Randomized Ghosts

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 10th July 2011, 20:08

Randomized Ghosts

Sometimes I see players advise that bones files should be deleted so that player ghosts won't be created.

Should there be a mechanism to create random player ghost-style enemies when there aren't any bones files or aren't very many defeated characters available? If pan lords can be random, non-player ghosts don't seem like much of a stretch.

I suppose a random background and species would be picked, with weight towards the recommended combos. Or use whatever the distribution of what's actually played on the server is. Then pick a character level based on the depth. Name it after a shop keeper. If it's a spellcasting background, give it some of the spells in the starting book that are a lower level than the ghost. Then give it 1dDepth/5 spells that share a school with a spell it already has. If it's a fighting background, give it better melee attacks and maybe a depth in 30 chance of having a branded attack.

Then it won't make much of a difference whether players delete save files or not.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 10th July 2011, 20:23

Re: Randomized Ghosts

Why?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 10th July 2011, 21:17

Without player ghosts, either the game is much harder because there aren't as many high-experience targets, or the game is much easier because there aren't cold and poison resistant confusers running around.

So if you tend to die a lot on early levels after learning evaporate or mephitic cloud, your next character will probably die to one of those ghosts unless you delete the files.

It seems like a bad idea to make deleting files the best way to play the game.

I guess adding a common unique undead enemy with evaporate or mephitic cloud to the early dungeon would accomplish the same thing, but sometimes the random unexpected spell that a ghost has really makes an challenge. You can't look up all the ghosts in the bots like you can uniques.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 23:59

For NetHack, someone created a Hearse service, which would upload the player's bones files to a central repository, and download new ones. The same concept would be very helpful in Crawl, and would deal with these issues. (You get a lot less complaints about ghosts on the server, which is effectively the same thing.)

Of course, I'm not about to program it. But it's a good idea.

For this message the author nrook has received thanks:
dolphin

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 16th July 2011, 08:49

Erm, a daily or weekly ghost zip file scavenged from Webtiles or CDO?
"The strongest ghosts are to haunt offline weaklings!!!"
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Return to Game Design Discussion