replace health bar

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 15:29

replace health bar

1st thing 1st, sorry for the bad English. :)
Now I don't know if I'm the first one to ask about it, but I really think other than the PC, the monster's health bar should only be a colour indicator, not a meter. ie. we won't deplete the monster health bar, only let the colour changes toward red as monster's health get lower. What do you think?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 15:33

Re: replace health bar

Why?

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 15:35

idk, just thought it would be more interesting that way. :))

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 15:36

Sar wrote:Why?

^

It's the same info, just less clear...

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 15:41

I don't actually think it's that bad of an idea. There's been more than a few times I've thought the enemy is fully alive because I couldn't see his health bar, but then notice that he's nearly dead.

Also, your English is fine :)
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
dowan

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 15:45

This is how it works on console.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 15:51

If the issue is the bar getting small enough that some people don't notice it, it could be an rcfile option.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 15:51

It'd be nice as an RC option at the least. But maybe just a specific fix for the scenario Arrhy is talking about would make sense. That tiny sliver might just be too small when the monster is near death, because I make the same mistake he mentioned all the time.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 20:37

Clearly the correct solution is to grant the player a gimme: when a monster's health bar is reduced to a tiny sliver, the monster drops dead.
  Code:
A voice booms out: That's a gimme!
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Elitist

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 20:52

The topic in a nutshell:

Spikeson: <suggestion>
Sar: Why?
Spikeson: idk

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 20:56

I am against the suggestion because of daltonism.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
Sar

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 21:00

Yes, OP didn't meet the guidelines of GDD, buuuut then there's this:

Arrhythmia wrote:I don't actually think it's that bad of an idea. There's been more than a few times I've thought the enemy is fully alive because I couldn't see his health bar, but then notice that he's nearly dead.

How often do people have this problem? It has occurred to me a few times. When the HP bar gets low, it can be difficult to see.

I don't think that what the OP suggests would be an improvement, but perhaps some additional on-screen indicator of when an enemy is "near death" could help? Or would it only clutter things up worse?

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 21:03

Well if that final HP bar image was just changed a little it would work I think. Just the colors probably isn't that bad of an idea either honestly.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 21:15

Just add to the bar a fixed colour (blue, for example, or white) background, with the bar slowly leaving room for it.
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks: 3
and into, Arrhythmia, dowan

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 22:31

ideas for improving the health bar:
  • don't just remove chunks of the HP bar. Paint them red instead, and leave the remaining HP green. Just like the player.
  • there are 5 states of woundedness but the "almost dead" sliver is noticeably smaller than 20% of a tile's width. Make the 5 health bars be 6, 12, 18, 24, 30 pixels across. (Crawl's tiles are 32x32.)
  • seperate the health bar into several bricks of equal size, so that instead shortening the long bar, you remove bricks
  • reduce states of woundedness to 4: 1-24, 25-49, 50-74, 75-99. (displaying 1/2 health should be closer to full health than to 0 HP, because otherwise, regen following torment would often make the health bar bob up right after halving)
  • combo: 4 HP bars per monster, which turn red 1 by 1, each 6 pixels wide, with 2 pixels between each pair of bars, which is a big bar 6+2+6+2+6+2+6=30 pixels long.

oshit I forgot the core tenet of my design philosophy ok nevermind just REMOVE HEALTH BAR

For this message the author HardboiledGargoyle has received thanks: 5
and into, Arrhythmia, dowan, Haelyn, vergil

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 21st July 2016, 02:19

and into wrote:Yes, OP didn't meet the guidelines of GDD, buuuut then there's this:

Arrhythmia wrote:I don't actually think it's that bad of an idea. There's been more than a few times I've thought the enemy is fully alive because I couldn't see his health bar, but then notice that he's nearly dead.

How often do people have this problem? It has occurred to me a few times. When the HP bar gets low, it can be difficult to see.

I don't think that what the OP suggests would be an improvement, but perhaps some additional on-screen indicator of when an enemy is "near death" could help? Or would it only clutter things up worse?

Just make the "depleted" section of the health bar a fixed color instead of having it be transparent.

For this message the author genericpseudonym has received thanks:
and into

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 21st July 2016, 02:22

oshit I forgot the core tenet of my design philosophy ok nevermind just REMOVE HEALTH BAR

X3

The zombies and skeletons were right all along.
I'm being extorted for money by Domino's of all places. No wonder the mafia had it so easy.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 22nd July 2016, 01:01

What "core tenet"? You mean 'REMOVE IT ALL'?
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 22nd July 2016, 05:22

The current health bar doesn't actually turn (fully) transparent. It just turns black, which is very difficult to see in most areas.

Compare. Current situation:

Image Image

And with (off-)white instead of black:

Image Image

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 8
and into, Arrhythmia, dowan, genericpseudonym, njvack, Shard1697, Shtopit, tedric

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 22nd July 2016, 22:54

HardboiledGargoyle wrote:there are 5 states of woundedness but the "almost dead" sliver is noticeably smaller than 20% of a tile's width. Make the 5 health bars be 6,

Actually, the red chunk is already 6 pixels long, but thanks for not checking.

e: I would of course be willing to change the background, but PF's example with white backgrounds looks distinctly less readable to me, not more.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2016, 05:25

Ah, you're right. It's been that way since... 0.16! Your work?
it's a little inconsistent, though, that the 'almost dead' indicator rounds health up (1-20% shows ~1/5 the bar), while the 'lightly wounded' indicator rounds health down (81-99% shows ~4/5 of the full bar), while the other indicators compromise, so to speak. Could make the 'lightly wounded' indicator a 100% green health bar.

More mock-ups!
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (39.69 KiB) Viewed 9712 times

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2016, 05:43

HardboiledGargoyle wrote:Ah, you're right. It's been that way since... 0.16! Your work?
it's a little inconsistent, though, that the 'almost dead' indicator rounds health up (1-20% shows ~1/5 the bar), while the 'lightly wounded' indicator rounds health down (81-99% shows ~4/5 of the full bar), while the other indicators compromise, so to speak. Could make the 'lightly wounded' indicator a 100% green health bar.

More mock-ups!

I really like second from the right.
take it easy

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2016, 05:55

ugh but then newbs will keep asking why all enemies have only 4 hp

(jk i actually like it, though i suspect the unbroken red/green one next to it may actually be better since it mirrors the player's bar)
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

For this message the author tedric has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, nago

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2016, 07:00

However, the player's HP display is 5-6 times more exact, so they can't mirror each other all that well in the first place.
Arrhythmia wrote:I really like second from the right.
that's my "combo" idea!

For this message the author HardboiledGargoyle has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 13:19

I like second from the right too, although shouldn't it be 5 segments? Unless almost dead would be 4 red bars.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 13:29

As I said, I am against green-red combos because they aren't visible to everyone (like, 8% of men would see them wrong or not perceive the difference at all). If you really want to use a red-green scheme, make sure the red and the green have a strong difference in brightness. This isn't much of an issue with the player bar because there are numbers to be seen, but with monsters it would be different.

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, dowan, duvessa, Sar

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 13:59

Shtopit wrote:As I said, I am against green-red combos because they aren't visible to everyone (like, 8% of men would see them wrong or not perceive the difference at all). If you really want to use a red-green scheme, make sure the red and the green have a strong difference in brightness. This isn't much of an issue with the player bar because there are numbers to be seen, but with monsters it would be different.

Or do like stoplights do and mix in other colors or maybe even shape the bars differently.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 15:54

Shtopit wrote:As I said, I am against green-red combos because they aren't visible to everyone (like, 8% of men would see them wrong or not perceive the difference at all). If you really want to use a red-green scheme, make sure the red and the green have a strong difference in brightness. This isn't much of an issue with the player bar because there are numbers to be seen, but with monsters it would be different.

Very good point. A strong contrast difference would be important, and thick yellow outlines between the red and green sections would probably help as well.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 18:38

Or add the option to customize the colors via rc settings.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 19:33

I like the segmented option too. One thing tat I haven't seen brought up in this thread (maybe I missed it if it was, I just skimmed) is that the current healthbar can feel somewhat misleading to new players. At the very least, when I started, I was completely unaware that the health bar only had four states of "woundedness" and assumed it was an accurate representation of the health the enemy had left. This mislead me about how much damage enemies were taking, since I assumed that any time the enemy's healthbar didn't change, it meant I had done no damage.

So I'm absolutely in favor of an enemy healthbar rework that makes it clear it's only an approximation of their remaining health. Color changes or the four segment bar could both do this.

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks:
Shtopit

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 20:11

How about this? tried to texture the red sections, though could probably use a different pattern.
Attachments
textured HP.png
textured HP.png (15.42 KiB) Viewed 9524 times
take it easy

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 20:14

I have a smaller than average screen and I honestly couldn't see how it was textured until I got close to it. But that's probably an edge case.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 20:20

Shard1697 wrote:I have a smaller than average screen and I honestly couldn't see how it was textured until I got close to it. But that's probably an edge case.

Some more mockups, are either of these better?
Attachments
textured HP 2.png
textured HP 2.png (19.89 KiB) Viewed 9517 times
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
genericpseudonym

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 20:36

Yeah. Especially the first, but the pattern's considerably more readable on both.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 20:48

it'll be better if you made the bar different heights, e.g.

For this message the author CanOfWorms has received thanks: 7
Arrhythmia, duvessa, genericpseudonym, infinitevox, ontoclasm, reosarevok, Shard1697

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 23:22

now that's a lair entrance

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 5
and into, Arrhythmia, genericpseudonym, qwesdf, vergil

Return to Game Design Discussion