Rename "Metabolic Englaciation"

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 14th August 2016, 18:33

Rename "Metabolic Englaciation"

It's a cool spell. I just think there's a minor issue in that, the name implies it only works on living (Metabolic) while it works on anything without rC. I'd rather keep that functionality and shave the name than prevent it from affecting demons and nonliving. (I noticed this issue because my hexer character was just saved by being able to slow a Fire Elemental).

Fairly sure elementals are the only Non-living the spell works on; but it works on almost all demons (Iron Imps, Ice Devils, Rust Devils, Hell Sentinels, Ice Fiends and Tzitzimitls are the only exception out of tiered demons). Out of non-tiered it doesn't work on (Demonic Crawler, Tentacled Monstrosity).
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 15th August 2016, 17:20

Re: Rename "Metabolic Englaciation"

I agree that the name doesn't do a very good job describing what the spell actually does. Because it sounds like it would be a castable version of a ring of sustenance, and that's definitely not what it is.

Also... this spell seems to suck. It just doesn't last long enough to be worth casting, at least from what I've seen. But that's a separate issue.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 15th August 2016, 19:11

You know, kinda? yet it's also like a few turns of Haste, which stacks with Haste...I was using it because the slow is easier to place than effects from spells that check MR (and I was immediately dispelling it with Yara's to damage and severely weaken foes).
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 14:24

Just remove the 'metabolic'.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 15:25

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:Just remove the 'metabolic'.

Which en/glaciates monsters, Englaciation or Glaciate?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 19:06

just make it "Freezing Slow".

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
Sandman25

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 20:48

"Thermal Deceleration"
"Bitter Stagnation"
"Congelation"
"Algor Lethargy"
"Frigid Hindrance"

...the first one was the good one.

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
dracos369

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 06:14

dowan wrote:Also... this spell seems to suck. It just doesn't last long enough to be worth casting, at least from what I've seen. But that's a separate issue.

It's fantastic when your hexer ally is casting it, but I'm inclined to agree that it's rarely worth bothering with if you're going to be the one casting it.

For this message the author prozacelf has received thanks:
dowan

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 10:30

Brannock wrote:
4Hooves2Appendages wrote:Just remove the 'metabolic'.

Which en/glaciates monsters, Englaciation or Glaciate?

And then rename Glaciate to Snow Cone!

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 19th August 2016, 19:18

The "Metabolic" kind of works to imply that the coldness is locally concentrated so as to hinder the target. I'll try to come up with other spell names that seem to carry this implication:

"Indigenous Frigidness"
"Cryogenesis"
"Crystallization"
"Mr. Bigglesworth's Frickin' Freezer"
"Iskenderun's Iciclefication"
"Coldsnap"
"Blizzard of Ozz"
"Vacmei's Rheostat"
"Ceimaru's Creamsiclization"
"Icebind"
And you think you're capable of finding the ORB? I had it, you know. Then I gave it away so I could steal it AGAIN.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 19th August 2016, 19:25

Ozocubo's Enervation!

Feel free to spell Ozo's name correctly instead of what I wrote, but I demand 5% of all profits from future sales of DCSS either way.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
and into

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 20th August 2016, 13:45

Meglaciolic englobation.

Call it blizzard and it becomes an area status lasting various turns and impacting anything that doesn't pass a certain strength test or is large enough. After the first phase, the blizzard ceases and the ground is covered in ice for a while, slowing everyone and occasionally causing wrong direction movement like with confusion.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Return to Game Design Discussion