Ru sacrifice craft?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 13th June 2016, 16:21

Ru sacrifice craft?

Sacrifice craft:
You are unable to improve items and may not use scrolls of brand weapon, enchant armour/weapon, or recharging.
This is a modest/significant sacrifice

This should only be offered as one of the initial sacrifices or perhaps the piety should decrease based on XL to account for finding good items.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 13th June 2016, 19:17

Re: Ru sacrifice craft?

I think that to balance this you'd want to base the piety value on some estimation of the quality of enchantable gear that exists in the dungeon, but that would be a lot of work.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 13th June 2016, 19:18

Make sacrifice craft ignore the enchantment levels of all armour and weapons.

For this message the author ydeve has received thanks:
Wahaha

Barkeep

Post Monday, 13th June 2016, 19:27

I'd say: don't restrict charging, but treat any wielded/worn items as +0 (or min(0, enchantment))

Piety might be more reasonably based on the number of slots with gear that could be enchanted (this is basically no sac for Fe but a big sac for HO)
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
ydeve

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 13th June 2016, 21:28

That would be a pretty brutal sacrifice for the characters it affects.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 13th June 2016, 21:53

Yeah, it'd be a pretty big sacrifice. But for enough Ru piety, there aren't a lot of sacrifices that wouldn't tempt me. I think the biggest worry might be that it's too much like sac armour + sac eye; "hey have less AC and do less melee damage"

Alternately, artefacts could keep their enchantment level which might lead to using a bunch of gear you'd normally leave laying around...

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
ydeve

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2016, 08:54

Sacrifice "remove moths of suppression". Like sac exp/skill, I don't think I could take this unless it gave me an unbalanced amount of piety.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2016, 13:46

Folks keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2016, 14:40

ydeve wrote:Make sacrifice craft ignore the enchantment levels of all armour and weapons.

Seems viable, specially if you are doing a unarmed statue/dragon form, or playing a draconian mage(though i would never do a mage of ru).
You shall never see my color again.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2016, 14:54

njvack wrote:Yeah, it'd be a pretty big sacrifice. But for enough Ru piety, there aren't a lot of sacrifices that wouldn't tempt me. I think the biggest worry might be that it's too much like sac armour + sac eye; "hey have less AC and do less melee damage"

Alternately, artefacts could keep their enchantment level which might lead to using a bunch of gear you'd normally leave laying around...

Definitely make artifacts keep enchantment levels, call it: "Sacrifice Enchantments" and have it mention that artifacts are except because their enchantments are part of what they are and not just enhanced versions of what it used to be, or something like that.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2016, 16:55

njvack wrote:Folks keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Which word, "unbalanced"? I really did mean that. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that this is worth the same as Durability + Eye, 50-60 piety? I might only take it if it gave 120 piety which would clearly ruin the game (or at least the best god) for other people.

dynast wrote:Seems viable, specially if you are doing a unarmed statue/dragon form, or playing a draconian mage(though i would never do a mage of ru).

Why not? You don't have the infinite MP of Sif but Draw Power is pretty great, and you get the other abilities/passives as well anyway. MuFE of Ru was a lot of fun.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2016, 19:52

If there's a sacrifice and Ru gives you enough piety that you'd consider it, then I think it's by definition balanced. That's what balance *is*.

If it gave you so much piety that you'd obviously take it, that's unbalanced.

Honestly I think something that you could get as your first sacrifice that was really debilitating but also maxed Ru piety might be a pretty interesting choice if it were offered occasionally...

Return to Game Design Discussion