Cancel Persistent Charms When Forgetting Spell

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 12th March 2016, 03:30

Cancel Persistent Charms When Forgetting Spell

In my current game (17.1) I had memorized Repel Missiles and had it active. I had one spell level remaining, and was headed to Spider where I know most enemies will happily stand in flame clouds but few enemies have ranged attacks. So I decided to temporarily forget Repel Missiles and memorized Conjure Flame. The RMsl status remained, and I enjoyed its benefits two or three times vs. Asterion's Major Destruction before it expired.

This feels unflavorful and abusive. If persistent effects like the current D/RMsls connected to memorized spells end up being part of the new Charms, let's please make sure these effects expire immediately if you forget the associated spell.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, ydeve

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 12th March 2016, 06:42

I don't want to discuss your proposal. But I'd like to add that delayed fireball has the same game mechanics, e.g. you get a buff after casting it (the fireball can be released by an ability) and you keep it after forgetting the spell.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 12th March 2016, 17:44

Re: Cancel Persistent Charms When Forgetting Spell

Sure. Not really a mechanic that should be extended to more spells (and hopefully RMsl/DMsl won't be sticking around as-is either), but in the meantime this is definitely an improvement.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 13th March 2016, 00:05

Wow, thank you! Aside from a single entry vault, I think that's my first contribution to the game!
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 14th March 2016, 11:38

I very explicitly disagree with this. Is it something that can be even abused? Every round of forgetting and then relearning RMsl costs a scroll of amnesia or a book. In exchange, you get a few free turns of RMsl before it goes down. I think that's a perfectly fair exchange. If there was a spell that stayed up literally forever after being cast, your suggestion would make sense, but not here.
If I play online, I do so under the screenname Marenglen.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 14th March 2016, 11:54

With Sif it costs a very small amount of piety. You could definitely abuse it there. The idea is that you should not be able to get the benefit of spells that you don't have memorized.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 14th March 2016, 13:35

With Sif the 20 spell cap is already trivial anyway.

But despite that this can't really break the game, it is optimal in some cases. Because it's tedious it should be changed.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 14th March 2016, 16:04

RMsl is such an excellent spell that I never even thought about forgetting it (unless I updated to DMsl).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 14th March 2016, 16:22

Turukano wrote:RMsl is such an excellent spell that I never even thought about forgetting it (unless I updated to DMsl).
I know! This one time, though, it worked out. Conjure Flame is OP in Spider.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2016, 19:35

In Shoals, too.

Return to Game Design Discussion