Ashenzari followers detect spellbooks of spellcasters

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 00:50

Ashenzari followers detect spellbooks of spellcasters

When Lichs were given spellbooks, I had the idea that followers of ash, in addition to all their other detection abilities, could also detect the spellbook of a spell caster (I believe normally the caster has to cast a few spells first before the book is identified in examine?).

I don't use Ash much myself, but I know he isn't exactly in need of any buffs. Additionally, I have the impression that most people don't even pay attention to enemy spellbooks at all. I'm also not really sure how powyrful a buff it could potentially be. My gut says not really all that powyrful, but I'm not a very experienced crawler.

A couple people did seem to like the idea in chat, so I thought I'd bring it forward for discussion.

For this message the author Dracunos has received thanks: 8
darksab0r, dracos369, Floodkiller, ion_frigate, rchandra, removeelyvilon, Sar, Shard1697

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 02:52

Re: Ashenzari followers detect spellbooks of spellcasters

What would be nice would be if, in addition to letting you see the spellbook on x-v, Ash also directly warned you of its most dangerous spell, like:

Code:
A lich comes into view.  Ashenzari cautions you: "It can summon greater demons."

Since there are only five lich spellbooks now anyway, this could be easily (if not prettily) hard-coded. A more general option would to make a list of "dangerous" spells, and have Ashenzari warn you of the first one on said list that the monster possesses. That would make the ability useful for monsters like ogre mages and deep elf mages.

Also, this message definitely shouldn't have a force-more, since in places like Elf or Zot:5 it could get somewhat spammy.

For this message the author ion_frigate has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, darksab0r, Sar, yesno

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 25th June 2016, 04:17

ion_frigate wrote:What would be nice would be if, in addition to letting you see the spellbook on x-v, Ash also directly warned you of its most dangerous spell, like:

Code:
A lich comes into view.  Ashenzari cautions you: "It can summon greater demons."

Since there are only five lich spellbooks now anyway, this could be easily (if not prettily) hard-coded. A more general option would to make a list of "dangerous" spells, and have Ashenzari warn you of the first one on said list that the monster possesses. That would make the ability useful for monsters like ogre mages and deep elf mages.

Also, this message definitely shouldn't have a force-more, since in places like Elf or Zot:5 it could get somewhat spammy.

Code:
An ogre mage comes into view.  Ashenzari cautions you: "It can banish you."

Would be a nice thing to have.
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 20:56

That does seem pretty appropriate for Ash.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 29th June 2016, 12:25

This is an excellent idea.

Tbh, the passive "identification" abilties (not passive mapping, see invis and clarity!) of Ash were mostly made obsolete since now everyone can detect brands on sight (correct me if I'm wrong) and shadow traps are gone too.
Also, the identification game is now merely a formality, too. These are a mildy convenient passives at best.

This suggestion would give ash identification something useful to do and it flies with the fluff. Good fluff + good crunch = ship it.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 29th June 2016, 12:33

A patch would be welcome.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 29th June 2016, 13:55

dpeg wrote:A patch would be welcome.

Well... how about two?

Spoiler: show
Image :lol: :roll:

Return to Game Design Discussion