God concept: Tuoroni, god of doors, enclosures and borders

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 21:59

God concept: Tuoroni, god of doors, enclosures and borders

I have been ruminating on this god idea for a while. I'm sure it's far from ready - lots of stuff is negotiable, but I think there is some interesting design space to explore.

As god of borders and enclosures, Tuoroni has opposed Lugonu's corruption of space since time immemorial. A character who has ever followed Lugonu and joins Tuoroni starts under pennance (and vice versa).

Tuoroni (working name) hates digging, distortion weapons, and certain summoning spells - specefically those that call demonic creatures, as they break down the barriers between worlds.

Tuoroni greatly appreciates the killing of demonic creatures (especially when not in Pan, Hell, or Abyss - though this is negotiable), and monsters that dig and/or summon, as well as the destruction of books containing forbidden spells, weapons of Distortion and wands of digging/disintegration. Tuoroni also appreciates exploration. (This may need to be modified, as it's a lot of fiddly stuff)

Powers:

...... Seeker of Ways

Pray to destroy forbidden objects, if that is a source of piety.

*..... Door (Foo)

Bar the Way - Closes and locks a door within LoS. Duration and strength of the lock is based on Invocations - Something like 2dInvo vs HD of the monster attempting to open it, details negotiable. (Light piety, 2 mp)

**.... Road Scholar

You can see through doors and ignore the Vault Warden door/stair blocking ability. Possibly you open doors instantly and/or quietly. (Open to input, here)

***... Border (Foo)

Seal the Gate - Invoke to block (hostile?) summoning for the duration (invo based). Enemies attempting a summoning spell cantrip instead if they fail a check similar to the locked door check above. (Moderate piety, 4-5 mp)

****.. Keymaster

You have a Piety/200 chance for closing/opening doors (and using stairs?) to be instant. Also, the Vault Warden's ability does not stop you opening doors or using stairs.

*****. (based on ability)

Okay, I need some help here. I'm thinking something like teleporting from stair to stair or door to door within a level, or possibly it could be like a self-banishment to a floor of your choice. The problem is that these abilities are really powerful and also similar panic-button god abilities exist. Locking a monster up is very similar to Zin, etc... Maybe an ability to drag a monster with you to an "arena" to fight it 1v1? Given the Invo focus so far, I feel it should be an activated ability relying on Invocations.

****** Watcher at the Edge

No new abilities

Other possible benefits include always knowing the location of all stairs (and thus portals) and/or doors, and there should probably be some unique behavior in Abyss as well. Bar the Gates should try to block spawns during the Orb Run, possibly, though it would burn piety pretty quickly. If Phase Shift ever came back, this god would hate it. Oh, and Felids might start under pennance, because they can't choose what side of a door to be on. :p

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys think.
"This spell will have no effect right now because your brain is too dead to use."

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 22:10

Re: God concept: Tuoroni, god of doors, enclosures and borde

I'm not sure that vault warden abilities, anti-summoning, and a mediocre scrying are worth building a god around; the benefits are very marginal and frequently totally useless (e.g. most all of the lair+associated branches). Plus, being built around doors means you even more explicitly need to manage corpses/drops around doors. The only really good ability is the 100% chance to instantly use stairs at max piety, which would certainly make Vault 5 and Tomb 3 manageable even without any useful abilities.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 22:16

Fair point about the plethora of areas without doors. I had thought at one point about giving conduct not to leave stuff in doors but, yeah, that's awful. Possibly we could have closing a door on loot/corpses/etc destroy that stuff (only artifacts survive)?

If the capstone abitiy were something like ToME's Fearscape (drag enemy to a 1v1 arena fight, possibly one where you have an advantage), I could see it being useful even through extended... Using something like that on Asmodeus and following up with the anti-summon could be huge. I was more worried about it being *too* huge.
"This spell will have no effect right now because your brain is too dead to use."

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 02:04

I think it would be cool to have an ability to lock doors(enemies must then attack them to break them down, taking multiple turns and destroying the door in the end), and possibly an expensive ability to create them.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 09:18

If it's not too OP perhaps he could grant an ability to apply a rune to a closed door to turn it into a runed door, with a duration based on Inv.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 5th June 2016, 03:02

I had contemplated a "create door" ability, but it doesn't feel like a capstone. I suppose it could come at ** and just cost a goodly chunk offl piety. I think maybe such an ability should also be slow, but the god does have some fairly strident conduct, so maybe it's okay if it's just expensive. Such an ability wouldn't help much in Lair, but would be huge in Zot, which is nice.

One idea (not sure how practical this is to code) that I had was that Tuoroni would oppose summoning things that "don't belong" in the branch. Mostly this would mean no demonic creatures outside Hell/Pan/Abyss, and nothing but demonic creatures in those places. Also, he should probably hate Summon Forest, for fluff reasons. Not sure about Shadow Creatures - probably it should be fine, as they are made of the "stuff" of wherever the PC is. Anyway, having the god just hate demonic summons (and maybe Summon Forest) makes sense, given the emnity with Lucy.

I feel like Door Creation and a smite-targeted "Doorscape" ability would make this god quite strong, but I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to handing out cool new powers to players (I've run a lot of D&D over the years...).

Edit: Oh, probably this god ought to grant Banishment resistance as well, but not know where portals lie within Abyss. I feel like summoning doors would make it powerful early and late, which is probably good. Also, Tuoroni should be a Lawful but not Good god.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 21:48

Inmunity to Banishment to the Abyss should be an instant Passive.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 23:05

green wrote:Inmunity to Banishment to the Abyss should be an instant Passive.

Or give a choice of being banished or not.

Return to Game Design Discussion