The foo burns/melts

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 18th July 2016, 00:53

The foo burns/melts

Monsters like ice beasts who are stuck with sticky flame get the message "The ice beast burns!" where with any other fire spell, when you hit them you get "The ice beast melts!" This sorta makes it sound like sticky flame isn't doing extra damage to them.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 18th July 2016, 01:17

Re: The foo burns/melts

While we're on the topic of sticky flame, make it so that sticky flame can't stick to water elementals.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 18th July 2016, 01:47

Isn't it "insubstantial" that prevents that? I would think water elementals would have it.

e: additionally, I think it should probably prevent corrosion-I don't think it makes sense to corrode a shadow, for example.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 18th July 2016, 02:19

Laraso wrote:While we're on the topic of sticky flame, make it so that sticky flame can't stick to water elementals.
There are lots of chemicals that will burn on water.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 18th July 2016, 06:34

duvessa wrote:
Laraso wrote:While we're on the topic of sticky flame, make it so that sticky flame can't stick to water elementals.
There are lots of chemicals that will burn on water.

fr: add in minmay's crush to crawl, give her rStickyFlame-
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 18th July 2016, 07:38

Arrhythmia wrote:fr: add in minmay's crush to crawl
way ahead of you mate

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 18th July 2016, 08:27

duvessa wrote:There are lots of chemicals that will burn on water.

Sticky Flame clearly isn't one of those as monsters standing in water won't burn (actually, IIRC intelligent flying monsters flying over water could dip into it to extinguish Sticky).

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Laraso

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 18th July 2016, 12:45

No, you see, the sticky flame solution is petroleum based, which is lighter than water. It's not that the water puts out the sticky flame, it's just that when the creature dips into the water the sticky flame gel is so bouyant it un-sticks to the creature and floats to the surface. So water elementals need to dip into a larger pool to get the sticky flames off them. The game already handles this perfectly!

For this message the author dowan has received thanks: 6
Arrhythmia, duvessa, nago, PleasingFungus, Sar, ydeve

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 18th July 2016, 12:59

duvessa wrote:There are lots of chemicals that will burn on water.

dowan wrote:No, you see, the sticky flame solution is petroleum based, which is lighter than water. It's not that the water puts out the sticky flame, it's just that when the creature dips into the water the sticky flame gel is so bouyant it un-sticks to the creature and floats to the surface. So water elementals need to dip into a larger pool to get the sticky flames off them. The game already handles this perfectly!

If sticky flame is supposed to be a chemical that can burn on water, then logically when an sticky-flamed enemy walks into water it should un-stick them and create a flame cloud nearby. This doesn't happen. Additionally, trying to sticky flame an enemy who is already standing in water, including one that is paralyzed/petrified (and therefore cannot move their muscles to dip the affected portions of their body into the water) simply generates steam.

So even if you try to spin it as a chemical that burns on water, it's inconsistent. Right now it doesn't make much sense why you can't sticky flame enemies in water, but you can sticky flame an enemy that is literally a body of living water.

For this message the author Laraso has received thanks: 2
dowan, nago

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 18th July 2016, 13:05

Sar wrote:actually, IIRC intelligent flying monsters flying over water could dip into it to extinguish Sticky

I want a Crawl where stupid flying monsters flying over water will dip into it to extinguish Sticky and drown.

For this message the author ololoev has received thanks: 6
Arrhythmia, dowan, Haelyn, Laraso, nago, Sar

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 18th July 2016, 14:20

This is a hilarious topic. It's like watching people trying to logic why you can't just walk past the trees in Poke'mon, you haaave to use Cut.

That said, I'll go ahead and offer something. Sticky flames' NATURAL source is a mottled dragon, right? So I'd assume it would be something the mottled little nut could plausibly generate. Not sure what that would be to be honest with you, maybe some kind of napalm or fire mixed with, or perhaps BASED on, acid magic. Might explain the current behavior?
I'm being extorted for money by Domino's of all places. No wonder the mafia had it so easy.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 18th July 2016, 16:26

Haelyn wrote:This is a hilarious topic. It's like watching people trying to logic why you can't just walk past the trees in Poke'mon, you haaave to use Cut.

People are joking around with the explanations, but the basic point in the OP valid. Up to a point, flavor is arbitrary, but it should be consistent. I honestly did not know that you could apply sticky flame to a water elemental, and I've been playing this game a long time. So while this is admittedly pretty minor, inconsistencies in flavor do affect game play.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 18th July 2016, 17:21

You telling me that water elementals dont turn into air elementals when fire is applied to them?
You shall never see my color again.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 18th July 2016, 18:55

no... the fire would burn the air elemental's natural oxygen away???

For this message the author CanOfWorms has received thanks:
dynast

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 18th July 2016, 20:07

dynast wrote:You telling me that water elementals dont turn into air elementals when fire is applied to them?

Steam elementals, the oft overlooked minority, still fighting for elemental equality.
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Return to Game Design Discussion