Ru Says: Typo?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 11th February 2016, 23:49

Ru Says: Typo?

"Ru says: Sacrifice that you might gain great power!"

Was a message I noticed when I re-entered a game while a follower of Ru. Is this a typo or am I just reading this incorrectly?

I assume its suppose to say "Sacrifice so you might gain great power!" but even that sounds kind of weak. I understand though, considering he is pretty new and not much energy was put towards a line of dialogue that is rarely even seen to begin with.

For the sake of game polish, here are just some suggestions for alternatives:

"Ru Says: No longer shall your sacrifices be in vain."
"Ru Says: I have not use for the sacrifice of others, but with self-sacrifice comes great honor."
"Ru Says: Give me thy'n eye, and I shalt make thy vision thrice as strong."
"Ru Says: Who needs arms when you can crush your strongest foes with the bat of an eye."
"Ru Says: Keep your petty soul, simply give up that which binds you to the physical realm and I shall grant you my powers."
Last edited by Tiktacy on Friday, 12th February 2016, 02:10, edited 1 time in total.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 11th February 2016, 23:58

Re: Ru Says: Typo?

Tiktacy wrote:"Ru says: Sacrifice that you might gain great power!"

At least Ru should say something else to characters who have maxed piety and thus can't make any more sacrifices...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th February 2016, 00:08

Tiktacy wrote:"Ru Says: No longer shall your sacrifices be in vein."

drugs are bad mmkay

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 4
archaeo, kuniqs, prozacelf, Sprucery

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 12th February 2016, 00:49

Tiktacy wrote:"Ru says: Sacrifice that you might gain great power!"

Was a message I noticed when I re-entered a game while a follower of Ru. Is this a typo or am I just reading this incorrectly?

I assume its suppose to say "Sacrifice so you might gain great power!" but even that sounds kind of weak. I understand though, considering he is pretty new and not much energy was put towards a line of dialogue that is rarely even seen to begin with.

It's a fairly archaic, but theoretically correct, grammatical construct. It means the same thing as "Sacrifice so you might gain great power!"

"Ru Says: No longer shall your sacrifices be in vein."
"Ru Says: I have not use for the sacrifice of others, but with self sacrifice comes great honor."
"Ru Says: Who needs arms when you can crush your strongest foes with the bat of an eye."
"Ru Says: Keep your petty soul, simply give up that which binds you to the physical realm and I shall grant you my powers."

You've got some typos in some of these too. Not sure if it's a deliberate joke or not, but just in case: "vein" should be "vain", "not" should be "no" (and "self sacrifice" should probably be "self-sacrifice"), and I've never seen the spelling "thy'n" before, I don't know if it's ever used or note but "thine" would probably be more conventional.

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks: 3
Lasty, ontoclasm, Tiktacy

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 12th February 2016, 02:10

Quazifuji wrote:

"Ru Says: No longer shall your sacrifices be in vein."
"Ru Says: I have not use for the sacrifice of others, but with self sacrifice comes great honor."

You've got some typos in some of these too. Not sure if it's a deliberate joke or not, but just in case: "vein" should be "vain", "not" should be "no" (and "self sacrifice" should probably be "self-sacrifice"), and I've never seen the spelling "thy'n" before, I don't know if it's ever used or note but "thine" would probably be more conventional.

Thy'n is not considered incorrect spelling by my computer. More though importantly, it looks cooler.

The miss spelling of vein was unintentional though, my bad. :lol:
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 12th February 2016, 03:30

Worth mentioning that variable god speech on startup is supported, but only used by Xom and by Zin when under penance. Why not keep the existing line and incorporate some/all of your new ones? Variety seems like a good thing to me.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 12th February 2016, 20:20

Tiktacy wrote:Thy'n is not considered incorrect spelling by my computer. More though importantly, it looks cooler.

Are you sure it's not just because of how your computer's spellcheck handles apostrophes? I can't find anything about that spelling on the internet, and it looks really weird to me.

Return to Game Design Discussion