Randart weapons with resistances and evocable abilities

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 12:49

Randart weapons with resistances and evocable abilities

So, my SETm has:

Code:
The bardiche of Rontir {drain, +Blink rElec Str+1}
It insulates you from electricity.
It lets you blink.

and

Code:
The mace "Val Tuarph" {elec, rF++ Stlth++}
It greatly protects you from fire.

Which is great, because now I have rElec and evocable blink, and great rF. But it's also silly: I'm never going to use these weapons. I'm just gonna carry them around the dungeon and switch to them if I need to close with an electric eel or dragon, or if I'm getting beat on and need to blink away. It feels kinda wrong to carry weapons around if I'm not going to use them as, y'know, weapons.

Would the game balance issues of not having "non-weapon" properties (resistances, +Blink, -Hunger) on weapons be tractable? Am I just being a whiner?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 14:03

Re: Randart weapons with resistances and evocable abilities

njvack wrote:So, my SETm has:

Code:
The bardiche of Rontir {drain, +Blink rElec Str+1}
It insulates you from electricity.
It lets you blink.

and

Code:
The mace "Val Tuarph" {elec, rF++ Stlth++}
It greatly protects you from fire.

Which is great, because now I have rElec and evocable blink, and great rF. But it's also silly: I'm never going to use these weapons. I'm just gonna carry them around the dungeon and switch to them if I need to close with an electric eel or dragon, or if I'm getting beat on and need to blink away. It feels kinda wrong to carry weapons around if I'm not going to use them as, y'know, weapons.

Would the game balance issues of not having "non-weapon" properties (resistances, +Blink, -Hunger) on weapons be tractable? Am I just being a whiner?

It does not seem that much different from carrying different rings, just heavier.

I am used to referring to the weapon for mages as a "stat stick".

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 22:13

Re: Randart weapons with resistances and evocable abilities

minmay wrote:It would not be an improvement to take weapons from "mostly useless to unarmed players" to "completely useless to unarmed players."

what with the impicit knife, you don't even have to carry around a dagger to be UC anymore.

I got used to keeping my random artifcat as a bonus butchering tool.

Return to Game Design Discussion