Prevent certain clouds from rod of cloud...

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 01:13

Prevent certain clouds from rod of cloud...

Rod of cloud is very nice rod all time. But some believers can't use it because of it's random cloud emitting nature.
Some gods should prevent the certain clouds from emitting what they hate. Like, Chei can prevents haste effect from berserk?

For example...
Good god trinity (Zin, TSO, Elyvilon) prevent negative energy clouds.
TSO prevent poison clouds.
Dithmenos prevents fire clouds.

For this message the author Morrneyo has received thanks: 2
ololoev, Shard1697

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 11:17

Re: Prevent certain clouds from rod of cloud...

Similar topics have come up before. Basically, if something can produce a variety of random effects, and would produce an effect that is hated by your god, I think it should always be suppressed, never penanced. This applies to Rod of Clouds and Wand of Random Effects, not sure if there's anything else.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 12:02

The thing is; we -do- do this for spells, but not evocables. TSO blocks, Shadow, Golden and Swamp dragons from being summoned by Dragon's Call...
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 16:32

bcadren wrote:The thing is; we -do- do this for spells, but not evocables. TSO blocks, Shadow, Golden and Swamp dragons from being summoned by Dragon's Call...

We do the same for evocables: rod of shadows for example. The difference is summons vs non-summons.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 20:14

It still seems pretty arbitrary for conduct gods to react differently to random summons and random conjurations. Is there a reason for this? If not, I'd say make all random effects handled the same way by gods. My vote would be handle them all like summons are handled now, and have the god suppress conjurations they don't like.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 20:23

The other consistent alternative is to have all items which could *possibly* produce an effect your god doesn't like, be marked as 'hated', and suppress nothing, I would like this just as much (if not a bit more)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Sar, ydeve

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 10:00

Siegurt wrote:The other consistent alternative is to have all items which could *possibly* produce an effect your god doesn't like, be marked as 'hated', and suppress nothing, I would like this just as much (if not a bit more)

That is the other alternative, I just strongly prefer the "suppress" option, personally.

Return to Game Design Discussion