Rework or Replace Monk

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 04:23

Rework or Replace Monk

The two defining features of the Monk background have nothing to do with each other... Unarmed, and Piety boost. Rename Monk to "Devout" or something, and give them a weapon choice (including unarmed) like every other melee background. That's all. :geek:

For this message the author yesno has received thanks: 6
crate, duvessa, nago, rchandra, Sandman25, ydeve

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 06:25

Re: Rework or Replace Monk

Good suggestion, I agree that unarmed and piety boost don't have much connection. I think starting Monk with a weapon makes it very similar to Fi/Gl though, so I've opened a pull request to start with generic fighting skills only.

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/pull/298

For this message the author chequers has received thanks:
yesno

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 07:52

Do Fi and Gl get UC as a starting option for non-Trolls/Ghouls? If UC isn't a distinguishing feature for Monks anymore then maybe they should.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 07:57

@chequers
Starting with just a bit more Fighting doesn't seem to make up for having to rely on 0 UC at XL 1, especially for species unable to get anything out of the Armour skill; better piety doesn't matter as you won't find an altar until XL 3 or so. Every other start has something to rely on even when starting unarmed, be it spells, ranged weapons (AM) or wands (Ar). Also depriving a Monk of Unarmed Combat makes it questionable if it's even a monk anymore - perhaps a class name change would make more sense.

Other than that, it's a decent idea.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 08:33

I think the change was intended to keep Mo the weakest background, not buff it.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 09:19

Yes, well more specifically I wasn't interested in what happened to the power level, as long as it didn't become significantly worse, or better than almost all others.

Suggestions for improvement are welcome: think the core of Monk is bonus piety and beyond that the background should be quite flexible.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 14:25

I think it should start with Dodging, not Armour. Even guys in heavy armour train some Dodging but it does not make much sense to train Armour if you are going to use robe or leather. For example, DEMo can easily join Vehumet or Sif Muna and switch to robe of archmagi.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 17:08

I think it would be funny if monks started with almost no skills but got *****. instead of **....
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 17:33

I think UC and dodging are pretty thematic for a monk, they're seemingly based off the mythical kung-fu monks. Piety goes with that, and seems to work out. I think they're one of the most thematically tight backgrounds in the game actually. Whether the theme itself is worth having is perhaps debatable...

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
Speleothing

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 17:43

UC Monks is how Monks work in DnD IIRC (well, they also can use some "exotic" weapons), so I'd expect most new players to understand the background as it used to be pretty well.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
dowan, Speleothing

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 18:00

How about monks start with 0 piety, and 0 in all skills. However, we'll all agree to insist they are the most powerful background, and act like it should be completely obvious why.

Obviously I'll edit this post so as not to spoil the ruse.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
4Hooves2Appendages

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 20:49

Give them the option to start with a lajatang imo. Still fits the exotic weapon theme and gives them another option.
Maybe also have them start with boots/gloves/both?
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 21:03

infinitevox wrote:Give them the option to start with a lajatang imo. Still fits the exotic weapon theme and gives them another option.
Maybe also have them start with boots/gloves/both?

That would be quite a buff indeed.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 2
Sar, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 21:43

maybe they could start with a quarterstaff and worship zin

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 6
Arrhythmia, nago, prozacelf, Sar, Tressol, ydeve

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 21:56

Sar wrote:UC Monks is how Monks work in DnD IIRC (well, they also can use some "exotic" weapons), so I'd expect most new players to understand the background as it used to be pretty well.

i know, but that's why i suggested a possible name-change to "devout" ( or "faithful", "pilgrim", maybe "acolyte" or something). also i didn't think reproducing DnD culture was a goal for Crawl design anyway, and besides even if it were, i don't think crawl's monk implementation meets the expectations a DnD player probably has (in DnD you gain unique unarmed/unarmored combat powers and resistances over long term, in crawl you gain quicker access to arbitrary set of divine abilities in the short term)

as for skills i don't know they could maybe start with like 2 invo... but... there are a lot of gods without invo after all. their skills can also just stay the same except for option of weapon skill and they'd be fine, or at least better than currently.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 22:15

For this message the author yesno has received thanks: 2
chequers, Shard1697

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 22:46

I agree that it's better to avoid the association between monks and unarmed combat;
yesno wrote: "pilgrim"
would be best: you are conducting a sacred pilgrimage to the dungeon, in search of legendary altars, and the rest writes itself.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 23:08

yeah, i like that one too.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 23:31

Martial Artist imo

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 02:27

As a fan of crappy starting backgrounds, I am displeased.

(Really!)

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 03:09

play mumo, my friend

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 05:52

dowan wrote:How about monks start with 0 piety, and 0 in all skills. However, we'll all agree to insist they are the most powerful background, and act like it should be completely obvious why.

Oh gitp forums, how I missed thee and thy partially charged wands

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 12:10

Reptisaurus wrote:As a fan of crappy starting backgrounds, I am displeased.

(Really!)

You can always start-scum for some truly horrendous Wanderers. They exist.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 12:49

Rest in pizza demigod monk. You were too pure for this cruel world.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 03:16

I'm just glad that good older suggestions can be redone, and might get followed!
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 21st June 2016, 21:51

so i feel a little shy making another suggestion here after such a nice change was already made, but how about quarterstaves among options for monk starter? just seems like they should have one...

For this message the author yesno has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, reosarevok

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 21st June 2016, 22:06

dowan wrote:How about monks start with 0 piety, and 0 in all skills. However, we'll all agree to insist they are the most powerful background, and act like it should be completely obvious why.

Ah.. the ol' Chei trick.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 22nd June 2016, 09:04

yesno wrote:so i feel a little shy making another suggestion here after such a nice change was already made, but how about quarterstaves among options for monk starter? just seems like they should have one...

It's getting harder and harder to tell Mo and Gl apart... or is that the intention? Stealth removal by making 2 backgrounds the same :twisted:

For this message the author DracheReborn has received thanks: 2
nago, ydeve

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 22nd June 2016, 14:35

mo doesn't have armor or nets and has lower fighting and weapon skills...

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 25th June 2016, 08:03

The only buff Monk needs is for Fo to have upwards to 4 attacks with UC.

For this message the author TonberryJam has received thanks:
Shard1697

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 25th June 2016, 09:05

TonberryJam wrote:The only buff Monk needs is for Fo to have upwards to 4 attacks with UC.
3 unarmed punches without shield(and 1 with) would not be broken. I'm in favor

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 18:52

The point of the monk is that you're trading your starting gear for the piety. Since you have no starting gear, you have no weapon, thus unarmed skill. Piety is a somewhat limited resource, perhaps analogous to a Gladiator's nets (and weapon/armor/helm) or a Fighter's might potion (and weapon/armour/shield). Giving up the gear means giving up the skill associated with the gear. I don't understand what's wrong with this arrangement. Next people will be asking for Fi to start with Evo instead of Shield skill, because not all fighters want to wear shields the whole game.
"This spell will have no effect right now because your brain is too dead to use."

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 19:03

That's actually a problem with artificers/hunters. Why do they start with short blades?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 19:05

Because they need some weapon, but giving them a good one would be too good. I guess?

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Sandman25

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 19:47

Artificers and Hunters aside, the piety and the unarmed on monks are in fact related, as I explained above.

I would be happy for Artificer to start with a quarterstaff, but that could be OP I guess. Hunters could probably survive D1 even without a melee weapon. Perhaps short blades are for flavor in that case? Hunters get DEX and stealth, so maybe a dagger is more appropriate than a short sword (for flavor as well).
"This spell will have no effect right now because your brain is too dead to use."

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 28th June 2016, 01:08

Tressol wrote:The point of the monk is that you're trading your starting gear for the piety. Since you have no starting gear, you have no weapon, thus unarmed skill. Piety is a somewhat limited resource, perhaps analogous to a Gladiator's nets (and weapon/armor/helm) or a Fighter's might potion (and weapon/armour/shield). Giving up the gear means giving up the skill associated with the gear. I don't understand what's wrong with this arrangement. Next people will be asking for Fi to start with Evo instead of Shield skill, because not all fighters want to wear shields the whole game.

monks don't get armour, aux armour, nets, a shield, or a might potion, or as much weapon skill ...

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 28th June 2016, 02:10

Nor as good a weapon!
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 28th June 2016, 03:10

yesno wrote:
Tressol wrote:The point of the monk is that you're trading your starting gear for the piety. Since you have no starting gear, you have no weapon, thus unarmed skill. Piety is a somewhat limited resource, perhaps analogous to a Gladiator's nets (and weapon/armor/helm) or a Fighter's might potion (and weapon/armour/shield). Giving up the gear means giving up the skill associated with the gear. I don't understand what's wrong with this arrangement. Next people will be asking for Fi to start with Evo instead of Shield skill, because not all fighters want to wear shields the whole game.

monks don't get armour, aux armour, nets, a shield, or a might potion, or as much weapon skill ...

Interesting that you bring up weapon skill. According to the wiki (I'll check in game when I get home, I know the wiki blows), Monks get 4 UC and Gladiators get 3 skill in chosen weapon, Monks get 3 fighting to a Gladiator's 2. They get Stealth instead of Throwing at 2, and both backgrounds get dodging at 3. So, monks effectively get more overall starting exp, and posess probably better starting stats for a light armor type. But feel free to keep making up "facts" to support your position.

Edit: Facts checked. As of 0.18.1, these figures are still correct.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th June 2016, 03:24

Actually, both of you are pulling things out of your ass. Monks and gladiators currently get the exact same amount of weapon skill.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 28th June 2016, 03:46

duvessa wrote:Actually, both of you are pulling things out of your ass. Monks and gladiators currently get the exact same amount of weapon skill.

I literally just checked *again* with a human monk and a human (unarmed skill) gladiator. You are wrong or trolling. I will post turn 0 morgue files if you need me to. Monks start with 4 UC skill, Gladiators 3. I ALSO made a weapon (maces & flails) gladiator just to check if that somehow made a difference. It did not. You are wrong. 0.18.1.

Kindly check your facts before you claim I'm pulling stuff out of my ass when I explained to you that I had just checked mine.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th June 2016, 04:05

Uh, minmay was certainly talking about current trunk, where monks are not the same as 0.18 monks. If you read the commit that changed monks (linked earlier in this topic) you see that they do indeed have the same weapon skill gladiators do.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th June 2016, 04:37

Tressol wrote:
duvessa wrote:Actually, both of you are pulling things out of your ass. Monks and gladiators currently get the exact same amount of weapon skill.

I literally just checked *again* with a human monk and a human (unarmed skill) gladiator. You are wrong or trolling. I will post turn 0 morgue files if you need me to. Monks start with 4 UC skill, Gladiators 3. I ALSO made a weapon (maces & flails) gladiator just to check if that somehow made a difference. It did not. You are wrong. 0.18.1.

Kindly check your facts before you claim I'm pulling stuff out of my ass when I explained to you that I had just checked mine.
Why are you talking about a two-month-old version of Crawl, when there is a link in this thread to a change made to Mo this month?

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 28th June 2016, 05:08

Well, I see that now. I don't generally follow Trunk, and I missed the link when first reading the thread so that's my mistake. Sorry for stirring things up, then.

In my defense, the version to which I was referring to was made clear in the edit on my ("talking out of my ass") post, and there were still no replies when I got home, checked .18.1 and then added said (version labeled) edit to the post.

I still don't think I like this change, but whatever - I hardly play Monks, anyway. If anything, these changes make them even less interesting to me.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 28th June 2016, 23:20

i thought gladiators got 4, my mistake, but there's no need to start talking like that just because that other guy is

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 29th June 2016, 22:01

Don't mind duvessa, she's always inordinately angry to any given situation

Personally, I think monks should start with gloves or boots (or both)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 29th June 2016, 23:40

Why? Gladiator getting aux armor is part of what sets it apart from monk(better gear overall). A big part of monk as a start is "minimal armor".

Return to Game Design Discussion