited experience with it and just analyzing the data as written, I'd say the Hexer is most similar to a combo of a single Mana Viper and a Sphinx (two high level summoning spells); the Fighter is fairly comparable to a Bone Dragon (Yredelemnul) or daeva (TSO), which is better only in bulk and (maybe?) AI; the Battlemage is pretty much the same as a Spellforged Servitor, except it has a passable melee and some bulk as well. The actives help you position your single free summon better; but it's still only a single decent summon; it's not...on par with good use of Ashenzari, Ru, Sif or Oka.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 27th August 2016, 11:51

Wow. What?

*HaFi on lair 2 with spellforged servitor*

bcadren: This is normal.

*NaGl on d10 with bone dragon ally + heals and buffs for bone dragon ally*

bcadren: This is fine.

*TrMo with drain branded melee sphinx ally on d4*

bcadren: Seems in line with power level of other gods.

For this message the author goodcoolguy has received thanks:
nago

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 27th August 2016, 18:09

It might be more productive to make your own thread about how insanely overpowered Hep is, though I think the original topic of this thread has probably run its course in any case.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 27th August 2016, 18:23

It would be possible to change the flavour away from ancestor to something species independent. Like a guardian angel, imaginary friend, friendly phantasm, first pet or whatever. Then there wouldn't be a strange disconnect between a non-humanoid race and their 'ancestor'.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks: 5
arandomperson12, Arrhythmia, Cimanyd, nago, Shard1697

Return to Game Design Discussion