Zig Reform

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 18:42

Zig Reform

Now that megazigs are a thing, I think its probably worth fixing some of the problems with doing multiple zigs. Why exactly is it worth fixing? Well, lots of players, including myself, enjoy finding upgrades for equipment and getting to use items we wouldn't normally have access to. Easily my favorite part about .18 was the addition of zig figurines, making it much easier to go from one zig to the next. Its sort of created a whole new way to play the game, a whole new level of replay value, and I for one really really like that.

There are a number of fixes that I think need to be made to the status quo:

• Don't allow the player to leave until they pick up the figurine. Make it so picking up the figurine is what creates the portals on the final level, there is nothing worse than forgetting a figurine after completing 20+ megazigs.
  • Remove loot from the main battle area. Create a door in the back of the room that leads to the "treasure area" where all the loot is kept. EDIT: Possibly put the portals and staircases here as well. Probably a good idea to prevent teleporting into this area though.
  • Make all loot automatically identified in zigs. One of the most frustrating parts of doing multiple zigs is constantly having to identify everything, especially when your inventory gets full and you have to pick things up, equip them, then uncurse them, then drop them, 5 times in one floor.
  • Allow legendary decks to spawn on zig floors still. This is actually very important, decks are one of the most enjoyable long term parts of megazigs imo, they allow access to powers that you are virtually never able to take full advantage of. Being able to stock up on tomb cards, exile cards, elixir cards, and so on is a very fun part of the megazig experience. Its hard to explain exactly why this is so important, but I'm sure other people who enjoy megazigs can chime in and do it justice far better than I can(or maybe I'm just crazy). This can be justified by saying "zigs contain many rare and valuable items that are normally unavailable" which is already true for zig figurines. The top cards of decks should probably still need to be ID scrolled.
  • (OPTIONAL): Add back in xoms chess pieces and allow them to very rarely spawn only in megazigs. They had really awesome artwork, interesting flavor, and were something fun to collect after you've managed to acquire every single unrand in the game.

The last one about xoms chess pieces is of course just something I know I enjoy personally, I have no idea if other people felt the same way about them. They seem rather harmless as long as they only exist in the world of megazig zaggers.
Last edited by Tiktacy on Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 18:49

Re: Zig Reform

Removing loot from the main area is bad, one of the neatest things is considering how greedy to be when fleeing a dangerous floor. Can I apport that, the other, and drop something, and grab them all, then leave? If not, which items to not collect?
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

For this message the author rchandra has received thanks: 2
Sar, Wahaha

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 18:52

rchandra wrote:Removing loot from the main area is bad, one of the neatest things is considering how greedy to be when fleeing a dangerous floor. Can I apport that, the other, and drop something, and grab them all, then leave? If not, which items to not collect?

You can put the portal in the room with the loot.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 02:07

What's the point of adding the treasure room? You explained your reasoning behind the rest of the changes, but not the treasure room.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 02:17

Quazifuji wrote:What's the point of adding the treasure room? You explained your reasoning behind the rest of the changes, but not the treasure room.

My mistake, I guess I forgot to mention the inconvenience of having your loot covered by bodies and other items all the time.

Return to Game Design Discussion