Upgrade Edmund

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 20:38

Upgrade Edmund

Let's talk about Edmund. Edmund has lived in the shadow of his brother for longer than Luigi has lived in the shadow of Mario.

He is also incredibly bland with no outstanding qualities other than he tends to have decent equipment (does this remind you of anyone? I've forgotten...)

Since the standard solution of merging him with his counterpart (Sigmund) would be weird on many levels, I suggest Edmund goes full anime mode instead.
But we don't have much to go by other than he has a knack for money and a quick wit. Well I have seen minor characters with like 2 seconds screentime be turned into fully playable characrers with a full moveset so we can work this one out, too.

I think with his "canny head for money" he should be a full-flailed Image Gozag worshipper. This gives us some ideas on what he could look like:

-Epithet changed from "The Younger" to "Baron Edmund the Acquistive". He finally bought a nobility title, after all.
    -GUARANTEED to wield a good flail weapon, preferably dire flail. GUARANTEED good medium weight armour. GUARANTEED to be carrying an attack wand.
    -Potion petition: Randomy heals, berserks, hastes, mights or turns Edmund invisible. (There needs to be some limitation on how often he can use this)
    -Dazzling gold: A combination of dreams born by greed and "MY EYES!" randomly afflicts the nearby player with corona, blindness, or confusion (hard mode: sleep)
    -Whistle: Hires some street thugs to merc the player, chose from lowish humanoid monsters such as orcs (and orc warriors), big kobolds, humans etc.

Edmund has suffered through the abuse of his brother Sigmund and the players long enough it's... PAYBACK time!

For this message the author removeelyvilon has received thanks: 2
jeremygurr, PowerOfKaishin

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 20:47

Re: Upgrade Edmund

This is gold, no pun intended.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 22:07

Since this is GDD, I suppose it merits a serious reply.

This sounds like an early-dungeon version of Rupert. Rupert is perhaps the most threatening unique that can be generated in Lair. Edmund typically shows up at DL:2 I think, if not, it's still pretty shallow. Players at these early dungeon levels will not have a way to deal with mobs that can haste, confuse, shoot attack wands, and summon pals all in the same package. It's simply too much for an early unique.

Though Edmund currently is not a threat (since you can simply walk away from him), but he's also a good gamble as killing him can often give you a good early-game weapon. Those who choose to fight him when they find him will often find the fight a difficult one already.

For this message the author Moose has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 22:10

It's time to remove Edmund. He's as threatening as your basic orc. He doesn't even have a silly hat.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 16th July 2016, 00:37

I think considering how early he shows up, it's ok for him to be basic.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 2
Rast, ydeve

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 16th July 2016, 09:53

I think the spot of an early basic unique is already taken by Terence. Besides Edmund doesn't show up THAT early (D4-6) and depth can be adjusted easily.

Also, if we must take a balanced approach (boring) he doesn't need to have all three abilities at once and the attack wand can probably be dropped, too.
He's only speed 10 so he is no real danger anyway.

People always complain how easy this game is, I thought they'd appreciate it if Edmund kicked it up a notch.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 16th July 2016, 12:52

He generates a shop selling his gear when he dies, the bastard.
You shall never see my color again.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 00:17

Maybe he (and his brother, if the gods have mercy) could show up a little later and that way he could have more interesting abilities.

I think it's good that uniques are being given room to be awesome. Robin's a good example of an awesome unique who can still show up early. She THROWS GOBLINS AT YOUR FACE. ...And usually has a good helmet, too.
I'm being extorted for money by Domino's of all places. No wonder the mafia had it so easy.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 14:26

Hah, whenever I run into a big pack of goblins and/or hobgoblins early on, I turn around and look for a stairway. You don't want to get caught in a hallway with mighted hobgoblins on both sides of you...

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 22nd July 2016, 01:03

Whenever I run into a big pack of anything, anytime, I turn around and look for a stairway.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Return to Game Design Discussion