Killing TRJ makes runed doors to access Slime 6 vaults

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 22nd July 2016, 04:27

Killing TRJ makes runed doors to access Slime 6 vaults

As the title states, killing the royal jelly should generate runed doors to allow access to each of the treasure vaults in Slime:6.

Deciding whether to clear Abyss, Slime, or Vaults (or less commonly a different branch) for the third rune is an interesting strategic decision that should not be denied characters that simply happened not to find certain items/spells. Characters that had peculiar luck and/or sacrificed artifice under Ru, yet want to finish 15 runes or simply complete slime and get the rune and/or treasure, can still access the vaults by kiting a deep troll earth mage allllllll the way to slime 6 to bust open the vaults. (That is what I'm doing in a current game, in fact!) I can state from personal experience that this is not fun, at all, and creates situations that deviate quite drastically from what I take to be the spirit of Crawl's design philosophy.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 11
all before, Blomdor, dowan, duvessa, Laraso, Malevolent, nago, Shard1697, tedric, ydeve and one more user

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 22nd July 2016, 04:36

Re: Killing TRJ makes runed doors to access Slime 6 vaults

FR guaranteed Dissolution on Slime:5. You can kite him down a level if that's your only way in.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 22nd July 2016, 05:22

Or... instead of an even more spoilery workaround, maybe Crawl could just avoid this Nethack-like BS in the first place?

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, ydeve

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 22nd July 2016, 06:24

Other option: make the walls fall down, like what already happens for 6* Jiyva worshippers. Big buff to TRJ and his friends, but I think he can take it.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
duvessa

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 22nd July 2016, 09:04

Arrhythmia wrote:Other option: make the walls fall down, like what already happens for 6* Jiyva worshippers. Big buff to TRJ and his friends, but I think he can take it.

And then the surviving jellies on the level eat all the loot? I think the current state of affairs is better.
If I play online, I do so under the screenname Marenglen.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 22nd July 2016, 10:00

Malevolent wrote:
Arrhythmia wrote:Other option: make the walls fall down, like what already happens for 6* Jiyva worshippers. Big buff to TRJ and his friends, but I think he can take it.

And then the surviving jellies on the level eat all the loot? I think the current state of affairs is better.

If you're not a Jiyva worshipper slimes can't actually eat items that you've already seen.

I'm not sure how this works with non-visible items at the bottom of stacks though.

For this message the author genericpseudonym has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Laraso

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 22nd July 2016, 13:46

...or, we could just remove jelly-eating...
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

For this message the author jwoodward48ss has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, duvessa, Shard1697, ydeve

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 22nd July 2016, 17:12

Speaking of jelly eating, it's been a very long time since I've actually had that happen. I remember the horrors of seeing "You hear a slurping noise" and imagining all the awesome loot that was being destroyed, but it's been a long time since that's happened... maybe clustering illusion...

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 22nd July 2016, 17:23

You can have the walls crumble into molten lava. It will keep the jellies away, and flight is more common than destruction (wings, rings, boots, potions, spell, Ru's jump, can use controlled blink or just normal blink until you get there...)
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 22nd July 2016, 19:03

dowan wrote:Speaking of jelly eating, it's been a very long time since I've actually had that happen. I remember the horrors of seeing "You hear a slurping noise" and imagining all the awesome loot that was being destroyed, but it's been a long time since that's happened... maybe clustering illusion...

Well they used to be able to eat all the arrows and skeletons and +0 clubs sitting around near the remains of enemies you killed. Now they can't do that.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2016, 22:12

You sacrificed artifice and you're going for 15 runes but you can't get LRD at some point to come back and get that rune?? (I suppose you could just have bad luck and no wands of digging, but that seems unlikely). Am I missing a scenario?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2016, 22:53

Ahappydouche wrote:You sacrificed artifice and you're going for 15 runes but you can't get LRD at some point to come back and get that rune?? (I suppose you could just have bad luck and no wands of digging, but that seems unlikely). Am I missing a scenario?

Also if you sac artifice *and* earth magic
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 24th July 2016, 00:43

I did that recently. Luckily I was a Formicid, but... I shouldn't have to be for that to not be a huge pain in the ass, imo

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 13:10

In what way does the game become worse if you no longer have to have a source of digging to get the slime loot after killing TRJ? Is dragging deep trolls to slime 6 an interesting mechanic worth preserving?

The idea of just having the walls disappear also works, and makes slime 6 that much harder, if that's desirable.

The current status quo of "for 99% of characters, the walls don't matter, but 1% of characters have to jump through hoops to get that rune" isn't worth preserving, in my opinion. A player should never have to think when choosing gods/abilities "Will this prevent me from winning the game with 15 runes?" That's spoilery as hell.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks: 5
and into, Arrhythmia, BabyRage, duvessa, Shard1697

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 13:22

I have no strong opinion on the matter, but it happened to me before as well. In the end I cracked this nut with a sledgehammer and learnt shatter. Inside was a book with passwall. Very funny.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 19:37

Does Cocytus 7 still require flying? If so, is that relevant to bring up here? It seems like a similar case to me. Flying may be less limited than digging, but I still see no reason to require it ever. If you added shallow water bridges it would still put characters with no way to fly at a massive disadvantage if that were desirable, it would just no longer be possible to have a character who is literally incapable of reaching the rune.

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks: 4
and into, Arrhythmia, Blomdor, duvessa

Return to Game Design Discussion