Channel Tab?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2016, 09:34

Channel Tab?

Can we get a channeling version of tab? Just want a simple:

Hold single button to channel.

If anything is in LoS stop.

If your hunger level changed; force more, but don't necessarily stop.

If your hunger level is starving stop.

If your MP is full stop. (Sif Channeling will run forever for some reason).
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2016, 11:05

Re: Channel Tab?

There's almost certainly a way to do this in your rc file. I bet you could get it to eat for you if your hunger state changes too.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2016, 16:45

You can use the repeat command (0) to set this up. It doesn't work in regular macros, but someone on irc told me it works with one of the other things you can do with ~ (I'm too lazy to really care myself).

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 13:43

How does the repeat command even work? I used to assume it checked for monsters in sight (and other autoexplore stoppers), and I've certainly seen it behave that way, but it also has let monsters walk up to me and hit me plenty of times.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 15:36

To respond more to the substance of this feature request, this would amount to a kludgy patch for the actual problem of out-of-combat channeling. It's the worst kind of mechanic: strictly optimal and annoyingly tedious, and something that the average player will do hundreds of times per game. Automating the annoyance away only serves to hide the bad mechanic; instead, we should probably fix channeling so that it doesn't do this, but that's a harder problem.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 15:48

How about, if you aren't at full mana or hungry, waiting a turn automatically causes you to channel. It's not a perfect heuristic but I think it'd work okay. I guess I'm talking about sif channel - what to do in cases of multiple sources is unclear to me.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 16:07

That would be functionally identical to turning channeling into mana regen. Maybe that's the right idea, but I assume there's some kind of resistance to that idea or it would already be done.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 16:46

archaeo wrote:That would be functionally identical to turning channeling into mana regen. Maybe that's the right idea, but I assume there's some kind of resistance to that idea or it would already be done.

No it wouldn't - it'd be mana regen on rest. Extra mana regen when moving/attacking is meaningfully different - consider the case of walking away from a speed 10 monster.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 16:52

Also with Channel as it currently is it maxs out (at max invo) at an average of 5.375 mana/turn or 43 mana every 8 turns (max of 9, min of 1/turn); but with troll-like hungering. Which would be insane as a passive.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Return to Game Design Discussion