Buff Alistair's Intoxication

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 20th June 2016, 16:14

Buff Alistair's Intoxication

Hello, crawl world.

As some of you may be aware of, some time ago the Mass Confusion spell got removed in favor of Alistair's Intoxication; because having 2 spells that essentially do the same thing was kinda obsolete.
Since Alistair's was the more interesting of the two, it got to stay. So far, so good.

In the process, Alistair's got improved a little (only gives vertigo status instead of confusing yourself, no chance of draining int, chance to affect rPois enemies). It also got moved to level 5 from 4.

While this was a much appreciated step in the right direction, and despite my stong dislike for black/white thinking, for me the fact remains (after some testing) that...

...Alistair's is still a terrible spell. Not niche use, no secret Korean strategems, just flat out bad.

The main reasons for this are:

1. It's level 5 and 2 spell schools. Chances are you have to invest quite a bit of XP to get this running at reasonable power and percentage. The weird dead end combination of Tmut/Poison doesn't help things...
2. So many ifs and buts... first of all it CAN (no guarantee) affect ONLY enemies with human intelligence. Even lower chances if they have rPois.
3. So if somehow all planets aligned during a blood moon and you finally managed to make it work on a few enemies (with multiple casts)... the duration is CRIMINALLY low!
4. It makes your head spin round round which makes it hard to take full advantage of the few precious seconds you got.

Mass Confusion may have been boring and I can see why it was cut, but it was everything that Alistair's was not: simple and effective. I think Alistair's needs some love to become a worthy replacement.

Have a good day!

removeely

Edit: To be fair, I had a game where Alistair's was my only way to deal with some uniques that I otherwise had no means of defeating (or merely escaping), so props to that. But it was certainly not great having to rely on sheer luck to get out of a sticky situation either.

Edit 2: As to how to actually improve this, I think simply upping the % of afflicting enemies and especially the duration need to go up. The selection of valid victims is low enough to make it not OP imo.
Last edited by removeelyvilon on Thursday, 23rd June 2016, 18:40, edited 2 times in total.

For this message the author removeelyvilon has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, duvessa, nago, Wahaha, ydeve

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 21st June 2016, 01:13

Re: Buff Alistair's Intoxication

Also change it it Hex/Poison instead of Tmut/Poison so the characters who are most interested in confusing things can actually use it relatively easily.

By the way there's no restriction to only humanoid enemies. It just requires that the target have human Intelligence (as opposed to animal or mindless).
I don't see why it shouldn't work on animal-intelligence enemies though... That's another place to potentially buff it.

Also, I just looked at the wiki article for Alistair's and it was awful. Some wiki editor misread the patchnotes and just find-replaced confusion with vertigo through the whole article. So that's fixed now, at least.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 22nd June 2016, 11:46

genericpseudonym wrote:It just requires that the target have human Intelligence

Thanks for pointing that out, I got confused. Perhaps by Alistair's.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd June 2016, 20:16

Can DCSS please just euthanize the poison magic school? It's already comatose and only going to get worse.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 23rd June 2016, 14:29

Poison magic doesnt need AI when you have something better and easier to cast like meph.
You shall never see my color again.

Return to Game Design Discussion