Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.


Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

User avatar

Swamp Slogger

Posts: 132

Joined: Tuesday, 15th November 2011, 23:26

Post Sunday, 5th June 2016, 07:50

Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

Something to add flavor like some of the other gods along the lines of, "You join the rest of your ancestors..."
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

For this message the author Xion350 has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Laraso, Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1667

Joined: Saturday, 11th October 2014, 06:12

Location: Brazil. RS, Santa Cruz do Sul.

Post Sunday, 5th June 2016, 14:56

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

"You die... You are welcome with laughs as your ancestors tap you in the back, while pointing to the next unfortunate worshipper".
You shall never see my color again.

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 8783

Joined: Sunday, 5th May 2013, 08:25

Post Sunday, 5th June 2016, 18:10

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

There are too many of these already. The only one that makes sense is Fedhas', the others should really be removed.
User avatar

Dungeon Master

Posts: 431

Joined: Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 17:34

Post Sunday, 5th June 2016, 18:14

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

I agree that printing one brief flavour line after the game has already ended is unacceptable

For this message the author ontoclasm has received thanks: 15
Arrhythmia, Laraso, nago, Rast, RBrandon, Sar, Shard1697, Speleothing, TeshiAlair, Tiktacy and 5 more users

Dungeon Master

Posts: 1050

Joined: Thursday, 12th June 2014, 05:19

Post Sunday, 5th June 2016, 18:46

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

welcome... death! is critical to crawl's flavour and cannot be removed

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 8
all before, Arrhythmia, Laraso, nago, Sar, Shard1697, xbon, yesno

Dungeon Master

Posts: 3160

Joined: Sunday, 5th August 2012, 14:52

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 11:17

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

These messages are spoilers about what happens after death, and need to be removed. People are supposed to learn that only by dying themselves.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 6
all before, Arrhythmia, Laraso, nago, PleasingFungus, Sar

Dungeon Master

Posts: 3618

Joined: Thursday, 23rd December 2010, 12:43

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 16:53

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

Everything but "You die" is flavour over content and full proof that the devs lost it.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 3
Laraso, PleasingFungus, TeshiAlair
User avatar

Vestibule Violator

Posts: 1591

Joined: Saturday, 3rd August 2013, 18:59

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 17:55

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

Cool it on the roasting you guys, minmay is vulnerable to fire!
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Vaults Vanquisher

Posts: 463

Joined: Monday, 20th July 2015, 04:01

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 19:12

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

uh, guys, there's nothing wrong with death quotes. They aren't flavor over content. They're just flavor.

For this message the author PowerOfKaishin has received thanks:
Shard1697

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 8783

Joined: Sunday, 5th May 2013, 08:25

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 19:41

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

they're clutter that makes the game's flavour worse instead of better
User avatar

Blades Runner

Posts: 568

Joined: Wednesday, 5th March 2014, 03:52

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 19:45

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

duvessa wrote:they're clutter that makes the game's flavour worse instead of better


I'm not sure that would work for Hep, but when they institute Janethose, the God of Constant Complaining that would be a good death quote.

Good show.

For this message the author Reptisaurus has received thanks: 5
Laraso, PowerOfKaishin, Sar, Shard1697, TeshiAlair

Vaults Vanquisher

Posts: 463

Joined: Monday, 20th July 2015, 04:01

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 19:46

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

duvessa wrote:they're clutter that makes the game's flavour worse instead of better


They appear when you die. What the hell are they cluttering? You don't exactly need to read status messages at that point. Anyone who wants to know anything useful about their recent demise should be studying the morgue file anyway.

For this message the author PowerOfKaishin has received thanks: 2
Laraso, Shard1697

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 8783

Joined: Sunday, 5th May 2013, 08:25

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 19:58

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

the argument for including death lines is that it helps crawl's "flavour" or narrative. it is definitely possible to clutter that narrative with irrelevant, inconsistent, or unfitting details

for example, "Are you sure you want to commit suicide" was changed to "Are you sure you want to abandon this character" because it didn't fit the context, Norris' surfboard was removed for being too modern of an invention, and a reference to rape was removed from a spellbook description because it was out of place in crawl. none of these changes affect gameplay but they were still made because they improve the game by making its world more tight and consistent

in my opinion the death lines other than maybe fedhas' and gozag's (which reflect what naturally happens to corpses created under the god) don't contribute to the game's flavour, they dilute it



every time I suggest something specifically to improve flavour I'm told that I'm trying to "remove flavour" which doesn't even make sense. I guess if you ever suggest that gameplay might be more important than bad jokes people will remember you as someone who hates all flavour in crawl and wants to destroy it, and project that onto every suggestion you make in the future
Last edited by duvessa on Monday, 6th June 2016, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

Dungeon Master

Posts: 625

Joined: Thursday, 23rd October 2014, 03:08

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 19:59

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

gozag's is actually relevant if you are playing a felid

For this message the author CanOfWorms has received thanks:
duvessa

Sar

User avatar

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6418

Joined: Friday, 6th July 2012, 12:48

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 20:06

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

duvessa wrote:a reference to rape was removed from a spellbook description

wait what

Vaults Vanquisher

Posts: 463

Joined: Monday, 20th July 2015, 04:01

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 20:08

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

duvessa wrote:the argument for including death lines is that it helps crawl's "flavour" or narrative. it is definitely possible to clutter that narrative with irrelevant, inconsistent, or unfitting details

for example, "Are you sure you want to commit suicide" was changed to "Are you sure you want to abandon this character" because it didn't fit the context, Norris' surfboard was removed for being too modern of an invention, and a reference to rape was removed from a spellbook description because it was out of place in crawl. none of these changes affect gameplay but they were still made because they improve the game by making its world more tight and consistent

in my opinion the death lines other than maybe fedhas' and gozag's (which reflect what naturally happens to corpses created under the god) don't contribute to the game's flavour, they dilute it



every time I suggest something specifically to improve flavour I'm told that I'm trying to "remove flavour" which doesn't even make sense. I guess if you ever suggest that gameplay might be more important than bad jokes people will remember you as someone who hates all flavour in crawl and wants to destroy it, and project that onto every suggestion you make in the future


If you have a link or know a lot about it could you please PM me as I'm curious what you're talking about when you say rape. Anyway, a rape reference is obviously out of place anywhere in this game, so let's not compare other flavor to that.

Norris having a surfboard seems like personal preference, but since crawl is supposed to be a little more serious than hack, I can understand why you would want that removed. However, interesting things like spell descriptions (many of which were taken out) and death quotes completely fit this game.

I normally play Gozag so I'm used to seeing Gozag's. What are some of the death quotes for more common gods?

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 8783

Joined: Sunday, 5th May 2013, 08:25

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 20:25

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

Sar wrote:
duvessa wrote:a reference to rape was removed from a spellbook description

wait what
  Code:
book of demonology

When touching this book, you hear faint screams of tortured souls. Each
and every page is about demons, demons of all kinds and sizes, and how
to unleash them unto this unsuspecting world. Many wizards have proven
too weak to stand the power of this tome. You are not sure whether you
hear the screams of the countless victims, which have been eaten,
maimed and raped by the demons. Or do you scream yet?

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
Reptisaurus, Sar, ZoFy

Sar

User avatar

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6418

Joined: Friday, 6th July 2012, 12:48

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 20:26

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

huh

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Swamp Slogger

Posts: 162

Joined: Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 06:04

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 20:47

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

Wow that is ... not well written.
User avatar

Dungeon Master

Posts: 431

Joined: Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 17:34

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 22:59

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

duvessa wrote:the argument for including death lines is that it helps crawl's "flavour" or narrative. it is definitely possible to clutter that narrative with irrelevant, inconsistent, or unfitting details

Absolutely! When including things for flavor reasons, it's very important that they be short, straightforward, and thematically appropriate -- no bad jokes, objectionable material, etc. They should only occur occasionally, and not get in the way of gameplay.

For instance, maybe a player who worships one of the handful of gods strongly associated with death or corpses could receive one short, matter-of-fact line from that god when he or she dies.

For this message the author ontoclasm has received thanks: 4
dracos369, Laraso, Shard1697, TeshiAlair

Dungeon Master

Posts: 1050

Joined: Thursday, 12th June 2014, 05:19

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 04:57

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

yeah, i absolutely agree with minmay on the principle that adding death lines to gods could be clutter. (i don't see any particular reason to add one to hep, for example, unless someone actually comes up with a really good one). but when i looked through the current lines, they almost all seemed good to me?

exception: the kiku line for undead ("welcome... oblivion!") is lame, and i may remove it.

also i guess probably the nem death message should be removed, since it hasn't made sense in a long time.
User avatar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1891

Joined: Monday, 1st April 2013, 04:41

Location: Toronto, Canada

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 05:59

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

PleasingFungus wrote:also i guess probably the nem death message should be removed, since it hasn't made sense in a long time.


how could you remove the rainbow sparkles on death, the one true link crawl has to its dead gay legacy
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 8783

Joined: Sunday, 5th May 2013, 08:25

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 06:14

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

So the thing about gods in Crawl is that, while they have detailed descriptions, their personalities are almost completely ambiguous (except for Xom, Gozag, and Jiyva, who speak a lot as jokes, so let's just ignore those gods in this context). They are not assigned visual appearances, and they speak very rarely. That means that if they ever do speak, it should feel like a special occasion, since it reveals a piece of the mysterious personality. Most communication with the god is abstracted away with messages like "Elyvilon forgives your inadvertent unholy act, just this once," without stating how Elyvilon communicated that forgiveness.
The current occasions where they do so, that I can think of, are:
- "You shall pay for your transgression, mortal!" when penance without abandonment occurs. This one is good for practical reasons; getting penance should be as hard to miss as possible.
- Good gods saying "Farewell. Go and [aid the meek/vanquish evil/enforce order] with [other god]." when you convert to another good god. According to a comment, this is supposed to be "Some feedback that piety moved over." Which is weird, since that's...not an obvious interpretation of the text at all, and your piety is shown on the main screen now anyway. It is good feedback that you won't get wrath effects from the god you abandoned, but that should also be communicated when you renounce your good religion in any context (except deserting to an evil/chaotic god, obviously). Overall, I think this message is out of place. Other messages for changing religions are "Trog welcomes you (back)!" "Trog does not appreciate desertion!" "You have lost your religion!" No speech involved, even though the occasions are if anything more momentous.
- Good gods complaining when you join an evil/chaotic god after leaving them. There needs to be feedback that you'll get wrath effects, so that practical concern overrides any questionable flavour.
- The message "How dare you come in such a loathsome form!" should you happen to try to worship a good god while in shadow/lich form, Yred while in statue form, or Zin while transformed at all. You only see this message if you are specifically trying to see this message, so whatever. I do, however, wonder why exactly the good gods consider shadow form loathsome, since it is neither undead, demonic, nor evil.
- The lines you get when you reload a game while worshipping a god. I am not fond of these, especially they are awfully close to breaking the 4th wall (how can the gods tell when you saved and loaded? Are they aware they are in a game?). The demands like "Kill them all!" are especially bad in terms of betraying too much of the god's personality. One like "I know many secrets..." is better, though I'm still not convinced it's better than nothing.
- Beogh speaks when you destroy an orcish idol, although his exact words are not given unless you are an orc. Again, you have to specifically seek this out, and Beogh has little ambiguity left, so I don't care much.
- "Use this gift wisely!" upon using a one-time ability. I am fine with this one, since it's the most special occasion that can occur with Crawl gods.
- Kiku and Pakellas' death messages. I guess Pakellas is supposed to be another talkative god like Gozag? The Kiku one really bothers me, because it assigns so much purpose to Kiku worship that wasn't there otherwise (the nature of worship, and what exactly it implies regarding ownership of your body/soul, is otherwise ambiguous in Crawl). I think Yred's is even worse for the same reason; it doesn't involve actual speech, but necessarily implies that you signed over your remains to Yred at the altar, and in turn suggests a place of origin for Yred's ally gifts, something that was much better left ambiguous IMO.
- Some gimmicky altar vaults. I don't feel like getting into those.

tl;dr I imagine sif muna as my perfect nerdy waifu, don't tread on my fantasies with your canon

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
floatboth, rchandra, Sar

Sar

User avatar

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6418

Joined: Friday, 6th July 2012, 12:48

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 08:21

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

"no flavour is good flavour because it's ~ambiguous~"

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 3
Laraso, Shard1697, yesno
User avatar

Tomb Titivator

Posts: 911

Joined: Thursday, 17th December 2015, 02:36

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 13:06

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

Bingo! Filler can compete with or drive out flavor instead of enhancing it. Poop has flavor.

The Fedhas death quote actually doesn't make sense. Fedhas appreciates when corpses decompose, not when living things die. You may even die to orb of destruction or disintegration, which would ensure that you wouldn't leave a corpse.

Xom has the best death quotes. Chei could say "Take it easy." when you die, lel

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1667

Joined: Saturday, 11th October 2014, 06:12

Location: Brazil. RS, Santa Cruz do Sul.

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 13:41

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

A plank of wood is too modern for crawl? What a trunk wearing surfer is doing in the freaking dark age?
You shall never see my color again.

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6419

Joined: Tuesday, 30th October 2012, 19:06

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 15:41

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

I had always interpreted the message when you reloaded the game as a helpful reminder as to which good you were worshiping, so you didn't unmindfully break conduct (that is harder to do accidentally now, not impossible, but harder)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!
User avatar

Swamp Slogger

Posts: 132

Joined: Tuesday, 15th November 2011, 23:26

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 02:59

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

Jeez I can't tell if you guys are serious or not sometimes. I just thought it was fitting for a god all about ancestors to give a line that you end up joining them after you die horribly.
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

For this message the author Xion350 has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Laraso

Dungeon Master

Posts: 1050

Joined: Thursday, 12th June 2014, 05:19

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 05:07

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

this forum is too serious for its own good tbh

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 5
Amphouse, Arrhythmia, edsrzf, Laraso, Sar
User avatar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1762

Joined: Monday, 14th October 2013, 01:05

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 17:47

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

I can't believe that someone exists who thinks Gods in crawl shouldn't have a message when you return to a saved game, because it's "breaking the fourth wall". Come on, dude.

As far as I'm concerned the god death messages are all cute and fun, and every god should have one. They don't interfere with anything because they happen after gameplay has ended, and no matter what they are, they're more flavorful than just "you died".

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
Laraso

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6419

Joined: Tuesday, 30th October 2012, 19:06

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 23:00

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

Shard1697 wrote:I can't believe that someone exists who thinks Gods in crawl shouldn't have a message when you return to a saved game, because it's "breaking the fourth wall". Come on, dude.

As far as I'm concerned the god death messages are all cute and fun, and every god should have one. They don't interfere with anything because they happen after gameplay has ended, and no matter what they are, they're more flavorful than just "you died".

Perhaps there should be an option to skip them as well.

Maybe one to skip the inventory display too and just take you directly to the new game screen.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 4055

Joined: Tuesday, 10th January 2012, 19:49

Post Saturday, 11th June 2016, 16:34

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

You can already mute any messages you like in your rcfile, as far as I know.

Return to Game Design Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.