Human zombies are small?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 17th October 2011, 16:03

Human zombies are small?

As a Draconian Death Knight in 0.9.1, I animated the remains of Jessica, and when I examined the zombie, the description said that she was small... Is this a bug? Or are human zombies intended to be small?
The Ed draws near! What dost thou deaux?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th October 2011, 16:20

Re: Human zombies are small?

There's only small and large zombies, and every body gets slotted in somewhere. Where do you think the line should be drawn?

A human zombie is pretty much the same as an orc or goblin zombie, except with a few extra hit points. An ogre zombie clutching a giant spiked club is potentially another matter entirely.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 17th October 2011, 19:19

Huh, strange, so there's no medium-size zombies? Seems odd that a human zombie is the same size class as a rat zombie... :P
The Ed draws near! What dost thou deaux?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th October 2011, 23:44

These are rodents of unusual size we're talking about here! Besides, an orange rat zombie has more hit points and hits harder than a kobold or goblin zombie.

More seriously, in ASCII the difference between small and large zombies are z vs. Z. There's no medium-sized version between lower-case and capital letters. The various body shapes of zombies do get special tiles in the tiles version, which is very nice.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 18th October 2011, 02:22

KoboldLord wrote:These are rodents of unusual size we're talking about here!

Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 18th October 2011, 02:31

KoboldLord wrote: The various body shapes of zombies do get special tiles in the tiles version, which is very nice.

Speaking of which, a (very) little bit more differentiation might be helpful. It's slightly disconcerting to be facing draconian zombies in the Crypt that look identical to the orc zombies you were mowing down in the early dungeon. It's led to a few "that enemy was tougher than I thought it would be" moments.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 18th October 2011, 07:44

I've always thought it would have made more sense for zombies to take the glyph of the base monster, with a special color reserved for zombies. That would require some pretty big changes at this point, though.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 18th October 2011, 08:44

Danei wrote:I've always thought it would have made more sense for zombies to take the glyph of the base monster, with a special color reserved for zombies. That would require some pretty big changes at this point, though.

That is a really good idea. It may require dismissing some monsters (subtypes) for overly full letters but it would definitly be worth it.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 18th October 2011, 13:27

Danei wrote:I've always thought it would have made more sense for zombies to take the glyph of the base monster, with a special color reserved for zombies. That would require some pretty big changes at this point, though.

+1 for this idea. White for skeletons and grey for zombies would seem the most logical to me, but there are a lot of whites already.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 18th October 2011, 14:10

minmay wrote:I'm not convinced. Zombies lose all their abilities other than movement and melee - a stone giant zombie and an ogre zombie have more in common than a stone giant zombie and a stone giant. Therefore, it makes sense to have them on the same glyph.

I agree, but for me the flavor of having multi-glyph mindless undead outweighs the ease of reading Z/z.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2011, 15:39

Wyvern zombies are surprisingly lethal. For me, the change would be not just about flavour but also improve gameplay. It brings both useful and not so useful additional information; the former is worth it, in my opinion.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2011, 16:12

it's not just flavour (even though there's plenty). it'd help discriminate the strength of monsters (or allies): there's a difference from an orc zombie and a saint roka zombie (edit: i failed so spectacularly at this i'm not going to change it). and being able to guess movement speed at a glance would be helpful too.

you'd need two colors though, one for zombies and one for skeletons, for consistency. white could work for skeletons (necrophages and ice beasts can't be raised), and a few monsters could be moved away from brown to reserve it for zombies (ettins, and probably plenty more i forget about). (if anyone can find glyphs and colors in the code in a readable form, please point it out.)

i don't like, but it's always possible to flicker between two colors, like simulacra do.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2011, 16:15

absolutego wrote:it's not just flavour (even though there's plenty). it'd help discriminate the strength of monsters (or allies): there's a difference from an orc zombie and a saint roka zombie (edit: i failed so spectacularly at this i'm not going to change it). and being able to guess movement speed at a glance would be helpful too.

you'd need two colors though, one for zombies and one for skeletons, for consistency. white could work for skeletons (necrophages and ice beasts can't be raised), and a few monsters could be moved away from brown to reserve it for zombies (ettins, and probably plenty more i forget about). (if anyone can find glyphs and colors in the code in a readable form, please point it out.)

http://koti.welho.com/jarmoki/crawl/index.html

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2011, 16:20

excellent, thanks.
it also looks that much harder now, of course.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Return to Game Design Discussion