Suggestion: Make Blood food, not potions

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 16th March 2016, 23:16

Suggestion: Make Blood food, not potions

Change 'Potion of Blood' to 'Bottle of Blood', and make it a food item, consumed with 'e' rather than 'q', with a prompt like all non-herbivore species get for consuming chunks.

Potions of blood no longer drop randomly in dungeon, and exist only as food items for vampires. So they should just be food. They play no part in the potion ID game and are not really functionally potions in any way. All other species can conveniently press 'e' at any time to be prompted to consume fresh meat in their inventory, while Vp need to remember the location of potions and, if it changes (I usually assign mine to 'B' but sometimes I run out and pick up other things, which end up in the 'B' slot) without their noticing, may even accidentally quaff a harmful or valuable potion.

Maybe this would simplify food a bit and make Vp enjoyable for more players.

For this message the author yesno has received thanks: 3
BobIsDead, Rast, Shard1697

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th March 2016, 23:20

Re: Suggestion: Make Blood food, not potions

In the meantime you can autoinscribe potions with something like "@q1" and then use "q1" to quaff (or use item_slot, I think). This suggestion seems reasonable though.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 16th March 2016, 23:21

Cool, I didn't know about that. Thank you.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 17th March 2016, 09:01

correct me if i am wrong but doesnt word "potion" imply a mix of different ingredients?
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 17th March 2016, 10:08

well maybe each vampire likes to put some spices in their own bottled blood... i mean, i hear some of them correct them with alcohol too.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 17th March 2016, 16:50

kroki wrote:correct me if i am wrong but doesnt word "potion" imply a mix of different ingredients?

Not in roguelike tradition, where you can get potions of acid or even potions of water.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 17th March 2016, 17:38

If vampires and food both still have to remain in Crawl despite the fact that they're horrible, no-good, very bad mechanics, then this seems like a totally reasonable proposal. Just allow vampires to make "bloody chunks" or something.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 17th March 2016, 17:47

I like this suggestion. Simple and beneficial.

@archaeo: I have previously been one of the most vehement anti-vampire players (I think there is vampire hate speech in my rcfile still), but I feel they are much more playable after their more recent quality of life changes. In some ways their food game is less annoying than normal since it uses one inventory slot instead of up to 6.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 17th March 2016, 22:24

archaeo wrote:If vampires and food both still have to remain in Crawl despite the fact that they're horrible, no-good, very bad mechanics, then this seems like a totally reasonable proposal. Just allow vampires to make "bloody chunks" or something.

The mechanical change is the important thing, but imo if it were implemented it should be as "bottle of blood"/"You drink a bottle of blood.", just to keep with vampire blood-drinking tradition.

Return to Game Design Discussion