High Five For Less 5 Press: 'o' = rest and auto

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 22nd March 2016, 21:46

High Five For Less 5 Press: 'o' = rest and auto

I just had a thought on reducing the times the player needs to press 5 to rest: Make it so 'o' automatically rests until full health and mana and 'O' does the current auto-explore mechanism without resting. Alternatively, the opposite could be true. 99% of the time the player is going to want to rest until full health before exploring, so why not cut out the extra tedium?

Everyone and their mothers knows how often the player has to rest in the game, and anything that allows for more convenience and more streamlined gameplay is a welcome improvement in my mind. I personally don't feel that bothered by resting after each battle, but I think a lot of people will agree that at least having the option would be very convenient.

I don't actually know what 'O' does in the current version, but I imagine it could be moved to a different key without much issue.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 22nd March 2016, 22:04

Re: High Five For Less 5 Press: 'o' = rest and auto

Tiktacy wrote: 99% of the time the player is going to want to rest until full health before exploring, so why not cut out the extra tedium?

That's really not true. A lot of trivial encounters might leave you at >80% HP. Many players would gladly accept the marginally increased danger in exchange for shaving off a few dozen turns (this really does add up over time, leading to a higher score).

Perhaps autoexplore could have a player-configurable HP threshold, below which it will either ask if you want to heal first, or just do it automatically.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 22nd March 2016, 22:30

ion_frigate wrote: A lot of trivial encounters might leave you at >80% HP. Many players would gladly accept the marginally increased danger in exchange for shaving off a few dozen turns (this really does add up over time, leading to a higher score).

If you're trying for score you aren't going to be using autoexplore anyway. I guess the same is true if you really care that much about piety decay. This proposal looks fine to me, although I guess you could do the same thing with a script.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 22nd March 2016, 22:30

Tiktacy wrote:I just had a thought on reducing the times the player needs to press 5 to rest: Make it so 'o' automatically rests until full health and mana and 'O' does the current auto-explore mechanism without resting. Alternatively, the opposite could be true. 99% of the time the player is going to want to rest until full health before exploring, so why not cut out the extra tedium?

This exists as an option:

Code:
explore_auto_rest = false
        If true, auto-explore waits until your HP and MP are both at
        rest_wait_percent before moving.

where 'rest_wait_percent' is the same percentage that '5' uses, 100 by default.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 02:48

neil wrote:
Tiktacy wrote:I just had a thought on reducing the times the player needs to press 5 to rest: Make it so 'o' automatically rests until full health and mana and 'O' does the current auto-explore mechanism without resting. Alternatively, the opposite could be true. 99% of the time the player is going to want to rest until full health before exploring, so why not cut out the extra tedium?

This exists as an option:

Code:
explore_auto_rest = false
        If true, auto-explore waits until your HP and MP are both at
        rest_wait_percent before moving.

where 'rest_wait_percent' is the same percentage that '5' uses, 100 by default.

What are your thoughts on making the default be set to "true"?
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 03:05

As someone who often doesn't rest till full HP (piety is expensive, you know) I do not support the proposed change. In this instance, the game is fine the way it is.

edit: just noticed
and 'O' does the current auto-explore mechanism without resting
from the op. I suppose this would be fine, though it doesn't seem super necessary.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 17:24

Tiktacy wrote:What are your thoughts on making the default be set to "true"?

My thoughts are "please no".

Return to Game Design Discussion