New Unrandart: Hat of Invisible Being

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 12:17

New Unrandart: Hat of Invisible Being

+2 hat of invisible being:
1) *Fragile
2) permanent invisibility without contamination generated
3) *Confuse (can trigger confusion when taking damage)
4) *Corona (can trigger corona status when taking damage, effectively removing invisibility for its duration)
5) *Contam (causes heavy contamination when unequipped)
6) EV - 5 if player cannot see invisible and is invisible.

Great vs creatures who cannot see invisible, bad otherwise. Encourages switching to Ashenzari.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 12:20

Re: New Unrandart: Hat of Invisible Being

Why does it need *Contam when it has *Fragile?

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 12:23

Because early game has a few monsters who can see invisible so every character would equip the hat and then take it off later when monsters with see invisible become abundant.

Edit. Of course the item is preidentified.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 12:27

Even at -2 that hat would be broken. Right now it is incredibly broken. I mean I definitely like stabber playstyle buffs after all the debuffs, but this needs some other flavour. Like *noisy or so.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 12:38

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Because early game has a few monsters who can see invisible so every character would equip the hat and then take it off later when monsters with see invisible become abundant

I don't think a fixedart being "too strong" in early game is a problem that needs solving. Like, if you find Maxwell's Coffin before Lair, you can wear it and be pretty much invincible. It's okay, the chance is low enough.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 13:40

le_nerd wrote:Even at -2 that hat would be broken. Right now it is incredibly broken. I mean I definitely like stabber playstyle buffs after all the debuffs, but this needs some other flavour. Like *noisy or so.

My initial idea was to give it "permanent slow as penalty" (that's why it is a hat to exclude Formicids) but then I thought that maybe it is not that powerful since old ring of invisibility didn't make player invincible even if player carefully retreated when invisibility was about to expire. If *Corona and *Confuse are not enough, that can be changed of course.

Also I see that some players are fine with it:
I don't think a fixedart being "too strong" in early game is a problem that needs solving. Like, if you find Maxwell's Coffin before Lair, you can wear it and be pretty much invincible. It's okay, the chance is low enough.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 16:25

Great idea for an unrandart, I'd love to see this in the game!
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 16:30

If it matters, I think I can create the patch. I just don't want to start working on it without preliminary approval/feedback since it is not exactly trivial patch for me.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
andreas

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 17:24

What about the hat making you invisible as long as you aren't seen? (Thinking of mystery men right now.)
So as long as monsters don't notice you, you have invisibility, great for trying to set up a stab opportunity, but as soon as something notices you (ie not distracted/sleeping/hasn't spotted you) you lose that boost.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 17:27

eliotn wrote:What about the hat making you invisible as long as you aren't seen? (Thinking of mystery men right now.)
So as long as monsters don't notice you, you have invisibility, great for trying to set up a stab opportunity, but as soon as something notices you (ie not distracted/sleeping/hasn't spotted you) you lose that boost.

Sorry, this is not what I had in mind. It was inspired by this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cap_of_invisibility

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 18:02

Pretty cool idea! I think (not 100% sure) that umbra will cancel corona. If so this seems extremely powerful with Dith or ring of shadows.
Comborobin Admin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 18:05

xentronium wrote:I think (not 100% sure) that umbra will cancel corona. If so this seems extremely powerful with Dith or ring of shadows.

Well, both Dith and ring of shadows provide a way to be invisible when it matters, so maybe it is ok.

Edit. Though it is possible to get umbra with Yred also so maybe the corona should not be cancelled by umbra.
Last edited by VeryAngryFelid on Friday, 3rd June 2016, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 18:24

eliotn wrote:What about the hat making you invisible as long as you aren't seen? (Thinking of mystery men right now.)

Ditch the *confuse but up the corona-on-hit chance to 100%. So as soon as a single monster notices and attacks you your invis ends.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 18:26

genericpseudonym wrote:Ditch the *confuse but up the corona-on-hit chance to 100%. So as soon as a single monster notices and attacks you your invis ends.

Yes, it can work too and will be an unique effect.

I'll wait for devs feedback before implementing.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 20:01

I would prefer for there to be, very simply, an unrand piece of jewelery that auto-evokes invisibility immediately when you put it on, like how boots of flight work. It would not really be much different from wearing a cloak of invisibility, but less annoying to manage.

Another recent thread suggested removing contam from being invisible, so that you only get contam from becoming invisible. The unrand could be compatible with that thusly: the ring is always cursed and cannot be uncursed, but after a small period of being invisible, it removes itself through the curse, making you visible again. (The LOTR ring could dilate and gain weight when it wanted you to (R)emove it.)

How would permanent invis interact with permanent mark?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 20:27

HardboiledGargoyle wrote:How would permanent invis interact with permanent mark?

I think it would not be different from being temporary marked while being temporary invisible, no special-casing is needed.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 20:33

OK, what is gameplay like when you're both marked and invisible?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 20:37

Good question ;) I don't know. I suppose monsters know your position but still experience accuracy penalty if they don't see inv.

Return to Game Design Discussion