allow vampire to revert batform when confused

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 14th August 2016, 18:26

allow vampire to revert batform when confused

it isn't like getting stuck in lichform or whatever. in batform while confused you can't drink, you can't use wands or rods, you lose all your AC and access to almost all other bonuses provided by your equipment, and have no useful attack. it's a really shitty boring miserable death sentence if you get confused near anything even remotely dangerous. lesson learned will never batform again near anything that can confuse, but this is not a threat that needs to be in the game

For this message the author yesno has received thanks:
Sandman25

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 14th August 2016, 18:34

Re: allow vampire to revert batform when confused

yesno wrote:while confused you can't drink, you can't use wands or rods, you lose all your AC and access to almost all other bonuses provided by your equipment, and have no useful attack

now imagine being a mummy

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
nago, Sandman25

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 14th August 2016, 18:59

Bats are much much worse than mummies. Literally 0 AC, minimum movement speed (same as a hasted spriggan); no equipment slots except amulet. No potions, no wands, no casting...It's intended to escape melee range with melee only monsters; that's about the only use of the form. Anything else is too risky. [This coming from someone that's repeatedly attempted MakhBats].
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 15th August 2016, 07:22

you can not be a bat when you play a Vp, you can't not being a mummy when you play a Mu

also it boosts your EV so pray to the RNG I guess (and don't go in batform next to confusers and in Hell)

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 15th August 2016, 09:16

bcadren wrote:minimum movement speed (same as a hasted spriggan)

How this is bad even if confused?
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 15th August 2016, 12:32

Sar wrote:you can not be a bat when you play a Vp, you can't not being a mummy when you play a Mu

also it boosts your EV so pray to the RNG I guess (and don't go in batform next to confusers and in Hell)

did u read my post???

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 15th August 2016, 19:40

I saw you playing yesno, batform confusion is the only side effect of bat scumming with hexes and ranged weapons and thus it should stay that way, least batform gets nerfed/removed.
You shall never see my color again.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 03:08

why would you nerf/remove batform while spriggan exists. remove spriggan first

anyway i wasn't batform scumming with hexes/ranged, i was vpgl stabber fleeing from a vaults convoker who completed his call, and he called a boggart who summoned a golden eye. i do lots of scummy degenerate luring with batform and hexes all the time and this is the first time this happened, when i wasn't doing it. so it seems kind of silly to act like this shitty mechanic is a serious counter to batform. if i had known i couldn't revert transformation i would have just used blink/haste or maybe swiftness instead.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 11:25

yesno wrote:why would you nerf/remove batform while spriggan exists.

Thats why.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 12:06

I think the way the OP is framed is too specific. It would be easier to argue that reverting revertable forms should always be possible, regardless of confusion. People who think necromutation is good might think this has significant balance implications, but whatever. As it stands, I think it just serves as a way to get people killed by an uncommon and unanticipated interaction. Obviously the OP would not have gone into batform if they'd known confusion would make batform unrevertable.
The Original Discourse Respecter

For this message the author goodcoolguy has received thanks:
yesno

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 12:36

dynast wrote:
yesno wrote:why would you nerf/remove batform while spriggan exists.

Thats why.

well getting rid of both is fine by me but until then the fact that vp can turn into a 0 AC spriggan with no spells items potions or attacks seems like a weird thing to focus on

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 15:20

You can't use abilities while confused, whatever the ability. Reverting is an ability, so it shouldn't have been unexpected. But yes, at least for bats there should be some way to revert. Actually, they could just get clarity, it's not like they are terrible powerhouses.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 17:11

clarity would be too much, it would mean an almost free escape from monsters that can confuse. as dynast points out batform is already very good, it doesn't need a major buff like clarity. it just shouldn't be a total death sentence if you get confused.

also i'm pretty sure you can use evokable item abilities when confused, and you can also evoke rods/wands/misc (in fact in this situation i tried to save myself by evoking fan of gales while confused in batform), so it was a surprise to me, since i haven't really played transmuters much and i don't think i'd ever gotten confused in batform before.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 06:11

Shtopit wrote:You can't use abilities while confused, whatever the ability. Reverting is an ability, so it shouldn't have been unexpected. But yes, at least for bats there should be some way to revert. Actually, they could just get clarity, it's not like they are terrible powerhouses.

It's not unprecedented for abilities to be usable while confused (I believe Vitalization once was, and I *think* Renounce Religion is, though I could be wrong on that). However, if "no abilities when confused" is something people want to keep, then another option is to simply make confusion revert you to your natural form, with the same delay as if you had used the ability (obviously this would not apply to hostile polymorphs). I suppose some statueformers might not like this, but that sounds like even more of an edge case than getting confused in bat form.

It also has a nice flavor justification, for what it's worth: "You're too confused to focus on maintaining your form."

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 08:25

It would mean that transmuters would be extremely vulnerable to confusion. It's like a dispelling bolt. And there's the problem of flying or floating, the fact that you lose your form and the ability to immediately cast the spell again, and the defences that happily disappear. It's disproportionate to what the spell should do, so I'm against it if applied to all forms. If it applied only to bat form and necromutation, then I'd be OK with it, since it partially fills the gap left by clarity.
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 12:59

Hmm, it doesnt make sense that batform cannot quaff potions though, since you can read scrolls/swap amulets(therefore its not a "you cannot grasp from your inventory" issue) and you can drink blood from corpses in batform. It would make sense that you can quaff in batform, the same way a felid or spiderform does.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 13:53

in batform you can also use misc evokables but not wands. doesn't really make a lot of sense but whatever

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 14:07

I guess something about lack of hands.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 16:37

Shtopit wrote:the fact that you lose your form and the ability to immediately cast the spell again, and the defences that happily disappear.

I was actually assuming that if you quaff curing before you revert, you retain your form. The idea is that you don't get stuck in a form that can literally do nothing but move randomly while confused.

Shtopit wrote:And there's the problem of flying or floating

Hadn't thought of this, but as long as you can stop the reversion by quaffing curing, I don't think it's a problem. Getting confused while having a temporary source of flight is a problem for everyone - this just accelerates your demise a bit.

Return to Game Design Discussion