Make Zot more boring

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 7th May 2016, 01:28

Make Zot more boring

The orbrun/dig thread reminded me of a thought I had regarding the killhole strategy, which is where you dig a tunnel so that you can fight a large group of enemies one at a time. I use this strategy almost every time I deal with Zot:5, to the point where even if I won't need it I dig one anyway just in case I need to retreat into it later. Creating a killhole used to be my go-to strategy for the last floor of Elf as well, until Deep Elf Elementalists were added. These enemies break apart the walls you're hiding behind, disrupting the killhole strategy and in my opinion making the Elf:3 fight much more interesting and challenging. What if a similar idea was applied to Zot:5?

My off the cuff proposal is to make orb guardians break through walls in the same style of the now-axed boring beetle (only please without the message this time). This would reduce killholing on Zot:5 and make the climax of the game more varied. The reason I suggest boring instead of digging or some other kind of long-range wall destruction is because having a guardian trail you could potentially give you an guaranteed infinite source of digging if you're fast or tanky enough to kite it.

tldr: Killholes are boring, give a Zot:5 enemy a wall-destruction ability. Sorry for the clickbait title.

Alternative: Make every wall in Zot:5 undiggable.
take it easy

For this message the author Cheibrodos has received thanks: 2
andreas, Tiktacy

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 7th May 2016, 04:01

Re: Make Zot more boring

I think that the killhole strategy is pretty bad compared to using stairs. Stairs guarantee having less enemies to fight consecutively, make it easier to rest after a fight, make it possible to walk away, make it safer to teleport.

I do dig a corner on Zot 5 to make ranged enemies approach me. If the corner were to get destroyed, I would dig another one. And if it gets too inconvenient to dig more corners I would use stairs, which is more tedious.

For this message the author Wahaha has received thanks: 2
Tiktacy, ydeve

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 7th May 2016, 04:27

Usually it's a longer walk to the stairs than to whatever rock formation was generated right outside the vault, and that distance matters more when a lot of the dangerous things in Zot:5 are fast. Stairdancing will be an issue for the foreseeable future but I think this is a way to improve things now.
take it easy

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 8th May 2016, 07:08

I don't think digging helps that much in Zot 5, except when I'm too lazy to split packs of summon spamming draconians.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks:
duvessa

Return to Game Design Discussion