Shift racial availability of invisibility around

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 12:03

Shift racial availability of invisibility around

A while ago a couple of sources of Invisibility were removed, namely wand of invisibility and rings of invisibility. This probably was a good call; invisibility is a very powerful effect, and the game really doesn't need 5 different sources.

The way it was done does not seem as if it fullfilled its purpose it, though. Spell is fine; its a heavy investment to get 12ish Hexes on most chars. Potions are rare enough to also be fine.

The evocable source left (cloak) is relatively common, thus not 100% solving the "make renewable invisibility more rare" problem, while also restricting it for the two for the races that cant wear cloaks
:

Octopodes and Felids. This seems like an oversight, they are both races that benefit very heavily from stealth play and got nerfed hard by the change. They are also weak and play balance wouldn't be hurt too much by giving them access to evocable insivibility.

Proposal is this:

Add more sources of invisibility that can be used by any race. By either restoring rings of invisibilty, (probably make them very rare on level with slaying), or give hats another ego or have amulet of invisibility (with contam of course).

To keep invisibility rare, then remove cloaks of invisibility, thus making evocable invisibility race neutral.

For this message the author le_nerd has received thanks: 7
chequers, duvessa, nago, Sar, Shard1697, Sprucery, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 12:23

Re: Shift racial availability of invisibility around

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 12:29

Wasn't aware of that discussion. Removing ecovable invisibility altogether is a can of worms I especially did not want to open, thus a proposal thats relatively neutral to status quo.

(I think there is something to be said for having rare evocable invis, mostly fun arguments)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 12:42

I think it might make sense to make the new invisibility item you propose a fragile item with bad properties like negative slaying.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 14:07

I just now discovered that Sprint map Fedhas Mad Dash actually is unplayable for Op/Fe since you get a cloak of invisibility -_-

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 18:05

How common is 'relatively common'? I don't think I find a cloak of invisibility in most games, and objstat suggests that there are about 0.8 invisibility cloaks across all non-extended branches (Bailey, Bazaar, Crypt, D, Depths, Elf, IceCv, Lab, Lair, Orc, Ossuary, Sewer, Temple, Trove, Vaults, Volcano, WizLab, Zot, Shoals, Spider).

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 2
Brannock, gammafunk

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 18:51

Yeah, I was going to say I get one in about half of my three rune games.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 20:18

Remove cloak of invisibility, make lantern of shadows an XP charged evocable ala lamp/phial/fan which gives you invisibility(duration of invisibility dependant on evo skill).
This solves the problems with cloak of invis(race dependent, can be used in every fight if you rest off the contam+can be used with low evo).

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 6
Arrhythmia, Brannock, Cheibrodos, qwesdf, Sandman25, Sprucery

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 21:00

Honestly I play so many Octopodes that I dont have a good feel for how often cloak of invis drop. But it feels like whenever I do start something else up Crazy Yiuf has one or it just lies around on D:5.

Return to Game Design Discussion