Floor bonuses

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 16:14

Floor bonuses

Hello! First time post as this is my first time here.
I mentioned this before in chat at one point and got a few positive responses so thought I'd post it here.

I've always thought that different floor tiles should have different bonuses/nerfs to stealth/ev depending on char. type/equipment. I thought this could be a way of helping stealth chars. which can be a bit weak later on, but also leading to more careful play at times. The place I've had most problem with stealth chars. is in the branches in which they tend to have large open spaces and no where to retreat too, this is why they've mainly be bonuses but others may disagree.

Here was what I thought, although I really don't have the experience in all the intricacies of crawl that some people do and I'm sure people could think of better categories!

Normal floor tile - no bonus/nerf
Grass (lair) - small stealth bonus too all except nerf for naga (swishing grass maybe? or maybe the other way round?)
smooth stone (eleven halls, possibly vault?) - big bonus to naga and smaller bonus for if wearing boots(elven boots for elven halls?).
sand (shaols, pits) - small bonus to all, small EV nerf (unsteady footing)
rough stone (orcmines/Tartarus) - small nerf to all stealth, but possibly slight ev bonus? (easier to get footing?).

I'm sure there are more, or different classifications, I just think it's a possibly untapped area for potential, which could be balanced quite well (they only need to be small buffs/nerfs) but which could also be rewarding for planning ahead or for helping add more flavor to areas other than different colored tiles and slightly more consistent monster types. Also, this could lead the way to having more floor types, we wouldn't necessarily have to just stick with what we have, for instance wooden flooring or metal, and could have more grass areas in the main dungeon like crazy Yiufs corner!

Just a thought, and I'd love your opinion!
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 16:31

Re: Floor bonuses

Something similar to this has actually been implemented in trunk. We don't go by floor types but branches as a whole get a noisiness level, which affects your stealth to some degree. I don't know the exact numbers and I think there aren't a lot of them so far, but Shoals is supposed to be really noisy (with all those waves crashing about), effectively making you more stealthy, whereas the Crypt is on the opposite end of the scale and makes sneaking around more difficult.

Anything further (unsteady footing etc.) would probably be too small to notice. I'm not even sure the shallow water fighting/movement malus is still in the game.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 16:37

jpeg wrote:I'm not even sure the shallow water fighting/movement malus is still in the game.

It is
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 17:49

Ahh, havn't been reading up much on the trunk version, just got it now so shall have a go!
It's probably a much better idea than individual tiles, especially balance wise. Although I still think it would be nice to have a bit of difference in floors, but im not sure how it could be implemented. I always just notice whenever you go over things with 'x' you just get 'a floor' and think that it would be great to have different types to do different things.

Possibly a different approach other than stealth boosts? maybe a speed bonus?? for instance centaurs could do well over grass/mud (not that they really need the speed boost!) and elves could do well in forests and deep dwarves in rough stone?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 18:30

Perhaps at some time blood will have some role. But in any case, the effect should be small (and not really about battle). We don't want players to lure monsters across the map to (or away from) some type of floor.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 19:17

Yeah, It's probably not a good idea for combat due to the whole retreating thing, but maybe it could be used just on movement speed? For instance rocky areas could be faster for deep dwarves and sandy areas could be faster for nagas? This could allow for faster retreats in places your char is familiar with (and wouldn't need to be a large bonus) and vice versa?
Just a thought, I'd love to see some difference in floor tiles. If it was done on a level by level basis, perhaps the floor tiles could have something to do with hunger/metabolism, with the idea that species are better adapted to living in there own environment more? This could be quite a minor bonus, but could help a little bit in some cases, and add some nice flavor to levels.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 18:11

Yeah, tile to tile would be a bit rubbish really, although I suppose it could be alright if large portions were covered of a level. Floor to floor would add more flavor I think, and could lead to a more exciting game (stay on this floor with a speed nerf, or go one deeper for a speed boost!) It'd also allow for some prettier graphics and things for new comers who haven't managed many branches really. I can see it fitting in thematically with the noise system as well. Plus, this wouldn't have to be on every level, it could be only very occasionally, so I don't think it'd mean a hugeee over haul.

My main idea for this was to occasionally help out or hinder the very fast and very slow. For instance naga's could be faster over sand/swamp, whereas spriggans could be slower over swamp and rocky ground. This would help change the pace of things so that people don't just keep running up, firing a venom dart and then retreating for the whole game.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 10th January 2011, 22:21

It would be interesting if speed penalties were different for different sizes. Then if you lure some monsters up/down stairs you might be able to escape better or fight them with some advantage.

Return to Game Design Discussion