Drain Rework

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2016, 13:53

Drain Rework

The drain effect is just a mild annoyance that goes ignored most of the time and the *drain ego is irrelevant, so much so that it had to be buffed, but it still trivial for the most part.
I suggest drain becomes a stronger temporary effect like corrosion, *drain ego becomes like *corrosion(chance to be drained on being hit) and amulet of harm applies red drain when equipped.
Having more threatening draining enemies leads to more interesting combat scenarios instead of a afterthought about how drained you got that you have nothing to do about it.
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks: 2
duvessa, eliotn

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2016, 14:34

Re: Drain Rework

I agree with your observations. The problem I see with this suggestion is that it will make drain death spirals more frequent. Every once in a while we see a thread about someone who got horribly drained and is in a hopeless situation. These threads usually end up with a diagnosis of poor tactics, and so that death is a learning experience. If drain is more potent, though, mere bad RNG luck might get a person into this sort of situation despite good tactics. Perhaps a cap on max draining should be added along with making it more effective?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks:
dynast

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2016, 15:50

*drain on equip or unequip isn't intended as a tactical concern, it's a stopgap against swapping frequency, while it's supposed to be a thing that you switch amulets when it's important to do so. for Harm, particularly, the concern is that you would want to optimally put it on while doing ranged damage, then swap it when something got into melee range, then swap it back, etc. leading to very tedious play. *Drain, in that case is intended to make it not-optimal to swap that frequently, hence making the amulet less tedious.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2016, 15:58

Sure, just have *drain drain you when removed aswell, but have it be temporary too.
You shall never see my color again.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2016, 17:22

"Tactics."

Return to Game Design Discussion