New Unrand: Torpor Shell

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 24th May 2016, 19:12

New Unrand: Torpor Shell

A piece of armor carved from the shell of a torpor snail. Although the snail has long since passed, you can feel the remnants of their slow mindless existence seeping into the very fiber of your being.

+14 Torpor Shell [-5 intelligence, slow-monster, *paralysis]

You may sometimes be paralysed upon taking heavy damage(you curl up into your shell in fear)
All monsters in your LoS are slowed

Basically, when you get hit hard, you curl up into your shell like a snail when its scared. However, despite this large drawback, you are able to slow down any enemy in the game, most likely resulting in you being able to preposition yourself at will. I imagine the paralysis for this armor would need to be adjusted to make sure it doesn't last for too long making the risk too significant.

Just for fun, imagine for a moment using this armor while hasted, using a quickblade of speed, after activating finesse.

EDIT: Changed the OP a little bit.
Last edited by Tiktacy on Wednesday, 25th May 2016, 07:38, edited 2 times in total.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks:
chequers

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 24th May 2016, 19:21

Re: New Unrand: Torpor Shell

If a Formicid found this it would absolutely break the game. Not only will it move at normal speed while everything else is slowed, it is immune to the paralysis effect as well. You're practically permanently hasted and if you're playing a melee-focused character like a Be you're golden. Hell, even magically-inclined Formicids have no reason not to wear this. The int penalty is somewhat compensated for by the strength bonus (since a Torpor Shell would obviously have weight).

Other than that, this looks amusing. If heavy damage is over >50% health, then this can only happen once, meaning that yes, giving it low duration paralysis would be neat.

What's the base AC of a Torpor Shell?

For this message the author PowerOfKaishin has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 24th May 2016, 20:32

I'm not sure if stats add much to the design. I'm also not sure if *paralyse is necessary - it's a mechanic from a different monster.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 24th May 2016, 20:56

PowerOfKaishin wrote:If a Formicid found this it would absolutely break the game. Not only will it move at normal speed while everything else is slowed, it is immune to the paralysis effect as well. You're practically permanently hasted and if you're playing a melee-focused character like a Be you're golden. Hell, even magically-inclined Formicids have no reason not to wear this. The int penalty is somewhat compensated for by the strength bonus (since a Torpor Shell would obviously have weight).

Other than that, this looks amusing. If heavy damage is over >50% health, then this can only happen once, meaning that yes, giving it low duration paralysis would be neat.

What's the base AC of a Torpor Shell?

I like to think its plate, but I'm not sure what it should be for a base body.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th May 2016, 21:19

Permanently slowing both the player and all enemies is basically amulet of resist slow; the only net effect in most cases is that the player is immune to further slowing (I mean, enemies are too, but players don't actually slow enemies very often). I'm pretty sure that's not going to get into crawl.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 24th May 2016, 21:47

crate wrote:Permanently slowing both the player and all enemies is basically amulet of resist slow; the only net effect in most cases is that the player is immune to further slowing (I mean, enemies are too, but players don't actually slow enemies very often). I'm pretty sure that's not going to get into crawl.

It doesn't slow the player.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th May 2016, 22:01

+14 Torpor Shell [-8 intelligence, +5 Strength, slow, *paralysis]

I assumed the "slow" there meant it did slow the player.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 24th May 2016, 23:03

i think it might be misremembering the term for 'ponderous'?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th May 2016, 23:17

I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant to be ponderous.

Tiktacy wrote:All monsters in your LoS are slowed
[...]
you are able to slow down any enemy in the game, most likely resulting in you being able to preposition yourself at will
[...]
Just for fun, imagine for a moment using this armor while hasted, using a quickblade of speed, after activating finesse.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2016, 00:29

For clarity the inscription would probably have to say something like {slowmonsters}.

Also throwing my vote in for removing the stat changes, they seem mostly unrelated.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2016, 05:26

Also in favor of removing the stat changes. On top of them feeling generally kind of arbitrary, not a fan of the item just being off-limits to low int characters (which are often heavily armored ones who might be interested in wearing this otherwise).

I keep going back and forth on whether I think the slow aura is too overpowered for this to work or the paralyze is too crippling for this to work, but maybe that just means it's an interesting item that's at least worth testing out in trunk. It would be one of the most powerful bonuses on any randart, but also one of the most dangerous downsides. I'm glad that the paralyze is upon taking heavy damage and not random, because if it were random I think it would be way too frustrating. Heavy damage only still makes it incredibly dangerous, but that's necessary for such an insanely powerful upside.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2016, 05:50

I thought the slow was some kind of activated ability.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2016, 06:38

Casters would never take that because of int malus. Non-casters just cant handle it!

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2016, 08:32

I like the idea of taking this unrand one of two ways:

a) it slows everything but the user, and has otherwise atrocious stats (because perma-slowing everything but yourself is insanely powerful), say -1 animal skin *Corrode *Confuse.
b) it slows everything including the user and has decent stats (because slowing everything is interesting but not great as per crate), say +5 animal skin.

Also, the minimum attack speed is 0.3, haste/finesse don't improve on a quickblade's speed.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks:
Shard1697

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2016, 10:36

Akshully it's 0.2, so Haste or Finesse do improve it, but Finesse is not better than Haste at it.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
chequers

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2016, 10:43

An alternative: +4 Torpor Shell [ponderous+++, slowmonsters], base item is large shield.

Slows everything in sight, but lowers your movement speed massively so that you can't run away from most things even if they're slowed, and needs substantial shields investment. Still very powerful, though.

For this message the author Croases has received thanks: 4
amaril, Sar, Shard1697, Tiktacy

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2016, 12:22

Croases wrote:An alternative: +4 Torpor Shell [ponderous+++, slowmonsters], base item is large shield.

Slows everything in sight, but lowers your movement speed massively so that you can't run away from most things even if they're slowed, and needs substantial shields investment. Still very powerful, though.

So it's Chei on a large shield, but you successfully Bend Time on everything in sight automatically, permenantly, and for free. This is on top of being able to pick a different god and still be able to use Haste or Berserk.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2016, 12:44

it doesn't give you +15 to all stats

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2016, 13:39

And ask to train a kinda bad skill to 25.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2016, 13:41

Well, unlike Chei this item actually would have a synergy with Nagas!

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
nago

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2016, 13:47

PowerOfKaishin wrote:If a Formicid found this it would absolutely break the game. Not only will it move at normal speed while everything else is slowed, it is immune to the paralysis effect as well.

If this existed, I don't think Fo should be immune to its paralysis. Flavor-wise, it's not actually paralysis anyhow; it's you hiding in the shell.

I can't speak to the balance of this, but the idea is neat.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 28th May 2016, 23:03

Sar wrote:Akshully it's 0.2, so Haste or Finesse do improve it, but Finesse is not better than Haste at it.

It's still a dumb restriction. Going straight from 0.2 to 0.1 with haste would be stupidly powerful of course but there shouldn't be anything stopping the game from just using div_rand_round to make it 0.1 aut X% of the time. And Finesse dropping a quickblade from 0.3 to 0.15 average isn't proportionally stronger than dropping another weapon from 0.7 to 0.35, anyways.

The restriction on move speed makes more sense because a lot of stuff is actually a flat minus to move delay instead of a percentage bonus, and as you get closer to 0 those get significantly stronger.

But I want to use hastefinesse quickblades of speed and have a 0.1 attack delay with a 1/3 chance to take 0 time instead.

For this message the author genericpseudonym has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th May 2016, 23:10

haste and finesse don't stack but the minimum should indeed be 1 instead of 2

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Sar, Tiktacy

Return to Game Design Discussion