Allow the player to train useless skills.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 20:46

Allow the player to train useless skills.

The typical argument against this is something like: It is never correct to train a 'useless' skill, and therefore including the option for players to do so would only mislead players. Not only are there already 'typically incorrect' options available for the player (such as Xom and mutagenic chunks), but I believe that there are situations where training 'useless' skills could be appealing.

1) Shops exist, so it is possible to know you will have access to an item before you actually have that item in your inventory.

2) The sif thread brought this up, but currently there are god/acquirement mechanics waited towards your skills. Is it unreasonable to want sif to drop a book of translocations as a spriggan, or to want trog to drop a crossbow and bolts (just because you like to use them)? Maybe--again, these may be 'suboptimal' character building choices, but ultimately they are player decisions and I feel they should be allowed.

3) It is already possible to train useless skills, via manuals. If the manual skill boost is enough of an incentive to train a useless skill, why is a strong aptitude not incentive enough (i.e. polearms on a merfolk)?

If 'misleading players' is a real concern, the toggle could be kept but rephrased: "[*] relevant|all skills" or something similar.

For this message the author amaril has received thanks: 4
braveplatypus, dowan, duvessa, yesno

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 13:05

Re: Allow the player to train useless skills.

I dont think its misleading but wrong to incentivate players to go out of their way after something that they dont already have. In a dungeon crawling game you are supposed to adapt to what you get instead of planning ahead. Everything you may want to play with is offered during character creation.
You shall never see my color again.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 17:25

Sometimes you know you will have something soon, or as the OP said, maybe you follow sif, but don't want another conjurations book because you are already happy about the conjurations you have available. Maybe you want a necro book, but none have generated in game. Why not let the player just train necromancy?

The player can already carry a useless weapon/memorize a useless spell to unlock the skill to train, so you already can make those suboptimal choices, you just have to make an extra suboptimal choice first.

An example of when this approach actually makes a little sense is for example a HEAE. A high elf has good long blade apts, but you find a dagger of venom on D1. Now, that dagger of venom isn't going to stay a good melee weapon thoughout the game, and you like to melee, so you know you'll pick up long blades sooner or later. So you train long blades, which crosstrains into short blades, and save yourself a little XP. You're a little less effective than you would be if you trained short blades, but more effective than you'd be if you didn't train any weapon skill.

It doesn't incentivize players to do anything, it just allows them the option. You even have to press an extra button on the skills screen (which naive players should supposedly ignore and leave on auto anyway). Plus, I am allowed to train spellcasting and spellcasting alone from turn 0 as a berserker, so the player can already make terrible skilling decisions freely.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 20:03

That would be great if i could play a transmuter of sif and get book of necromancy followed by a book of minor magic, if instead i got akashic record and book of death i would be screwed now, wouldnt i?

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 21:34

I like this idea tbh.
I typically play melee or some sort of hybrid, and I *know* I'll be using a buckler or shield. Typically I'll hit Lair without finding one, and with the large amount of XP available in Lair and the S-branches, I wouldn't mind being able to already have shields at ~4 so that when I find a buckler I can already have that skill online.
This is one of those options I think should be available.
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 14th April 2016, 17:41

I think this would be a good change. Besides permitting the player to prep for shield usage or manipulate Sif gift odds, it would make it easier for high level casters to save up for spells directly rather than needing to start with crappy low level spells. There have been several times I've wanted to prepare for casting Lichform, but I can't start training the transmutation component because I don't know any other tmut spells...

To avoid confusing new players, maybe it could be an rcfile option (defaulting to off), or else maybe the game could prompt you: "Are you sure you want to train a skill you can't use right now?"
<Sequell> elmdor is a greaterplayer!

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 14th April 2016, 17:48

The only reason this isn't the case right now is because the skill table is overwhelming for newer players and the devs want to keep it simple. But, the option to show "useless" skills already exist, so maybe just change the key word on their into something else and finally add the ability to train all.

They've come a long way from victory dancing, time to finish what they started.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 14th April 2016, 19:30

dynast wrote:In a dungeon crawling game you are supposed to adapt to what you get instead of planning ahead.

In dcss though, this is often not true. The magic system rewards planning ahead (i.e. to eventually use a powerful spell you must first train a skill that serves no present benefit), and certain play styles (such as hexes/stabbing) encourage the player to 'branch out' offensively in order to overcome future threats.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 14th April 2016, 20:04

I guess i should have been more specific. Yes, there is some sort of planning ahead, for example if i start a crossbow hunter i am pretty sure my goal is to have a triple crossbow, but then again, im already training for that and im already using a crossbow, if i start a mage of any sort i will want the ultimate spell of that book at some point, in case of a elemental mage i will want to have more than one element. The thing we are talking about here is allowing players to train skills so they can game the acquirement mechanic, get lucky or just fall on their faces, and i think thats bad. Of course, who am i to judge someone else's decision.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th April 2016, 20:43

Currently if I want to train charms to cast haste I have to memorize it (or another charms spell) before I can actually train the skill to cast it, wasting spell slots on something with 100% fail for a while. This is stupid.
You're tripping over yourselves to either come up with practical applications for training skills you can't currently train, or prove that there aren't practical applications for training skills you can't currently train, and both are equally silly, because that doesn't matter. If I want to train a skill I should be able to train the damn skill without jumping through hoops to make the game think I can "use" that skill.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 4
Aethrus, dowan, nago, Shard1697

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 14th April 2016, 21:02

Sure, if you have the book you should be able to train for it, even if its on the shop and you havent bought it yet.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 14:52

Why even make you have the book? If players want to make decisions like getting firestorm online in lair, plan ahead for something that might never happen, or arbitrarily restrict themselves from using some items or skills, the game already lets them, it just makes you have some random item on hand.

The game lets me train long blades if I have 27 mace&flail skill, a +9 demon whip of killing things, and a -5 long sword of sucking. Clearly, I would be stupid to do so, but I have the option already. So lets not pretend the current system prevents players from making bad decisions.

Gaming acquirement stuff is really a very minor part of this, but again, players should have the option to try. Worst case scenario, they die. Best case scenario, they have more fun with the character than they would have otherwise. Both of those are fine outcomes. The game makes its opinion pretty clear already when you have to press the 'useless skills' button before being able to train them.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks: 2
Aethrus, duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 15:48

If players really want to use this "self molesting" strategy i wont object to it anymore...

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 20:59

I could see this being abused to perhaps force certain god gifting or acquirements.

For example you might choose Staves (the weapon) really early which is typically unavailable but has extremely good acquirement probability.
Some one (I think Kvaak or Wheals) ran the numbers on wizmode and its like 50% lajatang of fairly good brand at level 12 skill.
They may have changed acquirement branding pools though.

If you are a magic dude you can also acquire magic staves as well.

One could argue this is probably a dumb strategy but it might be worthwhile if you want to scum a little... particularly for awful mummies.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 17th April 2016, 17:13

Just had a character recently that wanted Controlled Blink from their Akhasic Record but didn't really want any lower level translocations spells nor wanted to open up eight spell levels ahead of time to start getting ready to learn it. Would appreciate this change.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 18th April 2016, 03:59

I don't like this idea. I feel that a character should have a requirement of some exposure to a spell or weapon type in their hands before they should be able to start trying to study/practice it (as it currently is.)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 18th April 2016, 05:18

svendre wrote:I don't like this idea. I feel that a character should have a requirement of some exposure to a spell or weapon type in their hands before they should be able to start trying to study/practice it (as it currently is.)

This sounds like a flavor argument. DCSS's design philosophy consistently prioritizes gameplay over flavor. If flavor was really important here, we'd bring back old mechanics like requiring shields or weapons to actually be equipped for train them, or victory dancing. But we don't, because that's now how DCSS's design works.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 18th April 2016, 05:59

Quazifuji wrote:
svendre wrote:I don't like this idea. I feel that a character should have a requirement of some exposure to a spell or weapon type in their hands before they should be able to start trying to study/practice it (as it currently is.)

This sounds like a flavor argument. DCSS's design philosophy consistently prioritizes gameplay over flavor. If flavor was really important here, we'd bring back old mechanics like requiring shields or weapons to actually be equipped for train them, or victory dancing. But we don't, because that's now how DCSS's design works.

I'll clarify, I said this because I feel that it adds strategic depths without a lot of tedium.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 18th April 2016, 20:21

What strategic depth does it add? "ctrl-f mace if I want to train maces" or whatever doesn't seem like a meaningful amount of strategic depth to me, at least not enough to be worth the annoyance.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
dowan

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 18th April 2016, 20:55

svendre wrote:I'll clarify, I said this because I feel that it adds strategic depths without a lot of tedium.

Can you give an instance of a scenario where being unable to train a skill without a relevant item in your inventory or spell memorized creates an interesting decision?

In this thread, it seems there are a handful of cases that currently exist in which you might want to train a skill, but are currently not allowed to:

1. Cases where meeting the requirements to train the skill is trivial but inconvenient (memorizing a spell that you don't want to cast or can't cast yet, hauling around a weapon or shield that you're not using).
  2. Training to use an item or spell that's in a shop that you can't afford yet.
  3. Earning Sif piety without memorizing a spell.
  4. Attempting to manipulate god gifts or acquirement scroll results.
  5. Taking a gamble and training skill for an item or spell you don't have yet, banking on finding it before you die.

I think 1 is a clear case of tedium without any meaningful strategic decision. 2 I don't find particularly interesting either way. 3-5 all seem like cases that are generally suboptimal to me, so I don't think stopping the player from making these poor decisions if they really want to makes the game any less strategically interesting. Do you think there's a more interesting case I missed? Or that one of these cases is more interesting than I've given it credit for?

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks:
duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 18th April 2016, 20:59

You cannot currently train necromancy if you find a pain dagger on D1 until you find a necro book. Even with the current 'you must have an item of that type' restriction, you should definitely be able to train necromancy if you have a pain item!

For this message the author dowan has received thanks: 2
runewalsh, Shard1697

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 18th April 2016, 23:03

dowan wrote:You cannot currently train necromancy if you find a pain dagger on D1 until you find a necro book. Even with the current 'you must have an item of that type' restriction, you should definitely be able to train necromancy if you have a pain item!

This is actually one of the most annoying cases imo.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th April 2016, 01:34

I would be in favor of changing "carried or memorized" to "encountered" that way you don't have to travel back for things, and once a training slot is opened it can't be closed again.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
pumpyscump

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2016, 06:23

Quazifuji wrote:
svendre wrote:I'll clarify, I said this because I feel that it adds strategic depths without a lot of tedium.

Can you give an instance of a scenario where being unable to train a skill without a relevant item in your inventory or spell memorized creates an interesting decision?

In this thread, it seems there are a handful of cases that currently exist in which you might want to train a skill, but are currently not allowed to:

1. Cases where meeting the requirements to train the skill is trivial but inconvenient (memorizing a spell that you don't want to cast or can't cast yet, hauling around a weapon or shield that you're not using).
  2. Training to use an item or spell that's in a shop that you can't afford yet.
  3. Earning Sif piety without memorizing a spell.
  4. Attempting to manipulate god gifts or acquirement scroll results.
  5. Taking a gamble and training skill for an item or spell you don't have yet, banking on finding it before you die.

I think 1 is a clear case of tedium without any meaningful strategic decision. 2 I don't find particularly interesting either way. 3-5 all seem like cases that are generally suboptimal to me, so I don't think stopping the player from making these poor decisions if they really want to makes the game any less strategically interesting. Do you think there's a more interesting case I missed? Or that one of these cases is more interesting than I've given it credit for?

Sure, here's an example:

Suppose I have a merfolk with a massive aptitude for polearms (+4) who started with a magic background thus has no polearm. Now, let's say this merfolk finds some good slaying item or armour or for whatever reason you decide it would be good to switch to a melee or hybrid build. You then come across a nice (but not end-game) non-pole arm weapon but you have a poor aptitude with it. At this point, you need to make a decision:

1) Shall I train a poor aptitude because of this weapon I found?
2) Shall I hold off on changing my focus to melee until I find a polearm?

If I can train polearms at any time, those decisions still exist but you are given an easier more obvious choice: use the good non-polearm weapon you found with a poor aptitude to train pole arms. You may say that this does nothing but increase the number of decisions, but recall that this character has other strong reasons to get melee started asap (slaying,etc.) I believe if there are two equally difficult choices, it is a more strategic situation than if there are three choices but one of them negates the other two.. leaving you with one single more obvious choice and less strategy. If additional choices can be made where they are all equally difficult to decide between then it's an enhancement.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2016, 06:41

svendre wrote:Sure, here's an example:

Suppose I have a merfolk with a massive aptitude for polearms (+4) who started with a magic background thus has no polearm. Now, let's say this merfolk finds some good slaying item or armour or for whatever reason you decide it would be good to switch to a melee or hybrid build. You then come across a nice (but not end-game) non-pole arm weapon but you have a poor aptitude with it. At this point, you need to make a decision:

If I can train polearms at any time, those decisions still exist but you are given an easier more obvious choice: use the good non-polearm weapon you found with a poor aptitude to train pole arms. You may say that this does nothing but increase the number of decisions, but recall that this character has other strong reasons to get melee started asap (slaying,etc.) I believe if there are two equally difficult choices, it is a more strategic situation than if there are three choices but one of them negates the other two.. leaving you with one single more obvious choice and less strategy. If additional choices can be made where they are all equally difficult to decide between then it's an enhancement.

But that is a terrible example, if you don't have a pole arm yet, but feel strongly inclined towards melee, and really really don't want to waste the (unimportant trivial amount of) Xp on a different weapon skill, the correct answer is still not to train pole arms (which gives you absolutely zero benefit right now) the correct answer in that situation is to train fighting, or defensive skills. Skills which do benefit you right now now, and will continue to do so even once you find a pole arm.

I am not saying there is no such example, only that this isn't one.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
duvessa

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2016, 06:56

Siegurt wrote:
svendre wrote:Sure, here's an example:

But that is a terrible example, if you don't have a pole arm yet, but feel strongly inclined towards melee, and really really don't want to waste the (unimportant trivial amount of) Xp on a different weapon skill, the correct answer is still not to train pole arms (which gives you absolutely zero benefit right now) the correct answer in that situation is to train fighting, or defensive skills. Skills which do benefit you right now now, and will continue to do so even once you find a pole arm.

I am not saying there is no such example, only that this isn't one.

I guess we have different views on spending xp for a weapon type (or spell) you don't intend to use later in the game, I do it as a last-resort not as an obvious choice. Now if you are going to say "but it hardly costs you anything to level the skill up a couple levels", then to that I would say: you're also not getting that much from it either. I view that as you clear the game, enemies keep getting more difficult, and you need to be prepared not only for what you are facing in the immediate present, but keep up with the difficulty curve. Some times it makes sense to make tough choices which are difficult in the present but will reward you in the future. The correct answer being not to train pole arms might be the case, but perhaps not. Perhaps you've already trained fighting up some but haven't come across the polearm yet, now it's more expensive than something with a +4 apt and since it's a general skill it's not going to be as potent either. Throwing more points into fighting will give you some additional ability along the way, but at the moment you find a polearm, you will not be as strong as if you had balanced the two. Maybe that will be fine, but maybe not. Being less powerful later on in the game can be an issue. There are cases where you can judge with reasonable probability that you will find something (ie: I've found the shoals entrance, so I know I'm likely to find a polearm when I'm ready.)

Here's a situation that I'm often faced with in a game. I've got a branded dagger, but I am sure I want to train a different weapon type for the character. So, there is a cost to that - I train fighting, or something else. The net result is that the character is in fact weaker (getting less effect fighting with an untrained weapon) until I find the weapon type I want to use and can begin using it in a trained state. Actually that branded dagger often will continue to be the best choice even after I've found the alternate weapon until the skill is high enough (to keep attacks at 1.0 auts, increase accuracy and the brand) This isn't as much of an issue in a game taking your time to auto-explore every corner of each level because you are very likely to find all the weapon types. It is more of an issue in a game where you are diving into the dungeon more quickly. What I would do almost every time then, is spend some xp gained from that branded dagger (or whatever) and put at least a little bit into the weapon type that I hope or expect to find soon. It's in that moment you get the weapon, you are now better off for having done it. For me, tough decision removed. Having some skills trained ahead of time may not always be useless. It's a free buff to allow it, so at the least they shouldn't be called "useless".

While I did not like the old method of skill training "dancing", and I most certainly utilize manual training... at least from a flavor stand-point the current system seems a bit strange (wielding a dagger training axes because it's in inventory.) Training something you don't even have or have seen is going even further in that direction. I feel like at least wielding a weapon should be a requirement for it being able to train even while multiple weapons are still selected. I get why that would be awkward though because you could weapon swap then kill something with a spell or mostly kill something with a dagger and make the final blow as an axe to get around that. You could have a more complicated system where even if you have 3 different weapon types selected for training, only a % of the xp per kill can go into the weapon training based on the damage done by that weapon type. Anyways this is getting off topic and I don't think such a system would be worth the time invested, I think it's fine currently.

You want to add a mechanic which allows you to make easy decisions when they are easy (even if they are more difficult some times). I want to preserve a mechanic which sometimes forces you to make tough decisions.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2016, 08:21

svendre wrote:put at least a little bit into the weapon type that I hope or expect to find soon

No matter what, this would be bad. I'm all for free training of skills but I would still never spend exp on a weapon type I'm not currently using. Make the decision when you find the weapon you want to use.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2016, 09:34

Sprucery wrote:
svendre wrote:put at least a little bit into the weapon type that I hope or expect to find soon

No matter what, this would be bad. I'm all for free training of skills but I would still never spend exp on a weapon type I'm not currently using. Make the decision when you find the weapon you want to use.

So, then why are you for free training of skills? It sounds like at least for weapons, the total number of scenarios where you would utilize it is zero. You say bad, but you don't qualify it with anything. There are previous posts of several people explaining why they want free training of skills and how it would help them. I'm not the only one saying it could be helpful. I don't like the idea because it can be helpful without any drawbacks. It's when you're put between decisions with a drawback on all sides that you have to make more difficult choices, or in other words, more strategic choices. There was a person talking about, I only have a dagger but I want to train long blades... I get why... they want a little short blades via cross training but not a lot, they don't want to waste xp. as they aren't planning a long-term stabbing character.

If you're at fighting 10, with a crappy aptitude, and you want to train something with a high aptitude, using my merfolk example... how can you say that spending all your xp to push fighting to 12 instead of pole arms up quite high (even if you don't have it in your hands yet, but you know the shoals is nearby, etc.) that it's always bad? I think people push fighting (and spellcasting) too high in general, and would often be better off spending more on their specific weapon type or magic school. The difference could be: I struggled to obtain one decent pole arm using some branded dagger with no weapon training in daggers and now I'm suddenly fine to clear the rest of the shoals, versus I may or may not be able to get my pole arms up high enough in time to safely clear the rest of the shoals. I don't think fighting 12 + weapon school 0 is stronger than fighting 10, weapon school 8 (or whatever, haven't done the math and depends on exact aptitudes.) All you would have sacrificed was a couple points in fighting along the way. So, if you wouldn't ever train a weapon that wasn't in your hands already what would you do? Yeah of course you could put that xp in somewhere else than fighting but it still doesn't invalidate my point. A character with fighting 10, weapon 10, armour 10, shield 10 -- is way better than fighting 11, weapon 0, armour 11, shield 11 (or whatever it comes out to.) The combined damage mitigation and output is stronger overall. That's something like where you would be unless you dumped xp into some other weapon type you aren't going to use. Sure you can drop everything and rush to get fighting 11, weapon 6, armour 11, shield 11, but how can you say it's going to be great? If you never find the weapon, then what... do you train fighting and armour to 27 and leave all weapon abilities at 0?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2016, 10:58

svendre wrote:So, then why are you for free training of skills?
So that I don't have to carry a shield when I've found one I want to use but want to train some Shields skill before I wear it.Also I might do it with spell skills if I know what spell I'm going to memorize next.

But I should have said 'haven't yet found' instead of 'not currently using'. If I'm going to switch from short blades to long blades, for example, I might start training LB before I actually start using a long blade. But still I must have found a long blade I'm going to use.

svendre wrote:A character with fighting 10, weapon 10, armour 10, shield 10 -- is way better than fighting 11, weapon 0, armour 11, shield 11 (or whatever it comes out to.)
Not if the character does not have a weapon that uses the weapon skill.

svendre wrote: If you never find the weapon, then what... do you train fighting and armour to 27 and leave all weapon abilities at 0?
If you don't have a weapon, weapon skills at 0 seem right to me. I start to train a weapon skill when I have a weapon I'm going to use and feel like training the skill is better than training something else.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Sar

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2016, 16:27

Sprucery wrote:
svendre wrote:So, then why are you for free training of skills?
So that I don't have to carry a shield when I've found one I want to use but want to train some Shields skill before I wear it.Also I might do it with spell skills if I know what spell I'm going to memorize next.

But I should have said 'haven't yet found' instead of 'not currently using'. If I'm going to switch from short blades to long blades, for example, I might start training LB before I actually start using a long blade. But still I must have found a long blade I'm going to use.

svendre wrote:A character with fighting 10, weapon 10, armour 10, shield 10 -- is way better than fighting 11, weapon 0, armour 11, shield 11 (or whatever it comes out to.)
Not if the character does not have a weapon that uses the weapon skill.

svendre wrote: If you never find the weapon, then what... do you train fighting and armour to 27 and leave all weapon abilities at 0?
If you don't have a weapon, weapon skills at 0 seem right to me. I start to train a weapon skill when I have a weapon I'm going to use and feel like training the skill is better than training something else.

I'm primarily talking about being able to train shields before you've found a shield - that is what I think would be a bad change. If you want to find a shield, stash it or leave it on the ground and train shields then come back for it later - I don't have any big problem about that, it isn't what I was addressing mainly (you had not found a shield yet.) I think then asking for the free training of skills in that case is just asking for one or two extra inventory slots over what you currently have, and you may as well just ask for a couple more inventory slots rather than asking to need to run back and forth to pickup an item you started training.

As for the example character, I agree if the character doesn't have the weapon at all, then those skills aren't better in that moment. That wasn't the flow of what I was describing though. I was saying that there can come a point where you are better off for having pre-trained a weapon than if you did not. That point in time is established when you obtain the weapon.

...if you never find "the weapon", meaning you had some plan of which weapon you wanted to train... of course you will find "a weapon", always unless you die first on D:1 or something. Everyone starts training every skill they want to train when they feel it is the right time to train it, and they have the item allowing them to train it... that's not saying anything at all really. I feel like my point is being lost here. I don't like the idea of allowing characters to train things they have not found yet.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2016, 18:13

I have two situations where I want to train a skill for immediate benefit where the game will not currently let me:
1. I have found a pain weapon, but have no necro spells available. I want to train necromancy, which offers both an immediate and long term benefit. I think this one should be allowed even in the current system, I have found a necromancy item.
2. I am playing a non-weapon background, but I intend to use an end-game melee weapon at some point. I find an elec short blade. I know I will use long blades (maybe I'm a HE), so I'd rather just train long blades, and allow the cross training to make me proficient in the short blade in the meantime.

I have the strongest feelings about number 1, I just cannot see a reason why I can't train necromancy for an immediate damage boost.
Number 2, maybe the difference between training short blades now, then training long blades later ends up being small, but even still, it's more XP efficient not to spend anything on short blades. Still, I realize this is a weaker case than number 1.

Really though, I don't think I should have to justify why I want to train what I do, I want to make the character the way I want to. The dungeon will kill me if I do too many stupid things, the devs don't need to protect me from myself. Again, auto skill distribution exists already to protect the player from his own skilling stupidity, when I go to manual I want to screw up my character the way I want!

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 22nd April 2016, 21:01

Potions of experience allow you to train any skill, for some reason.

Return to Game Design Discussion