Make /digging temporary

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 21st July 2016, 15:30

Re: Make /digging temporary

My preferred solution to /digging issues is to change /digging to /destruction (or devastation or whatever): top-tier wand with extremely low charges (2?) that fires in a cone-shape, dealing heavy damage and digging out terrain at the same time. I already have a branch in progress for this, but refactoring wand targeting code slowed things down.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 2
Rast, Sar

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 21st July 2016, 18:12

Why a cone? Cone geometry is really weird on crawl's grid.

For this message the author ydeve has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Rast

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 21st July 2016, 18:20

eyes of devastation just shoot a bolt as well, right?

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 21st July 2016, 18:24

It doesn't have to be a cone, but something more different-y than a line or 3x3 ball. Since it's a wand, it should probably be directed in some way, so not simply radiating outward from the player. Given those criteria and the fact that we do use shotgun targetters, I'm inclined to use one here.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 21st July 2016, 19:17

Well... how the hell am I supposed to dig a killhole with that?!? :P

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 21st July 2016, 20:01

Lasty wrote:It doesn't have to be a cone, but something more different-y than a line or 3x3 ball. Since it's a wand, it should probably be directed in some way, so not simply radiating outward from the player. Given those criteria and the fact that we do use shotgun targetters, I'm inclined to use one here.

A line is fine. The charges will be a lot scarcer and more valuable than they are now (*), so it is OK if the player occasionally uses them to killhole rather than to explode monster heads.

*: Except with Pakellas. But he needs to be refactored also.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks: 2
and into, duvessa

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 21st July 2016, 21:17

Rast wrote:
Lasty wrote:It doesn't have to be a cone, but something more different-y than a line or 3x3 ball. Since it's a wand, it should probably be directed in some way, so not simply radiating outward from the player. Given those criteria and the fact that we do use shotgun targetters, I'm inclined to use one here.

A line is fine. The charges will be a lot scarcer and more valuable than they are now (*), so it is OK if the player occasionally uses them to killhole rather than to explode monster heads.

*: Except with Pakellas. But he needs to be refactored also.

Instead of infinite recharging, have Pakellas give a huge number of wand gifts and change wands so that multiple can stack in one inventory slot, like in Angband (or DCSS-ca).

For this message the author genericpseudonym has received thanks:
Rast

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 21st July 2016, 21:31

dowan wrote:Well... how the hell am I supposed to dig a killhole with that?!? :P

You aren't. Corridors are problematic. They make it too easy to fight only one enemy at a time and remove the need for careful positioning around other types dungeon feature, and make luring enemies to corridors a no-brainer. Similary, killholes completely trivialize summoners, ranged attackers, and polearm users.

After all, meliai were recently added to overcome the weakness of killer bees to corridors!
remove food

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 21st July 2016, 22:39

Off topic: Pak can just gift ?recharging....

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 21st July 2016, 22:40

Later dungeon levels are much less corridor happy. But corridors are important for living. Also, this could be partially solved by presenting more types of terrain or interactive feature (see bush, water) or creative traps (see spider basket, boulder beetle hallway)
I'm being extorted for money by Domino's of all places. No wonder the mafia had it so easy.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 22nd July 2016, 00:57

The benefits that this change would bring are far outweighed by the detrimental effects. Antiscumming is good, but it's not the main crusade of this game.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion