Make rest at full HP take less turns

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 22:32

Make rest at full HP take less turns

Players often lure monsters behind a corner, close doors when there are monsters with ranged attacks in view etc. and it is bad when the monster forgets about you so you waste 100 turns losing piety and food.
Thus optimal behavior is to press . several times, carefully looking at the screen not to miss when monster comes into view again. This is annoying, time consuming and boring.
I suggest to change resting take 10 turns first time you lose monster from view if you are at full HP/MP. If for some reason you need to rest more, you can press 5 again and this time it will take 100 turns as before the change. Alternatively it can be implemented via new option like "rest_turns=100".

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks: 4
all before, and into, dowan, duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 22:38

I'd like a command that acts like . whenever 5 would work, and fails whenever 5 would fail (monster in los, etc). There's already a spare key for it, 's'.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 7
all before, Amphouse, and into, dowan, Sandman25, tedric, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2016, 01:40

Re: Make rest at full HP take less turns

You can already do this with 0, though I'm unsure if that works in macros yet. 01s is the command that does exactly what minmay wants.

edit: it works in macros but you have to make it a keymap, not a macro

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
duvessa, sanka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2016, 02:46

crate wrote:01s is the command that does exactly what minmay wants.
Interesting, I didn't realize command repeat had special handling for waiting. I thought it'd be like repeating 'aa' where a balrug being in los doesn't interrupt it.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2016, 10:23

Wow, after so many years of playing I still learn new useful commands, thanks crate.

Do you think it is possible to implement my old dream: that is *movement* keys that behave like this rest command, so that they are ignored when autoexplore would stop, so like when a monster is in view? I would use them for exploring when I do not want to autoexplore. A trigger to change normal function and explore mode would be ideal, but I could simply bind them to different keys than normal movement if this is not possible.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2016, 11:01

sanka wrote:Do you think it is possible to implement my old dream: that is *movement* keys that behave like this rest command, so that they are ignored when autoexplore would stop, so like when a monster is in view? I would use them for exploring when I do not want to autoexplore. A trigger to change normal function and explore mode would be ideal, but I could simply bind them to different keys than normal movement if this is not possible.

These also already exist (and there's a CMD_SAFE_WAIT in there too, rather than needing to use 01s). You can bind them with the bindkey option (I imagine you could theoretically set up some Lua to toggle between standard and safe movement, too).

For this message the author Kate has received thanks: 5
and into, Arrhythmia, crate, Dracunos, sanka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2016, 20:36

You can also use x or X for safe movement, though if you want to use safe movement frequently you should probably just bind the commands.

Return to Game Design Discussion