Minor note for ring of flames

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 5th June 2016, 23:27

Minor note for ring of flames

In trunk, ring of flames has weird behavior. If you cast ring of flames and it ends, it can block auto explore and you can end up in a cloud of flame. Is this intended?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 5th June 2016, 23:54

Re: Minor note for ring of flames

It's always done that, not just in trunk. It is annoying though.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 02:55

I've never actually used the spell. Is it worth it?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 02:56

It's not very good. Its main use is getting a fire enhancer.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 09:23

or as rF in a pinch if somehow you find yourself not having enough from your equipment.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 15:49

Yeah it is in a pretty awkward place, it might be worth it as a melee focuser, if it wasn't so high level, and as a fire conjuration focuser, it probably is only occasionally worth the mp and spell slots.

It is one of those spells i infrequently use, and am always questioning whether it wouldn't be as worthwhile to do something else instead.

It might be worth noting that it also is pretty effective at negating cloud damage which is ok for stuff like ice caves and the like,if you have it and can cast it.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 23:54

I do think that the "constant surrounding clouds that move with you" aspect is more cool(burn all enemies around me while cutting them all with my axe? yes please!) and unique than the enhancer aspect(which already is done by multiple items, which you can already stack), and the resistance changing which honestly I think is very weird for something that isn't a transmutation. I'd like to see the level moved down a lot and the other aspects removed, personally. But maybe that's because I'm a greedy melee hybrid guy and I always want more spells that help melee and can be reasonably cast in medium armor.

Return to Game Design Discussion