Evaporate->Steam-Type Cloud

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 14:54

Evaporate->Steam-Type Cloud

As it stand, Evaporate seems really powerful to me, at least compared to Meph. It is lower level, longer range, and has a wider, more powerful variety of effects. The only drawback to the spell is that it requires carrying reagents (but those are plentiful).

What if all clouds from Evap were treated as steam clouds, in terms of random placement and dissipation? That would make it less reliable (you can't dance a monster into the cloud) and powerful (you can't keep a monster in the cloud for extended periods) in a flavourful way. Also, if this should nerf it too badly, then you might add some additional steam damage at the targeted square.

I have heard that clouds are difficult to code/change, but I have no idea how difficult implementing this would be.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 15:01

Re: Evaporate->Steam-Type Cloud

I would say that such steam-like behaviour would be actually a buff for this spell.
At least I think that potions of confusion will be even more precious with such change.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 15:18

Well, early on, sure. But when you have to keep the monsters in the clouds for a non-minor effect, then it would make it more difficult. (Steam Clouds spread out and last 2-3 turns, other clouds last much longer (3-6?) and have a reliable area of effect)

However, Fulsome Distillation would have to change to a P chance to produce a potion of water, since the player could simply use more potions to achieve the same effect on a particular monster.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 15:30

I do like the idea of Steam type clouds, although as you say, you can farm so many confusion potions that it wouldn't really matter/could be a large buff for earlier levels.
Hmm...Not sure what the answer is, but I very much like the idea of steam type clouds.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Return to Game Design Discussion