Dith warns you if you can't use spells upon joining

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 01:23

Dith warns you if you can't use spells upon joining

Yeah, okay, maybe I'm just an idiot but I pretty much always forget Dith's fire restriction if I'm not actually playing an FE. (And once when I was!)

Like if I'm a a wizard with conjure flame or an artificer I'll join Dith if I find him early and then be all "Oh, wait, that was a really bad idea"/abandons Dith/Dies. Nothing is worse than losing a venom mage who found early ignite poison to God wrath.

So just a prompt "If you join now some of your spells won't work!"

Alternately:

(A) Get rid of the fire restriction all together. It isn't like letting dith worshippers cast fireball would make them overpowered killing machines.

(B) Dith worshippers can't train fire magic.

For this message the author Reptisaurus has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, dowan, Shard1697, ydeve

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 01:57

Re: Dith warns you if you can't use spells upon joining

(A) is the best option far and away
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 01:59

you mean the worst one right

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 02:00

Sar wrote:you mean the worst one right

crate just got a violent twitch and isn't sure why
take it easy

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 02:27

Remove the fire conduct. It doesn't change the way you play at all except for making some of your loot unusable at random.
take it easy

For this message the author Cheibrodos has received thanks: 4
all before, Arrhythmia, nago, ydeve

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 03:39

i don't think that's what the word 'random' means.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 03:46

"Arbitrary", then, since it's not really a balance consideration(fire items/spells specifically are not better than, for example, ice items/spells, so fire's not banned to balance Dith's abilities)

Especially since it cares only about Fire, and not other sources of light. Dazzling Spray is allowed, Corona is allowed...

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 5
all before, Arrhythmia, nago, qwesdf, ydeve

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 04:46

As are thunderous bolts of lightning. Part of me thinks then that this discrepancy should be addressed in the other direction and make all these other sources of light bad conduct.

For this message the author schoen has received thanks:
Laraso

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 04:50

schoen wrote:As are thunderous bolts of lightning. Part of me thinks then that this discrepancy should be addressed in the other direction and make all these other sources of light bad conduct.

It was like this for a while, and then changed to what it is now, because that was even more arbitrary (bolt of lightning made light and was Bad, but conjure ball lightning was chill?)
take it easy

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 06:56

And if you were an --En^Dith, you would invariably forget that Dith hated Corona, then cast it on something that turned invisible and earn some good ol' Dith penance.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 07:05

Arrhythmia wrote:It was like this for a while, and then changed to what it is now, because that was even more arbitrary (bolt of lightning made light and was Bad, but conjure ball lightning was chill?)

Then CBL should have been made bad conduct too? And corona and dazzling spray and all that. I'd prefer if the flavour was actually consistent. However many spells you disallow, it can't be as restrictive as Trog. Buff Dith if he needs it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 07:17

schoen wrote:
Arrhythmia wrote:It was like this for a while, and then changed to what it is now, because that was even more arbitrary (bolt of lightning made light and was Bad, but conjure ball lightning was chill?)

Then CBL should have been made bad conduct too? And corona and dazzling spray and all that. I'd prefer if the flavour was actually consistent. However many spells you disallow, it can't be as restrictive as Trog. Buff Dith if he needs it.

Okay that sounds good until you realize that a lot of the shit in crawl doesn't exist in real life and deciding whether or not it makes light is completely arbitrary. Like, does IMB create light? When I wield a weapon of freeze, it "glows with a cold blue light", should those be banned? Should irradiate be banned because of the magical contamination I stick myself with? What about "clouds of seething chaos", do those involve light or not?

Even after you've compiled a grand list of everything in crawl and decided whether or not it makes light, the question of why banning these things makes Dith a better god is still unanswered. Does not letting me cast Irradiate change the way I play? What is good about having Dith ban freezing weapons from me?
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 7
and into, duvessa, nago, qwesdf, Shard1697, tedric, ydeve

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 13:11

If I remember correctly, Dith's conduct was basically added solely for the sake of adding a conduct, there wasn't really any gameplay reason behind it besides "conducts are neat, let's add a conduct," and that's a pretty terrible reason for it, in my opinion.

Conducts that affect the way you play the game in interesting ways are neat. But I think it's exceedingly rare for Dith to do that. I feel like the vast majority of the time, Dith's conduct affects me in one of two ways:

1. I rely heavily on fire, so choosing Dith is out of the question. Thus, a potentially interesting character choice is not available.
  2. I do not rely on fire, so it has little-to-no bearing on my choice of whether or not to worship Dith. Some completely arbitrary (from a gameplay standpoint) items and spells will not be available to me for the rest of the run. Most of these spells and items are redundant with other, similar spells or items, so this does not significantly affect my playstyle.

Overall, Dith's conduct just feels arbitrary and pointless. It doesn't affect the way I play the game or restrict my character in any interesting ways. Most of the time, it just does nothing, or it takes a choice that might have been interesting ("Do I want to worship Dith with my DEFE?" or "Do I want to learn this fire spell/use this fire item?") and makes it not interesting instead. There's never a point where Dith's conduct makes me seriously consider how it's going to affect my playstyle in a meaningful way.

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks: 8
all before, and into, Arrhythmia, DracheReborn, duvessa, nago, tedric, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 14:18

If we need a flavor-based reason why the goddess of shadow would be okay with light and fire, just consider that light casts shadows. Light is not an opposite for shadow; it is a source of power as well as a potential threat. All the more reason for her followers to take control of it.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, Cheibrodos, duvessa, nago, ydeve

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 16:33

Re: Arrhythmia,

Point well taken. Then the best way forward seems to be not to go all in on this current conduct, but get rid of it or think of a better, more internally consistent one with interesting gameplay ramifications.

For this message the author schoen has received thanks: 4
and into, Arrhythmia, Cheibrodos, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 22:47

I agree that a more meaningful and immersing and still vaguely thematic conduct, would be good to replace the no fire conduct for dith.

Ideas?
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 11th July 2016, 00:12

Why does Dith need a conduct? That was part of the point I wanted to make in my post: Dith is a perfectly good god design without a conduct, and adding a conduct for the sake of adding a conduct just seems silly. Most other gods with conducts or drawbacks have that as the core of their design. The good gods are an exception, but the good god are extremely flavor-focused, especially TSO and Zin.

Trying to add a conduct to Dith just for the sake of having a conduct feels like bad game design. Dith wasn't designed with a conduct in mind (like I said, I remember it being added part way through just because people liked the idea of gods having conducts, and "no light" made thematic sense). Dith wouldn't be overpowered with no conduct. There is no reason that the fire conduct needs to be replaced. It can be removed.

This isn't to say that it isn't possible to give Dith a cool, meaningful conduct that really adds to the god's design, or that we shouldn't discuss it. I just think "Should the fire conduct be removed?" and "Are there interesting conducts that could be added to Dith?" are entirely unrelated discussions, because there's no particular reason Dith needs to have a conduct.

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks: 7
all before, Arrhythmia, duvessa, Laraso, nago, reosarevok, Shard1697

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th July 2016, 01:16

The behaviour where Dith does not warn you when you attempt to cast a fire spell is a bug. You get a warning when you attempt to cast forbidden spells under other gods. You should probably make a bug report.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 11th July 2016, 02:49

crate wrote:The behaviour where Dith does not warn you when you attempt to cast a fire spell is a bug. You get a warning when you attempt to cast forbidden spells under other gods. You should probably make a bug report.

The complaint isn't "i cast fireball under dith and the game didn't warn me".
The complaint is "i joined dith with fireball memorized and the game didn't warn me"

For this message the author genericpseudonym has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th July 2016, 03:13

Oh, well Dith also doesn't give you a warning for spells that he forbids, despite all other gods doing so. The other warning doesn't seem necessary to me, but I don't care much either way. It should also, of course, be extended to all gods if it is added.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 11th July 2016, 14:06

Yeah, being reminded when you join TSO that you can't cast regeneration anymore would be nice too.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
Rast

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 11th July 2016, 22:19

dowan wrote:Yeah, being reminded when you join TSO that you can't cast regeneration anymore would be nice too.

And Zin and Fedhas with necromancy.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 12th July 2016, 14:09

One could consider making a noise conduct. I don't envisage making any spells or activities strictly forbidden or result in penance.

Instead Dith awards more piety for killing enemies quietly. Sleep stabbing and using spells like freeze and pain for example. When killing enemies while making more than a threshold noise (say more than 6), no piety is awarded at all. From 2 (80%) noise to 6 (10%) the chance of gaining piety becomes progressively lower.

Along the same vein Dith could award bonus piety for killing noisy enemies like vault sentinels, howler monkeys and enemies that use noisy spells.

Of course this would need to be communicated to the player somehow and would require a fair bit of overheads to implement. Although players do currently feedback on what kind of kills gods enjoy.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2016, 13:57

Anything encouraging the player to kill monsters in a specific way for piety is a no-go, and for good reason. Do you really want to switch to a dagger to kill popcorn? (More damage makes more noise... I think)

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2016, 16:12

Plus, "Killing monsters without making noise" is already a good thing in and of itself. Most conducts prevent the player from doing a good thing (TSO) or force the player to do a bad thing (Qaz, Chei, Ash).
take it easy

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2016, 22:48

What about having all of the fire clouds/burning you generate be extinguished immediately? Doesn't make fire useless, but it fits well with the theme.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th July 2016, 04:02

Fraknly a noise conduct can only sound like a good idea if you have no clue how many things make noise (hint: almost everything)

Return to Game Design Discussion