New Mutation: Powered by Blood

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 17:04

New Mutation: Powered by Blood

Powered by Blood
Rank 1: Slaying Bonus at Low HP; Your magical and physical power is slightly enhanced at low health.
Rank 2: Improved Slaying Bonus at Low HP; Your magical and physical power is enhanced at low health.
Rank 3: Superior Slaying Bonus at Low HP; Your magical and physical power is greatly enhanced at low health.

Bonus = 0, ceiling(mutlevel*(hp/maxhp)/maxhp))*(0.4*spell power + 4 slaying). You become more powerful with lower % HP

Essentially reverse Augmentation.
The reason I'm posting this is that I'm considering using this idea as part of my Spectre species proposal. Making it an actual mutation would make coding it a lot easier.
I also thought this could possibly make an interesting possible Ds mutation as well.
The relative power of the mutation is offset by the fact that you're just asking to get 1-shot if you're trying to keep it as close to max power as possible all the time.

If it is added to the Ds muts list, I recommend it as a Tier 2, and make it exclusive from Augmentation.
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 18:49

Re: New Mutation: Powered by Blood

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 19:01

Is it on the "Won't do" list?
I can see why it would have been removed as a general mutation, but if I'm looking at it being a semi-species defining attribute, maybe it could be brought back?
Especially since the code already exists.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 19:08

Code:
15:47:22 <elliptic> [...] (reverse) augmentation suffer from doing absolutely nothing unless you are taking serious amounts of damage, which is something that any character tries to avoid

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 19:40

Isn't Powered by Pain really similar?

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 19:41

CanOfWorms wrote:
  Code:
15:47:22 <elliptic> [...] (reverse) augmentation suffer from doing absolutely nothing unless you are taking serious amounts of damage, which is something that any character tries to avoid

Right, that's what I meant about as a general Mut.
But with the species Spectre that I'm proposing, they cast spells from their HP, meaning that reverse Aug might actually do something for them.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 20:02

infinitevox wrote:But with the species Spectre that I'm proposing, they cast spells from their HP, meaning that reverse Aug might actually do something for them.

you could just give them -40% hp and permanent augmentation, which would have a similar effect. reverse augmentation is proposing that: at the point where this species should probably quit and leave the fight, they should instead stay and burn more hp on spells???

Airwolf wrote:Isn't Powered by Pain really similar?

no, it triggers based on the amount of damage you take

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 20:18

Airwolf wrote:Isn't Powered by Pain really similar?