Why does Powered by Pain get worse as it gains ranks?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 7th April 2016, 08:25

Why does Powered by Pain get worse as it gains ranks?

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but currently the activation requirement for the mutation, according to the wiki, gets harder and harder as it gains rank. The only good part about gaining ranks is that you get more MP; the effects of Might and Agi don't get any stronger. Both Might and Agi are more important than MP for a physical character without spirit shield, and most of the time, especially if you're playing really carefully, they're still more important.

It's not like Demonic Guardian where you start to get nasties at higher ranks. What gives?

This should be changed so that it gets easier or so that the effect a Ds gets, similar to Demonic Guardian, gains incredible strength as one gains ranks.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th April 2016, 08:41

Re: Why does Powered by Pain get worse as it gains ranks?

the wiki and learndb are actually just wrong, mut level doesn't affect the damage needed to trigger it anymore

i fixed the learndb entry

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
nago, pumpyscump

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 7th April 2016, 08:46

Thanks duvy.

I feel like this should be archived for future generations to highlight the importance of proper documentation. '_')b

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 7th April 2016, 12:54

Frankly it is one of the best and most undervalued DS mutations. Especially lategame it's quite OP.
aka: Innameasone and electricaloddity

Return to Game Design Discussion