Race Proposal: Slimelings

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2016, 19:42

Race Proposal: Slimelings

Race Concept:

Slimelings are humanoid slime creatures that mutate rapidly and have a unique mutation that gives them increased chance to receive beneficial mutations from all sources except enemy attacks. They are extremely resilient creatures with high HP, but taking damage has a chance to cause temporary negative mutations similar to wretched stars with especially damaging attacks gaining the chance of a semi-permanent negative mutation.

Here are just a few extra potential facets that might be interesting or flavorful that can be added on to this race:

• Immunity to corrosion.
  • Constriction
  • Devour body's automatically when you stand over them rather than making chunks.
  • No rings, you just have the general shape of hands but no fingers!
  • Race specific mutations
  • Wild Magic

Aptitudes:

For weapon aptitudes -1 across the board and -3 for unarmed(slimey fists don't have a firm impact). Poor dodging aptitudes(-2) but very good armor aptitude(+2 or +3). Stealth and invoke at 0, evoke at -1(maybe -2). FIghting should be +2, give them lots of HP to make up for the negative mutations, and have the base HP be similar to that of demigods. As for spells, I'm not really sure what to do with this. I say put all spells at 0 with spellcasting at -2, that setup gives lots of options for spellcasting builds without being too restrictive, MP at +1 to makeup slightly for the poor spell casting aptitudes.

I don't want to solidify my stance on aptitudes quite yet, I think they could easily change quite a bit and just want to give a general idea of what kind of race I want to be making with this proposal. I will probably get to it within the next few days depending on how much interesting people have in this proposal.

Purpose

I've always loved the way demonspawns work, they are by far my favorite race in the game. However, I always felt like the mutation concept had more design space that wasn't being used.

Potions of mutation and mutagenic chunks are also 2 of my favorite things in the game, and by far my favorite mutation to get was the "rapidly mutating" mutation. There is something satisfying about mutations, something fun about the randomness involved in it and the satisfaction gained from getting exactly the mutation you were hoping for(or even one that you kind of wanted). Its for this reason that I think a race that is based around this concept of mutation roulette deserves to be linked into and experimented with a bit.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Tiktacy on Thursday, 31st March 2016, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks: 2
chequers, Dungeoneer

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 31st March 2016, 03:20

Re: Race Proposal: Slimelings

rElec- sounds really painful to deal with.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 31st March 2016, 14:01

Hurkyl wrote:rElec- sounds really painful to deal with.

The Eels in Lair, oh my gosh. You have to exclude any water you see just to be on the safe side.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 31st March 2016, 14:06

Elitist wrote:
Hurkyl wrote:rElec- sounds really painful to deal with.

The Eels in Lair, oh my gosh. You have to exclude any water you see just to be on the safe side.

I think Eels could easily one-shot a lot of characters before they could even react. And there are still daggers of electrocution, sky beasts, wands of lightning, shock serpents, storm dragons, titans, nikola, electric golems....

And unlike, say, rF-, rElec- would be very difficult to correct.

(also, avoiding all water is really annoying. I'd likely never play the race just to avoid the tedium if I felt it were necessary to do)

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 18:38

I, too, share a love for the evolving mutation and playing mutation roulette with chunks and potions. Having a race that mutates randomly and also happens to be a slime would be really cool, especially if it had its own mutations exclusive to it- or maybe just the ability to get jiyva's amazing mutations by means of evolving? If you want it to be comparable to demonspawn, the mutating would have to be faster than just evolution 2 I think.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 19:45

I have thought about something analogous a couple of times in the past and always came to the same conclusion... there is just too much overlap with Jiyva.

A god that will basically turn you into your proposed species. If you want to play a slimeling worship jiyva.

What I'm currently tossing around is some sort of species based on metal that also eats metal.
Eats gold, and equipment. Can't ever use gold (ie shops).

MP regains slowly but will gain mp from eating metal. This might get tedious... still thinking about it.

Sort of like Ghoul but for magic I suppose.

I think this might have been proposed though with Golems.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 18th April 2016, 06:10

I have been thinking about a slime species too, but not around the mutation game. My idea was to have a slime specie, that would not "wield" or "wear" anything. Rather, it would engulf stuff to gain their magical effects. It would not benefit from any weapons or armors damage or protection benefits, but only the magical benefits they would offer. (Thus making mundane armor and weapons useless) Item type would also not matter, they would have a set amount of slots that you could fill with anything you find. However, removig items could only be done my dissolving them, which would destroy the item. (This would encourage to hoard stuff like resistance rings etc. in order to be able to swap stuff, but it might not be too bad considering that the amount of resistance items you find are still very limited) Or perhaps they have no way of "unwielding" items, when they are full, they are full and you need to think carefully how to build your character.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 18th April 2016, 07:39

a unique mutation that gives them increased chance to receive beneficial mutations from all sources except enemy attacks
This would actually be an excellent mutation to throw in the mutation pool for general usage.
remove handsome distillation

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 18th April 2016, 07:42

MrRokkomies wrote:t would engulf stuff to gain their magical effects.

Nethack kinda does this, and it's pretty cool.

A ring of conflict can be eaten for a chance of obtaining conflict as an intrinsic. Note that intrinsic conflict has the same nutrition cost as extrinsic conflict, minus the ring hunger.

https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Ring_of_conflict
remove handsome distillation

Return to Game Design Discussion